Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the shifter cable booger bushings have a shelf life of 14 to 16 years! Lost the first one a couple years ago after moving from Ohio to North Carolina.

Then this month, after having moved to Florida about a year ago, the final 3 crumbled in quick succession.

Cheap and easy replace job, but still interesting. It could have something to do with the relocations to warmer weather. Guess I'll find out if I manage to keep it another 16 years!

Anyone else have these fail? (I'm pleased with the life span... not a negative post at all!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like the shifter cable booger bushings have a shelf life of 14 to 16 years! Lost the first one a couple years ago after moving from Ohio to North Carolina.

Then this month, after having moved to Florida about a year ago, the final 3 crumbled in quick succession.

Cheap and easy replace job, but still interesting. It could have something to do with the relocations to warmer weather. Guess I'll find out if I manage to keep it another 16 years!

Anyone else have these fail? (I'm pleased with the life span... not a negative post at all!)
View attachment 146513
I had this happen exact same thing after buying my car 2 months ago, second day I had it they crumbled to pieces. Just buy some new ones, I actually bought two sets just in case lol

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
lift the e brake handle and pull the shift knob and boot

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
the shift knob and boot dont even have to come off. you can pull the boot out of the console and leave it on the shifter with the knob in place.

My knob is a huge pain to get off, so i just do it this way every time.

Reactions: YellowSRT805

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, as SRT-4 projects go, the shifter cable bushings are pretty simple.

With the center console, I found it helpful, once you've lifted the console over the parking brake, to lean the seats back to give yourself more room to maneuver the console out of the vehicle.

With the engine bushings, the main challenge is getting the battery tray out. There are a lot of cables and obstacles and it can feel really awkward. But you just keep (carefully) pushing and pulling things, while holding some of the obstacles out of the way, and it'll come out. Getting it back in is way easier.

One thing to remember is to be relatively careful with the plastic connections at the end of the shifter cables. You definitely do not want to break one of these. If you have some bushings that haven't crumbled—but you know they probably will soon—and you want to remove it, check the removal instructions that come with the bushings. It involves using two screwdrivers to apply even pressure from both sides so you don't snap anything. I found that my final bushing crumbled pretty easily, so I just destroyed it instead of having to pry anything off.

Also remember to make sure you seat the bushings all the way on the pin. That last 8th of an inch or so is really tight, but that's what ensures that the cables stay where they're supposed to!

·
Registered
442 Posts
the shift knob and boot dont even have to come off. you can pull the boot out of the console and leave it on the shifter with the knob in place.

My knob is a huge pain to get off, so i just do it this way every time.
pull straight up knob pops off. lol. dont damage the boot. AFAIK you cant get new ones.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
pull straight up knob pops off. lol. dont damage the boot. AFAIK you cant get new ones.

lol i'm well aware of how to do the job, but like i said, mine is a pain to get off. For whatever reason, my knob fits very VERY tightly to the shaft. I have driven other peoples SRT-4s and experienced the knob coming off on hard 1-2 shifts... mine has never budged.

The boot comes out of the center console very easily by pushing at the back (or pulling from the front, i dont remember) at the bottom and it'll unhook.

·
Registered
442 Posts
lol i'm well aware of how to do the job, but like i said, mine is a pain to get off. For whatever reason, my knob fits very VERY tightly to the shaft. I have driven other peoples SRT-4s and experienced the knob coming off on hard 1-2 shifts... mine has never budged.

The boot comes out of the center console very easily by pushing at the back (or pulling from the front, i dont remember) at the bottom and it'll unhook.
Oh ok. i take it off, just to be sure i dont break it, since they are hard to find.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I'm still running the r/c car ball bearings in mine with the 1 booger on the passenger side ( can't remember which)but its the one that rotates. Installed in 08 or 09. Q-ball shift know with 3 set screws so it's never flown into the back seat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts