Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay.....here's the deal....ive had clear red LED turn signal bulbs forever now...clear when off, bright vibrant red when on...but last summer i got busted on them by the cops, took them out, and ran the stock crappy orange bulbs the rest of the year. But over winter, i put the red led's back in, and today the car comes back on insurance and ill be driving it. however, i have a feeling ill get caught again w/them BUT i do NOT wanna remove them. point of this post is this:

is there anyone here that can help or tell me if i can run a separte wire/ground wire as well, to a toggle switch inside my car......and the other end hook into WHICH wire(s) on EACH of the turn signal light harness....so that WHEN i see a po-po...i can flip the toggle and my headlights will stay on at night time, but just the inner turn signal bulbs will go out so he doesnt see red (since thats what grabs the attention). if u cant help...dont post...i dont need people saying "well if u'd just run the amber bulbs..." or "...if u turn them off completely they'll still notice..." ...... just if u can help...help, if not, say nothing. thanks a lot, anyone's help is greatly appreciated!

- Christian:cool:

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Well, I have a question for you since it is in regards to a switch and your bulbs staying on. Do your front turn signals stay on when you turn your lights on? I live in england and when the did some light conversion thing to my car they changed the way the lights work. All of the neons are like that over here so I don't have anything to reference against. Good luck on your light mod though. Don't let the po po catch ya.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
LOL nah, its because you didn't have the light conversion done. That means I need to look at your car next time. It is bullshit. They turn those off and add on those stupid white ones to the front grill. GAY :gay:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
find the wire that connects the turn signal bulbs (parking lights) to the headlights. Cut the wire and splice a switch in so that even when your headlights are on you still have autonomous control of the parking lights and your turn signals still function right.

·
Premium Member
7,976 Posts
I'm not even going to suggest anything on this. Mainly for the pure safety aspect. I can see it now, you put in the switch, head out to meet up with some friends, forget the switch has them turned off and then you turn into your destination. Car in the other lane does not see your turn signal on and then.....BAM wreck. You get sued for not having a turn signal on and that you've tampered with the ability to turn them off or on at your discretion. It to me would not be worth it. Could be playing with a potential law suit :readclose

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haknslash said:
I'm not even going to suggest anything on this. Mainly for the pure safety aspect. I can see it now, you put in the switch, head out to meet up with some friends, forget the switch has them turned off and then you turn into your destination. Car in the other lane does not see your turn signal on and then.....BAM wreck. You get sued for not having a turn signal on and that you've tampered with the ability to turn them off or on at your discretion. It to me would not be worth it. Could be playing with a potential law suit :readclose
true, i see your point.. but even still....WHICH wire? i can twist out each turn signal bulb.....and have the socket where the bulb itself snaps into...w/the 2 or 3 wires i believe on EACH socket coming out of the back of them. WHICH of those wires on EACH of the bulb sockets would i tap into? and once i find out....would i tap into the front passenger side one, run that wire and connect it right spliced into the front driver side one, then from there, run that ONE wire (w/both lights spliced on it) into the cab to a toggle switch w/ground?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I think the middle wire is ground, the left one is parking light and the right is the flasher

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Speicker said:
I think the middle wire is ground, the left one is parking light and the right is the flasher
so what would i do knowing that? which do i tap into on EACH of the plugs w/those 3 wires on the back of each connector w/the bulb in it?

·
Registered
386 Posts
From Reading, it sounds like you want to be able to turn on and off the bulbs for both parking and turn signal lights. For that, tap into the ground. It will cut off both Parking and Turn Signal. If you want to do just parking or just turn signal, you will need to tap into that power wire. The parking light wires and ground match. The turn signal wires are different colors. I make a post for the color of the wires once. I will search for it.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Undertaker said:
Driver:
Black - Ground
Black/Yellow - Parking
Orange/Green - Turn

Passenger:

Black - Ground
Black/Yellow - Parking
Orange/Red - Turn
awesome... u are the man........one last thing...ALL i want are the lights IN my headlight housing to be able to flicked off at the same time, since they are red LED's now. it doesnt matter about my parking lights on the side of the front bumper, unless u meant my parking lights AS my turn signal flashers. main point being...cops CANNOT see that my lights are red...so it doesnt matter if they'd blink or not....i dont want any red to be able to show up when i see one coming at me or from around a bend. so for that....would i tap a wire into each black wire on each turn signal bulb? or each parking wire or each turn wire? once i tap....run that to a switch, and then have the switch what...grounded or powered to something? i cant think now lol but thanks for finding what each wire is:)

·
Premium Member
7,976 Posts
mysrt4ownsyou said:
....i dont want any red to be able to show up when i see one coming at me or from around a bend.
What if they decide to then nail you for not having parking lights on but everything else on? Some of them might question to why soem of the lights were working but others not and still proceed to pull you over.

I'm just pointing out that doing this is a catch 22.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Newsflash. Alot of SRT-4's are being crashed in accidents and some have died. Do you really need to be doing illegal and potentially unsafe mods to your car? Ask yourself how much of a price are you willing to pay just to have red blinkers.

·
Registered
386 Posts
smoger said:
this seems like an awful lot of work just to have red turn signals
It is and I agree with you.

Anyways, your front bulbs are turn and parking. If you tap the ground only, you will cut power off to both turn and parking. If you want to just turn off parking, use the parking positive wire. If you want just turn, you will need a special switch since there are 2 different wires. I have a switch (cant remember where I got from) that allows 2 inputs and outputs that are seperate. So you can essentially run 2 objects into it and use 1 switch to turn it off. Otherwise, you will need 2 switches for just your turn.

I think your best bet is to buy "City Lights" and install them under your turn signals. Keep the Amber but use the red for parking. You can use the wire from your parking lights, use a multifunction switch which will allow you to either turn on "Amber" or "Red" but allow you to keep yourself somewhat "Legal". I did this on my SI and it worked great because at shows I could switch to blue LED's but on the ride home switch back to Amber so I am legal.....all with one switch.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
i agree with smoger. I have done many weird light mods on probably 10 cars along the way, but i have come to the conclusion that safety is priority over being the guy who's just a lil different. Stock amber bulbs are the best flashers out there. Too bad they are fugly. Ive had leds and got cut off and not seen on unprotected left turns because they just dont reflect in that tiny housing well enough. If you want to turn them off as a running light i can see that being a concern and the wiring colors just got posted. put an inline on there and you're done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts