Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo. I recently picked up a clean rust free 04 with new clutch,”new” tranny with shift forks, extenders. But it had a bad cylinder one. Tons of blow by smoke the whole nine. But. It came with a replacement motor with less miles. Upon inspection the replacement motor had a new head. New gaskets. New water pump. I put the replacement in today and it wouldn’t hardly make any noise turning over. So I had my brother the as I stood by the motor. Then. I saw a problem. Coolant was pouring from the head cyliner 1/2 and into the timing cover. So I went to remove the head and it had nice new head stud kit with the nice new head. Then got the head off to ring a blue 2 layer gasket possibly reused cylinder 4 covered in rust mush with scorched cylinders 1/4. Sooo my dilemma is that another replacement motor is pricy. So do I rip apart blown motor one and do new item pistons with the head from motor 2 or sell it all and walk away. I need any advice. Thank you all.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Rust free Neons are getting really tough to find. If the interior is good, and the body is good, along with most of the suspension, I'd try to get a running motor in it.

You may be able to do a bare bones rebuild with the best block without too much cost and effort. Especially since you can transfer good parts from one or the other.

·
Super Moderator
15,658 Posts
Motors aren't hard to find. The PT Cruiser turbo motors, both the touring and GT models, use the same engines. If you have a good body, interior, and most importantly good transmission, I'd take another chance on getting a good engine, or doing a build so you know it is good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts