Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Using these Forums to read up as much as I can on the SRT4 platform and electronics. I used to have a 89 lebaron with a 2.5 holset turbo, so always been a turbo mopar guy. I'm finishing up my charger swap now, and have a 62/62 Turbo on it.

I ditched the Factory trans and mounted a Hybrid A-568 trans to it from a Turbo-dodge which puts the starter on the back side of the block.

You can see some of my build here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/projectcar/comments/j2r7oy
UPDATE: SHE LIVES!

New video by Adrian V

New video by Adrian V

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
i'm doing an srt4 omni swap..
why get rid of the t850?
what's the clutch setup, hydraulic or cable ?
running srt4 pcm? tuning with HPtuners ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! There's a couple people on YouTube and turbo-mopar with srt omnia. That sounds like a lot of fun.

The T-850.... There is nothing strong about that transmission, and costs way too much to build one- and even built ones have issues. (No offense or anything, but just stating the facts) so I went with a much stronger hybrid A523/568 transmission with a OBX LSD. It is a cable driven ACT Xtreame clutch.

It's running the factory SRT4 body and engine harness, and PCM. Looking at doing a trinity tune setup, but still undecided on what is the best way to go. Seems the diablo software has a lot of vendor support, but I need to look into HP tuners as well.
Any insight?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Sweet! There's a couple people on YouTube and turbo-mopar with srt omnia. That sounds like a lot of fun.

The T-850.... There is nothing strong about that transmission, and costs way too much to build one- and even built ones have issues. (No offense or anything, but just stating the facts) so I went with a much stronger hybrid A523/568 transmission with a OBX LSD. It is a cable driven ACT Xtreame clutch.

It's running the factory SRT4 body and engine harness, and PCM. Looking at doing a trinity tune setup, but still undecided on what is the best way to go. Seems the diablo software has a lot of vendor support, but I need to look into HP tuners as well.
Any insight?
if your not going to do your own tuning.. i've used dusters (dave trojen sp) tune.. very good.
i wanted more control and have moved to hptunners, excellent

what power level are you going for ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I do want to get to doing my own tuning, I just need a good tune to kick off, and something I can learn and tweak.

As the car sits now it's at 1800lbs without me in it, or a cage yet. Obviously the more power the better, and going for more Drag then street or turn racing. But I'd like to get to 450ish in the near future.

Once it's running and driving more regularly, I'm hoping to go with a big port head, and meth... I want corn fed (e85), but closest places to fill up are 2 hours away.

Now that I was made aware from this thread of HP Tuners, I'm really leaning in that direction .

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
So I do want to get to doing my own tuning, I just need a good tune to kick off, and something I can learn and tweak.

As the car sits now it's at 1800lbs without me in it, or a cage yet. Obviously the more power the better, and going for more Drag then street or turn racing. But I'd like to get to 450ish in the near future.

Once it's running and driving more regularly, I'm hoping to go with a big port head, and meth... I want corn fed (e85), but closest places to fill up are 2 hours away.

Now that I was made aware from this thread of HP Tuners, I'm really leaning in that direction .
there are plenty of tunes in the HP repository, and its a good community ... pm if you have any questions

if you have a built bottom end, you should be able to hit 700+ with the 6262 and pump e85 ... PM if what a list of vendors i used to build my CNC head for $700.. ,, need a corresponding fuel system walbro 525, 1500cc, return ..

is there anyone running the 568 at 700hp?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there are plenty of tunes in the HP repository, and its a good community ... pm if you have any questions

if you have a built bottom end, you should be able to hit 700+ with the 6262 and pump e85 ... PM if what a list of vendors i used to build my CNC head for $700.. ,, need a corresponding fuel system walbro 525, 1500cc, return ..

is there anyone running the 568 at 700hp?
Cool. I sent you a PM. I'm running a sumped tank with 5/8" (if I remember right) fuel lines, and a DW750 pump. Aeromotive FPR, 1000cc injectors and a boomba rail. (I have the stock injectors in it right now, just so it doesn't dump fuel to drive it in and out of the garage) I bought the setup minus the pump from a guy who was running e85 on his neon, but like I said, e85 isn't as available here, so it's going to be either meth or race gas to bring up the octane.

Also have to get a 3 bar map and tip. Because of my intake manifold, my map doesn't seat in the intake- so I did some research and it looks like it's easy to wire in a GM t-bar map, (which is how I set up my lebaron back in the day) or I was thinking I may just run two 3-bar TIP sensors, because from what I think I understand, they are the same thing/connection anyway? And I would prefer to mount them both to the fender.

Or because I have an external wastegate and not computer controlled, do I even need to run a vacuum hose to my tip? Being that my boost isn't computer controlled anyway?

People are running that 568 hybrid trans up to 900hp, so it can take some abuse.

Thanks for the tip about the repository, I'll look into that. Any good venders you recommend to buy HP tuners from?

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
PM if what a list of vendors i used to build my CNC head for $700..
PMs dont seem to be working... but i wanna know!

·
Super Moderator
15,696 Posts
Hey everyone,

Using these Forums to read up as much as I can on the SRT4 platform and electronics. I used to have a 89 lebaron with a 2.5 holset turbo, so always been a turbo mopar guy. I'm finishing up my charger swap now, and have a 62/62 Turbo on it.

I ditched the Factory trans and mounted a Hybrid A-568 trans to it from a Turbo-dodge which puts the starter on the back side of the block.

You can see some of my build here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/projectcar/comments/j2r7oy
Very nice, I owned several 80's early 90's turbo Dodges, including a 1988 Lebaron GTC 2.2 turbo convertible. Unfortunately that car caused me a ton of headaches (3 engines, 2 transmissions, fuel pump, leaky convertible top, etc). Best of luck getting everything honed in and working correctly.

·
Super Moderator
15,696 Posts
VERY NICE!

I started out with a 1983 Dodge Colt (actually a mitsubishi, but the power/economy transaxle was a lot of fun on that car)
Then the Lebaron
Then moved on to a 1987 Plymouth Sundance with a 2.2 Turbo
Then we bought a 1991 Dodge Shelby Daytona IROC (full name, rather ridiculous) at a police auction for 190 bucks, broken transmission cable, hit hard behind the door. We were getting ready to gut the car for parts, especially engine, but we found a cable and routed it through and got the transmission working....

Took it up and down the driveway at the farm (about a quarter mile) and holy SHXT no way was I parting that thing out. It was quick (my SRT is faster but at the time, oooh yah, that was speedy to me). Fixed it, and wow, never again, a quarter on a car like that with that giant sloping window... what a horrific experience, but learned a lot, and had a ton of fun with the car before the engine gave out, like the old turbo models generally did, at about 120k miles.

My user name was picked because back in 2003 I got ahold of a 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T with the turbo IV DOHC lotus head 2.2 turbo motor. Was looking to buy a Dodge Shadow with the spoiler/skirts/hood bump,forget what the model was called, when I got deployed to Iraq. Got home with 18,000 in cash, decided to put a bunch of it down on a new SRT-4. Why put together a 15 year old car with a questionable engine (the turbo iv had amazing performance, but reliability, not so amazing) when Dodge had a prebuilt faster car right out of the box.

Now my SRT-4 sits awaiting me to get off my ass and get the transmission fixed, otherwise it's pristine with just under 80k miles.

That being said, part of me still wants to get ahold of a good body Shadow and put that turbo IV motor into it, just to see how it could go.

One thing is for sure, your car is going to surprise a LOT of people. If I remember right those Chargers weighed only like 2400 lbs, that's 500 lbs less than an SRT-4, that's a big difference in weight right there. I'd have to take off both back doors, the entire interior, and drop about 50 lbs off of my 230 lb frame to get there in my Neon lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
VERY NICE!

I started out with a 1983 Dodge Colt (actually a mitsubishi, but the power/economy transaxle was a lot of fun on that car)
Then the Lebaron
Then moved on to a 1987 Plymouth Sundance with a 2.2 Turbo
Then we bought a 1991 Dodge Shelby Daytona IROC (full name, rather ridiculous) at a police auction for 190 bucks, broken transmission cable, hit hard behind the door. We were getting ready to gut the car for parts, especially engine, but we found a cable and routed it through and got the transmission working....

Took it up and down the driveway at the farm (about a quarter mile) and holy SHXT no way was I parting that thing out. It was quick (my SRT is faster but at the time, oooh yah, that was speedy to me). Fixed it, and wow, never again, a quarter on a car like that with that giant sloping window... what a horrific experience, but learned a lot, and had a ton of fun with the car before the engine gave out, like the old turbo models generally did, at about 120k miles.

My user name was picked because back in 2003 I got ahold of a 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T with the turbo IV DOHC lotus head 2.2 turbo motor. Was looking to buy a Dodge Shadow with the spoiler/skirts/hood bump,forget what the model was called, when I got deployed to Iraq. Got home with 18,000 in cash, decided to put a bunch of it down on a new SRT-4. Why put together a 15 year old car with a questionable engine (the turbo iv had amazing performance, but reliability, not so amazing) when Dodge had a prebuilt faster car right out of the box.

Now my SRT-4 sits awaiting me to get off my ass and get the transmission fixed, otherwise it's pristine with just under 80k miles.

That being said, part of me still wants to get ahold of a good body Shadow and put that turbo IV motor into it, just to see how it could go.

One thing is for sure, your car is going to surprise a LOT of people. If I remember right those Chargers weighed only like 2400 lbs, that's 500 lbs less than an SRT-4, that's a big difference in weight right there. I'd have to take off both back doors, the entire interior, and drop about 50 lbs off of my 230 lb frame to get there in my Neon lol

Yeah man, that's badass! I also have a 1999 ws6 TA with a M6. when I got back from Iraq I put a 9" and gears into it. still is a blast to drive.

My shelby gutted, but with no cage yet, and the SRT transplant weighs about 1850lbs without me in it.... so pretty light. My goal is to make people butthurt with a 80's shitbox.

·
Super Moderator
15,696 Posts
Well, the ultimate, and it's been done, are the SRT-4 powered Omnis and Horizons out there. I remember one guy who was running the stage 3 upgrade on the SRT-4 engine with one, he said it was really too scary to drive haha. I can remember just a naturally aspirated 2.2 powered Omni with the 5 speed being super fun but also really dangerous.

That being said, you won't be that far off at all in terms of the weight, that is for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the ultimate, and it's been done, are the SRT-4 powered Omnis and Horizons out there. I remember one guy who was running the stage 3 upgrade on the SRT-4 engine with one, he said it was really too scary to drive haha. I can remember just a naturally aspirated 2.2 powered Omni with the 5 speed being super fun but also really dangerous.

That being said, you won't be that far off at all in terms of the weight, that is for sure.
factory curb weight to curb weight, and Charger is 40 lbs lighter then a factory Omni. (less doors and windows)

It's going to be a scary ride.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
VERY NICE!

Was that the same as the 1981 Plymouth Champ I had with the "Twin Stick" transmission?
I had a friend who always teased me with "Be a chump, buy a Champ".
I traded it in 1984 for a new GT-350. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,696 Posts
Was that the same as the 1981 Plymouth Champ I had with the "Twin Stick" transmission?
I had a friend who always teased me with "Be a chump, buy a Champ".
I traded it in 1984 for a new GT-350. :)
I'm sure it was haha. I learned a lot on that, my very first car.

I learned that when the water temp gauge spikes and you smell antifreeze and see it steaming in the cabin, you don't say "Oh man, I'll have to check that when I get home" with about 10 more miles to go.

Went another mile and the engine grenaded.

The water pump had failed, and dumped all the coolant out of the engine. Had I pulled over right away, would have probably been driving that car for another couple years after that. Instead...

BOOM!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I'm sure it was haha. I learned a lot on that, my very first car.

I learned that when the water temp gauge spikes and you smell antifreeze and see it steaming in the cabin, you don't say "Oh man, I'll have to check that when I get home" with about 10 more miles to go.

Went another mile and the engine grenaded.

The water pump had failed, and dumped all the coolant out of the engine. Had I pulled over right away, would have probably been driving that car for another couple years after that. Instead...

BOOM!
Hilarious! Thanks!

I used mine to resurrect my social life. Debbie was 5' 11" and "between cops". That car had a lot of "leg room" LOL. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts