Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Yea you would drop so much money into it that you would cry. Im not gonna tell you not to do it and blah blah but for the money you could get many many more mods and much more power but yea it could be done. Do it and show us lol

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
You can make any more Twin/Duel Turbo.
All you gotta do is have a exhaust manifold that will support 2 turbo's...

where you gonna stick them is another story. There is just enough room for
1 turbo..dunno where your gonna stick 2..with piping and oil lined..ect ect..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering if it is possible, I'm not actually gonna do it! Unless I come across some crazy cash. Somebody told me it isn't possible to have twin turbo on a 4-cyl b/c a 4-cyl can't have two exhaust manifolds. I'm over here thinking "Why not? Didn't the Daytona have that"

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Well on a 4 cyl it's almost plain stupid to have 2 turbos...as in one turbo per 2 cyl like a twin v6 setup. BUT, I've heard that on a 4 cyl, when you put on a HUGE turbo that requires a lot of exhaust flow to spool up, that you can get a smaller turbo to spool up the bigger turbo faster. I've never actually seen this setup before though but it sounds like it makes sense. My .02 anyhow.

·
Registered
912 Posts
IMO it is pointless to have twin turbos vs. one large single. To get say 200 hp from a twin turbos you are going to haveto move the same amount of air as a larger single, so the idea that two small turbos will spool faster is kinda myth.

qwiksilvertrav said:
Well on a 4 cyl it's almost plain stupid to have 2 turbos...as in one turbo per 2 cyl like a twin v6 setup. BUT, I've heard that on a 4 cyl, when you put on a HUGE turbo that requires a lot of exhaust flow to spool up, that you can get a smaller turbo to spool up the bigger turbo faster. I've never actually seen this setup before though but it sounds like it makes sense. My .02 anyhow.
I don't think a dual sequential turbo setup works. Reason being is once the bigger turbo starts to spool the smaller won't be able to hold the same boost the bigger turbo is putting out. Ie. Larg turbo tops out at 25 psi and the smaller one tops out at 15.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
you could do compound turbos were 1 large turbo is piggy backed onto a smaller turbo, thats how pulling trucks and mud boggers get 30-40psi boost without lag, still have the problem of where to put them

·
Registered
819 Posts
Check out the stock setup of the 93-95 twin turbo RX7. It uses 2 sequential turbos.. a smaller one that spools fast (smaller turbo = less rotational mass = quicker spool), and then uses a vacuum actuated valve between the two turbos to switch to the bigger one, once there is enough exhaust energy to spin it properly. Makes the 3rd gen. RX7 really responsive, but holds a bunch more heat in the engine, and there are problems with the solenoids that switch the valve crapping out. That's why most people when they upgraded those went to a single turbo... simpler, and just as effective, if you can stand a little bit of lag.

Why you would want to do that to an SRT-4 is beyond me though. Lag isn't really bad, and it has a ton of low end grunt already, so it'd be fairly pointless.. but a neat exercise in engineering if you can make it work

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Not that you can't do it, but on a 2.4L four it's going to be more efficient to use one properly sized turbo for whatever application you want to use the car for (street only, street terror, drag strip monster, all of the above, etc.)

The original web site is down, but you might want to check out the archive here to see an example of actually putting two turbos on a four.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts