Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.saturnfans.com/Cars/Future/ionredline.shtml

Sounds pretty hot, in fact it sounds like a carbon copy of the SRT-4. Equal length halfshafts, 17 inch wheels, racing front seats, short shifter, 4 wheel ABS disc brakes, etc. etc.

Air-to-water intercooler is different. :shock:

200/200 hp/tq claimed, no weight given. Stock ION weighs something like 2750lbs though, figure this one to be a bit heavier due to more reinforcement on the frame.

Pics here http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/showgallery.php3?cat=642

Nice to see another domestic FI car, but I wonder how many they'll sell? And for that matter, what will they cost?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Sounds like junk, I'd rather have an SRT. I'm always ragging on Dodge for having crappy build quality but Saturn's is just total crap. Garbage.....

-faast

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drove a 2001 Saturn SL2 for the last two years, never had a problem with the build quality.

Then again, when you build the same car for 10+ years, you tend to build it pretty well.

The ION is all new, so it could be problematic. But then, Saturn is not an ordinary GM division, although lately they've been getting pulled more into the fold...

·
Registered
864 Posts
Looks pretty cool to me. Plus I'd rather have a S/C than a turbo. I don't think I could ever get past the center mounted guages though. We'll have to wait to see how well it performs though.

JC

·
Registered
64 Posts
looks cool, but it needs a drop kit BAD!!! to me it looks alil to high wheel well to the tire.. but that just me...

12lbs boost

wut does the srt have again?

and supercharge.. sounds good, but ur missing the PPPPSSSSTTTT!!!! but yet u get power all the way through the gears... may be a purty quick car. never no i like it...

my .2$

:)

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I'm thinking RSX with 2 extra half doors. The lines resemble Mazda 6.

HMMMMMMMMM

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Doesn't look TOO bad, but I doubt it will be as fast as an SRT. I think it all depends on the price. I'd say around 17k or 18, but that sounds WAY to low doesn't it?? :wink: If it's in that range then it'll definitly be a huge competitor as far as bang for the buck goes...but I don't think it'll come close to the SRT as far as performance goes. Lower displacement and I've never really been to fond of supercharged 4 cycl engines at all. Overall I think it'll fall on it's face.

·
Registered
864 Posts
A1337>PB< said:
looks cool, but it needs a drop kit BAD!!! to me it looks alil to high wheel well to the tire.. but that just me...

No offense but so does the SRT-4. It looks like it's holding it's ass up getting ready to get, um ya.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
see all of you who are too busy ragging on 2nd gen Neons and the SRT4 for their wheel gap is because you have never stopped to thankd Dodge. Why you ask? Well the main reason i bought my 2000 Neon was because they thought about be in that respect. See guys when you load you average sport compact with 2 people in the backseat and the luggage for all 4 ocuupants, what happens? Well your average sport compact would be soo weighed down that it would bottom out. With 2nd gen Neons and SRTs you can accomplish this feat without having to worry about killing the struts, try that in a Civic, Corolla, Ion, Cavi or Jetta see what happens...

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'm not so sure about this new Ion. Car and Driver hated it and made some very valid points, although C&D tends to gravitate more towards fun cars and Saturns are anything but fun. I agree though it needs to be dropped it's kind of awkward and cheap looking IMHO.

-faast

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Good for GM. We need the competition to make PVO step up their performance. It would also force PVO to release a new version of the SRT-4 after the current neon goes away. We'll have to wait and see if the Ion has the performance level of the SRT. But i'm glad to see it.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
ebbtide said:
Good for GM. We need the competition to make PVO step up their performance. It would also force PVO to release a new version of the SRT-4 after the current neon goes away. We'll have to wait and see if the Ion has the performance level of the SRT. But i'm glad to see it.
Yeapppper...we need the competition. I hoping that it is price the same also.

Though, it will not have that much of a top-end due to the low gearing (4.05:1)-meaning it will be out of breath while the SRT-4 will keep going.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Not a Saturn or GM fan by any stretch of the imagination, but this is a good looking car. I agree with the build quality issues with Saturns. I used to see alot on trades and DAMN they shake, rattle and roll. I hope this car provides some good spirited competition!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
AWD OWNZ U said:
A1337>PB< said:

No offense but so does the SRT-4. It looks like it's holding it's ass up getting ready to get, um ya.
bite the pillow , and take it hard ??
yeah o kno i need a drop kit bad .. but ive got better things to do :(

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
btw the ion looks like a cross between a monte carlo and and an evo ..
i say build it what the hell.. the world needs more quick cars

·
Registered
132 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what this Saturn puts down to the wheels. 200/200 may end up being 180/180 to the wheels. SRT will eat its lunch if that's the case.

I like those weird reverse mini rear doors. Very cool way of making a pseudo-2-door coupe that's easy to get in the back. I think its the best looking Saturn yet. Probably good value too if < 20K.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
even if the engine doesnt survive the body style looks really good.. def the best saturn design yet

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
is it me, or is this curiously similar to the force fed cavalier that was hyped some while ago? wonder what made them go with the saturn instead (or first)? and for the record, air to water intercooling on a supercharged vechicle is pretty common...read: gmc typhoon/syclone, ford lightning, and prolly plenty more.

on a side note, i think its ironic how what we are saying about the saturns is very similar to what others say about the neon. personally, i have friends with them, and think they are pretty decent cars if you just need reliable transportation for a cheap price. if i wanted that, saturn, kia, and suzuki would be top on my list. but they just dont do it for me. hell, take a catera or a malibu and put some cheaper materials in it, with body panels made from recycled milk jugs, and you have a saturn LS. a platform car is a platform car. why buy a $50 t-shirt when you can get $15 shirts at target?

edit:
saturn, kia, suzuki...hmm. didnt kia spawn from the end of the chevy/geo efforts? and doesnt gm own 30% of suzuki?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
23 Participants
Xerxes
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing