Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is insane. i was pumping gas and my friend played a little joky joke by pulling my shift knob off while i was in paying for gas. i got back in the car and grabed for the knob and it was'nt there. HAHAHA yeah funny shit. anyways later after i dropped him off i was going home and was going around a slow ass caviler and shifted from 3rd to 4th and the fuckin shift knob came off in my hand! what the hell? i made sure to push it back down hard before i left the gas station. has this happened to anyone else? i'm bout to super glue that bitch on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,957 Posts
I think damn near everyone has had the knob come off whilst shifting at some point. Learn to not pull up on the knob while shifting... or get a an STS (I recommend a Maddog :D)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
the best is my buddies CTS-V, if you bang 2nd hard, or GENTLY pull up on the shifter, it comes right off : THE BASE, THE BOOT, THE KNOB, whole assembly just comes right off! not bad for a $40,000 car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn. i've only had my car for 2 weeks, and i just joined this forum but since the knob is'nt a screw on type i can see how this would happen to many people. i was gonna go with the TWM short shifter and knob soon but now it'll be ordered tomorrow. yeah i'm glad i did'nt toss it through the back window that woulda sucked :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Haha...this boggles my mind how some of u guys pull ur shift knobs off. I've had my car for 10 months now and i've never had the knob pop off on me. I struggled to get the knob off the shift lever when i installed my Mopar STS....
I generally shift gears in a relaxed manner, but i do rip thru the gears agressively if i'm speeding around. Some of u r probably pulling up on the knob as u shift (maybe without even realizing it). This topic has been brought up sooooooo many times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RedSRT05 said:
Haha...this boggles my mind how some of u guys pull ur shift knobs off. I've had my car for 10 months now and i've never had the knob pop off on me. I struggled to get the knob off the shift lever when i installed my Mopar STS....
I generally shift gears in a relaxed manner, but i do rip thru the gears agressively if i'm speeding around. Some of u r probably pulling up on the knob as u shift (maybe without even realizing it). This topic has been brought up sooooooo many times.
yeah when i'm ripping thru gears i do tend to pull on the knob but i did'nt relize it untill today and its never popped off before my friend pulled it off at the gas station. and if this is a repost i'm sorry...new guy here :hi:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,503 Posts
this blows my mind too how yall pull these things off. when you guys shift 1-2 or 3-4 do you pull up and back or just up? lol. I've had my car for a hair over a year now and i've never remotely had this problem. Probably because i've grown up on manual tranny's and i'm only 20. :lol:


Sounds like you guys need a nut n' bolt to keep it from coming off. :readclose
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
manic_mopar said:
this blows my mind too how yall pull these things off. when you guys shift 1-2 or 3-4 do you pull up and back or just up? lol. I've had my car for a hair over a year now and i've never remotely had this problem. Probably because i've grown up on manual tranny's and i'm only 20. :lol:


Sounds like you guys need a nut n' bolt to keep it from coming off. :readclose
all i've ever owned was manual tranny cars, when i get in a automatic i push for non existant clutchs. i know how to drive, now i've only had my car for 2 weeks but it has'nt happened before but that was sooo weird, and scary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
I've cut the palm of my hand shifting from 1-2 when the cueball come flyin off. There's a small pin on the inside of the stock knob that helps hold the knob on the shifter. When you first remove the knob - the pin breaks, making it super easy to remove again. And again. And again. And... yep... again.

Just go aftermarket dood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
My stock shift knob came off the first few weeks I had my SRT-4. I immediately replaced the whole assembly with a Perrin STS. The shift knob threads on and is made of aluminum, and it shifts frickin' beautifully. Yep, it's there to stay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,232 Posts
I have the maddog shifter, it was hard coming off and when i put the stocker back on, it has stayed on....I guess 03's are better :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mattyd752 said:
I have the maddog shifter, it was hard coming off and when i put the stocker back on, it has stayed on....I guess 03's are better :lol:
yeah i guess the 03's are better, ya know having a LSD tranny sucks and all :kickinthe

really though how do u like that shifter? i was gonna go with the TWM cause it lowers knob hight 1.5 inch and i personally would like that. i am open to a different shortshifter though but right now i'm leaning toward the TWM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
that happened to me too twice, got the mopar sts and put a little JB weld in the mopar shift ball and put it on let it dry overnight and that was 7500 miles ago no more pulling the ball off. Im positive it will be a little if not hard to come back off but hell better than losing in a race because you pulled tha damn shift ball off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,737 Posts
lol ive heard of this happening alot and it happend to my buddy a few times while racing :rofl: . but since ive had my car, its never happend to me racing or just driving. :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top