Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys . I feel like I have searched everywhere for the answer but I cannot find it . I recently had my motor rebuilt . putting it back in I cannot get the shift cable on the drivers side to connect . its almost like it is a quarter inch too short . Is it routed wrong ? the cables seem to be in tact just fine . they push and pull just fine , bushings are in perfect shape .

any ideas or a fix would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
i'd guess you have them reversed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the adjustment under the centre console, by the gear stick.

hey hybridkid . Ive seen you posting alot about similar issues .

I have already taken the center console out . and adjusted the cables . its set as far as it can go . I need about a quarter inch to make it all work .
is there a possibility I have it routed wrong ?
Facing the motor ... would the shift cables go to the left or right of the hot pipe ?

·
Premium Member
6,801 Posts
My cables had to be rerouted due to the turbo setup I have. The routing should not be an issue if you did not mess with it before putting the engine back in, the cables should be a straight shot from behind the heatshield above the downpipe. Silly question, but have you tried moving the levers around on top of the transmission?
IIRC right side of the hit pipe but again I do not have the same setup like most on here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
facing the motor . mine come to the left of the hotpipe . but its a straight shot .
and yes . everything moves correctly on top of the transmission .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok , under the center console , I have the 8mm bolt loose so I have all the play in the world , it was adjusted perfect before I took the motor out ,
Then the cables are there , the right hand one will clip on in neutral , but then it won't go into 1st and second it won't let the pin go forward enough because it's about a quarter inch too short ,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
There is no way , black to the right and white to the left , unless I am wrong ?
Correct.

It sounds like it may not be in the correct position on the trans bracket. Try removing the clip and double check the seating. Check out the photo I attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bracket was never taken off , the only thing that was taken off was the 2 ,18 mm bolts off and popped the bushings off ,

Is there any way the bracket could have bent when the motor was coming out ?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The bracket was never taken off , the only thing that was taken off was the 2 ,18 mm bolts off and popped the bushings off ,

Is there any way the bracket could have bent when the motor was coming out ?
Possibly, check and make sure your cables sit exactly like this. If I remember right there are 3 bolts, 2 on top 1 hidden behind.

·
Premium Member (Lifetime), SRT of the Month, 2011
8,913 Posts
The bracket itself can be mounted in the incorrect holes, I believe. There is an extra hole in the case and it is the same thread pitch as the 2 18MM stubbies that hold the cable bracket. Give that a look and compare to other pics.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same exact problem right now.
if you're dealing with cables that have been in the car and working before, the only issues possible are that you have the cables backwards, the bracket is installed incorrectly, or the cables are routed wrong. Try to get us pictures of your setup and we'll try to assist you further.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having the same issues won’t let me select 1-2nd gear, cable seems to short?!?! Need help ASAP everything is routed the same as the old cables.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts