Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my car failed inspection today because of the autotranny codes that the toys ecu throws. i wasn't expecting this since it's supposed to be only emissions related codes that cause you to fail, but apparently these fall under the category.

so now the question is what to do. it was suggested that we find the curcuits that cause the codes to be thrown, and either ground them or give them power to clear the codes. i have no idea how we could do this, but it's a thought. some help from dodgetweaker would be great as to where these circuits are.

the other option is to swap out the s0 ecu and injectors for the scan. now i'm kinda concerned about doing this since there will be bigger injectors and a bigger turbo on there. so the s0 ecu might have a hard time controling things with the different turbo. also, i would have to drive it 100 miles before the scan tool would be able to get readings from the ecu, and i don't think i feel very comfortable doing that.

anyone have any ideas? i'm kinda in a bind. 19 days and my inspection expires.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
inspections in ny are no longer using the rollers, that's not the problem. they now use the OBD scan to pass or fail you. the s3 w/toys ecu throws three codes that are related to the autotransmission that the pt cruiser has since it's that ecu. these codes cause the car to fail, not the sniffer. so i need to get rid of these codes to pass.

to get the OBD tool to read properly the ecu must have at least 100 miles on it before i bring it back to get tested again. i'm concerned about running the upgraded components for 100 miles on the s0 ecu.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fyi - the codes that the ecu is throwing are:

P0846 - Trans fluid pressure sensor/switch "b" circuit range/performance
P0871 - trans fluid pressure sensor/switch "c" circuit range/performance
P0888 - TCM Power Relay Sense Circuit

it didn't even register the P0633

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
let me know if you find anything out jay. i have to do this soon, inspection is up at the end of the month.

ps - you have my stock map and tip sensors, and i'm assuming i would need them to run the s0 ecu for inspection purposes, right? if so i need to stop by this week and get them from you!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
i do know someone, but i was just hoping that it could pass legally. it seems like every car we own we have to pay someone to pass it. maybe we should start leaving cars stock and we wouldn't have this problem lol.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
johnnyfive said:
Psi chick when you said "it didn't even register the P0633" do you mean the NJ scanner or the car?
the car registers it. when i do the key check it's the only code that appears. on the emissions print out where it gives the reason that the car failed, it does not list the 633 as a problem, only the three tranny related codes.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
phrozen said:
what did you end up swapping over?
put in the s0 ecu, map and tip sensors, as well as injectors. removed the fuses and ground for the toys harness.

i'm being very careful to keep it out of boost, i'll drive it some this week and thursday it will go in for another try at passing.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
at this point we're basically doing a better safe than sorry thing because i only have until thursday to get it to pass. once it passes, we can play with it a little more and see exactly what is required to be removed to make things work.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
so putting in the s0 isn't going to work either. i went out a few mintues ago to put on some miles so that i could go try to get an inspection tomorrow, and after a whole 13 miles i threw p0420 - cat efficiency low. so basically the s3 turbo for some reason screws up the cat efficiency on stage 0. and yes, i have a cat in.

i guess when mopar said for off road use only they really meant it. i now have a $20k piece of metal in my driveway that i can't drive since my inspection is up tomorrow. at this point i think i would have been better off going aftermarket...sure it's more money and not as reliable, but at least i would have a car to drive.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
i still have the s3 fuel rail in. maybe we can change that out too. we guessed that with the smaller injectors it wouldn't be dumping too much fuel with the s3 pump in, but i guess not. this is getting a little rediculous however, having to change basically EVERYTHING back to stock.

phrozen - there is no emissions per sae in ny. it's only the OBD and safety test. no rollers, no sniffers, no nothing. so it's only the codes that causes it to fail.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
i never went into positive boost on the s0 components. i'm concerned about fuel with those dinky injectors. also, the turbo is running weird because of the different map and i'm not too confortable with the idea of boosting on it.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
starkie, that's basically what i'm doing. i have a high-flow cat in so that might be the cause, i never had this dp on with the s0 ecu. but then again, i've not heard that people with s0 are throwing cat codes with a dp on that has a cat, so it's kind of odd.

all the readiness tests are good to go but the cat efficency, so i just have to be very careful driving before it goes in for inspection tomorrow afternoon. it should pass as it is, and then i can put all the s3 stuff back in. the car is not happy with the s0 parts in, it runs all screwy.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
i tried again at two different places today, and it still fails. no one can figure out why either. 2001+ cars are only allowed one not ready status, and that's fine the cat efficiency was going to be that one. but for some reason the inspection computer cannot read the evap system readiness. we hooked it up to a drb last night and forced the test, and it passed and was in ready status. it is still in ready status according to the scanners, but for some reason the inspection machine shows it as not ready.

so i failed agian, twice today. i got a 10 day extention for the inspection, but after that i'm not sure what i can do. i don't know what else to do to make this car pass. i'm about ready to just rip off the s3 components and go with another set up.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
it has nothing to do with the local tech. the machine decides if you pass or fail, not the tech. in ny apparently it's any code and you fail, emissions related or not. this is apprently a big problem as a lot of people have been failing for reasons that have nothing to do with emissions. the dmv is telling the shops not to get involved and for the customer to call the dmv to clear things up, and when the customer calls the dmv they basically say tough shit fix it we don't know anything. gotta love government.

all lines are connected and accounted for. the last thing we can do i guess is put in the stock pump and fuel rail. i'm kinda pissed that we have to do that, this is absolutely rediculous that it has to go that far to get this thing to pass. someone please come up with a better way to do this.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
ok so while i'm very glad to see that you guys are apparently making some progress on the problem of getting s3 to pass, anyone have any ideas on how to get my car to pass in the next 10 days? well, 9 now....

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
phrozen - yes, people have passed emissions on s2 w/out toys. smoger did it in pa sometime this year. s2 w/toys also fails as tony found out today when he went in for an inspection, so he's now in the same boat as i am with the 10 day deal.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
that would be great!

i should have passed already, but i can't for whatever reason, and that's what i want to figure out now. why is this being all screwy? i have all the connections for the evap system in place, i did not remove the 90 degree bend for the intake, so there's no reason that it shouldn't be able to pass already. this is really odd.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts