Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
drolander said:
I don't know, but the stock knob is pretty crappy looking. I don't think you want it.
Yea, no shit. Cheapest thing on the car (aside from the BOV). Not that I'm complaining. Trust me, you do not want this knob for anything, except maybe to throw through the window of your local Dodge dealership.

The only good thing is that at least I can get my whole hand around it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Alright here goes, the newbie might actually answer someones question for once!

Is it....um....here goes....Blow Off Valve?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
meddle said:
Alright here goes, the newbie might actually answer someones question for once!

Is it....um....here goes....Blow Off Valve?
Correct!

·
Registered
29 Posts
i found heating it a bit on the PT cruiser helped and then a solid pull, or light hit with a soft blow mallet, rubber mallet, whatever - should get it off nicely. It's a glued setup, not threaded. :)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
So if it IS just glued on there, how would you go about attaching an aftermarket shiftknob to the lever, such as a Sparco or a Momo? would you just glue that one on there in the old one's place? hmmmmmm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It *IS* glued, and it's a GLUE/PRESS fit. Some of the early PT's have glue and press fittings, whilst some later ones only have a press fit but no glue, but mine was both glued and pressed on for some reason and it's an '03. *shrug*
IF you have a smooth bore drilled shiftknob that matches the shaft diameter.. you can do this...
Start by using a medium grade sandpaper, then roughen the upper most top portion as well as surrounding area on the shaft and clean with solvent.
After doing this, use the recomended expoxy/adhesive that come with the glue on shift knob. Pour a little bit into the bottom of the knob/T-handle *well.. you neon folks probably won't go with the old 'traditonal' T-handle hot rod shift knob :p... anyway..
Pour a bit into the bottom and swirl it around a little bit.
Then determine the oriantation of the knob which you desire, Then go on to placing the knob on the shaft fully and let it cure *overnight* following any other gluing directions in the kit. some require warmer weather to cure, some take less time, some take more time.
Just a VERY rough guide, but yes, you can *glue* them on, or use an adapter machined to fit the stock setup with a threaded top that attaches via a set screw setup. *shrug* depends on how fancy/what knob you want to get.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
It's just you, or maybe I"m so used to my GLHS, anything shorter than a Mack truck shifter feels like a toothpick :) If you can find a manual 80's Charger, try it, you won't believe it. Snow sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'll agree with GLHS837, I'm soo used to driving trucks and older muscle cars and hot rods with floor mounted shifters with long throws and long shift rods, hoping in the PT feels *natural if a bit shortt* even though it's a fairly long shift rod and 90% of the people complain about the floor mounted shifter and the length of the shift rod.
I love it!
Driving BMW's and such is kinda... weird now where they have a console mounted shifter with a super short throw that just kind of snicks itself into the next gear. It's all in what you drive i guess...

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Gary C said:
I'll agree with GLHS837, I'm soo used to driving trucks and older muscle cars and hot rods with floor mounted shifters with long throws and long shift rods, hoping in the PT feels *natural if a bit shortt* even though it's a fairly long shift rod and 90% of the people complain about the floor mounted shifter and the length of the shift rod.
I love it!
Driving BMW's and such is kinda... weird now where they have a console mounted shifter with a super short throw that just kind of snicks itself into the next gear. It's all in what you drive i guess...
The current stick in the SRT-4 is a short throw version.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
14 Participants
NeonWaSp
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing