Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 396 Posts

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my car failed inspection today because of the autotranny codes that the toys ecu throws. i wasn't expecting this since it's supposed to be only emissions related codes that cause you to fail, but apparently these fall under the category.

so now the question is what to do. it was suggested that we find the curcuits that cause the codes to be thrown, and either ground them or give them power to clear the codes. i have no idea how we could do this, but it's a thought. some help from dodgetweaker would be great as to where these circuits are.

the other option is to swap out the s0 ecu and injectors for the scan. now i'm kinda concerned about doing this since there will be bigger injectors and a bigger turbo on there. so the s0 ecu might have a hard time controling things with the different turbo. also, i would have to drive it 100 miles before the scan tool would be able to get readings from the ecu, and i don't think i feel very comfortable doing that.

anyone have any ideas? i'm kinda in a bind. 19 days and my inspection expires.

·
Registered
953 Posts
this may not help much at all but I live in metro atlanta where we have to get emissions. So i talked to my mechanic about the stage upgrades and why they would cause me to fail. He said the larger injectors caused misfires when you started it which tripped the computer, said driving it for about 30 min would kick the signal out. Probably no help at all but thought I'd post anyways.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Its good to run the car hard to get the cat to heat up before you put them on the rollers.

if you must, swap out the ecu and injectors etc minus the turbo. Just set the wga to run low boost, your s0 injectors can handle 10-15psi on that big turbo.

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
psi chick said:
my car failed inspection today because of the autotranny codes that the toys ecu throws. i wasn't expecting this since it's supposed to be only emissions related codes that cause you to fail, but apparently these fall under the category.

so now the question is what to do. it was suggested that we find the curcuits that cause the codes to be thrown, and either ground them or give them power to clear the codes. i have no idea how we could do this, but it's a thought. some help from dodgetweaker would be great as to where these circuits are.

the other option is to swap out the s0 ecu and injectors for the scan. now i'm kinda concerned about doing this since there will be bigger injectors and a bigger turbo on there. so the s0 ecu might have a hard time controling things with the different turbo. also, i would have to drive it 100 miles before the scan tool would be able to get readings from the ecu, and i don't think i feel very comfortable doing that.

anyone have any ideas? i'm kinda in a bind. 19 days and my inspection expires.
as long as you staey out of boost, I see no reason why u cant get testewd with stage0.

·
Premium Member
15,173 Posts
Which codes are those again? Exactly. Then did into the stock neon section to see what kind of signal those get. Your manuals (the ones that came with S3 have the pinouts for SRT and 2.0 neon PCMs. Look close at the troubleshooting steps for the associated codes.

This should lead to knowing what you need to feed which pins. Of course, if these are not just "present" signals like the 2nd O2 sensor, but changing inputs that change with changes in the tranny, like the rationality checks that look for specific changes in one signal compared to others.

It could get hard to dupe those signals real fast. SO damn glad I live out in the weeds.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
inspections in ny are no longer using the rollers, that's not the problem. they now use the OBD scan to pass or fail you. the s3 w/toys ecu throws three codes that are related to the autotransmission that the pt cruiser has since it's that ecu. these codes cause the car to fail, not the sniffer. so i need to get rid of these codes to pass.

to get the OBD tool to read properly the ecu must have at least 100 miles on it before i bring it back to get tested again. i'm concerned about running the upgraded components for 100 miles on the s0 ecu.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
U can doo 100miles in a day! Just stay out of boost. s0 components can handle 270hp no problem. Just keep your boost low. Heck if yu want, disconnect the wga from the wg valve and then you will run 0 boost.
psi chick said:
inspections in ny are no longer using the rollers, that's not the problem. they now use the OBD scan to pass or fail you. the s3 w/toys ecu throws three codes that are related to the autotransmission that the pt cruiser has since it's that ecu. these codes cause the car to fail, not the sniffer. so i need to get rid of these codes to pass.

to get the OBD tool to read properly the ecu must have at least 100 miles on it before i bring it back to get tested again. i'm concerned about running the upgraded components for 100 miles on the s0 ecu.

·
Premium Member
15,173 Posts
Yes, but Hec, what codes will she throw from the signals from the 3 bar sensors not being whats expected. Or from the S0 PCM seeing connections on the Toys interface?

Blah, you can't see these codes that way, it's gotta be a real scanner. I'm not even sure the Autozone kind will get them. I know a DRB will, and obviously a NY state emmisions one will.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fyi - the codes that the ecu is throwing are:

P0846 - Trans fluid pressure sensor/switch "b" circuit range/performance
P0871 - trans fluid pressure sensor/switch "c" circuit range/performance
P0888 - TCM Power Relay Sense Circuit

it didn't even register the P0633

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Damn....I'm looking at the 2.0/2.4Turbo pin-outs from the PCM and the only refernces to anything auto-tranny related are on C4 (GREEN). I don't know if the 2.0/2.4T PCM/ECU is the same in the SRT-4 as the PT/GT Cruiser. But here is the image file anyway. I'm not posting it inline to the post becuase it is big and would be distracting if it's not relevant.
I'm thinking pin 27? Of course, I'm also car-stupid. :lol:

Attachments

·
Banned
27,300 Posts
damn...here i was thinking mopar had this covered, then again no mopar kits are "street legal" :) Good luck with that and i'll keep checking back see how you get it resolved. I cant add much cause here in FL we did away with inspections

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
psi chick said:
fyi - the codes that the ecu is throwing are:

P0846 - Trans fluid pressure sensor/switch "b" circuit range/performance
P0871 - trans fluid pressure sensor/switch "c" circuit range/performance
P0888 - TCM Power Relay Sense Circuit

it didn't even register the P0633
Ya know, its lazyness that those codes are even still in the sw.

I have a question, have you even bothered ot research the stale emissions law? What does the law say about codes?

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Yes, but it will help out the Cali crowd also...this interests me. A true ECU/PCM hack!
And I loves hacking the crap out of things.
I figure we find out EXACTLY what pinout on the PCM is throwing these codes, figure out what the correct voltage it's looking for, then spike that with a resistor load to "fool" it for inspection. I wouldn't want to run it all the time, but a good "before-you-go-get-inspected" mod would be nice.
I'm still thinking it lies in the C4 connector somewhere. Of course, in the old days there was a separate TCU (Transmission Control Unit) and ECU (Engine Control Unit) but now there it's like Highlander...there can only be ONE! And it's the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). Or am I all bass-ackwards?

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
cali said:
Ya know, its lazyness that those codes are even still in the sw.
Damn right, sheer laziness. They figured since the kits aren't for street use (legally) no need to zero-out the programming for it.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
I guess it's for the 40TE Auto-tranny?
"The solenoid assembly also contains pressure
switches that monitor and send hydraulic circuit
information to the PCM/TCM. Likewise, the pressure
switches can only be service by replacing the assembly.
PRESSURE SWITCHES
The PCM/TCM relies on three pressure switches to
monitor fluid pressure in the L/R, 2/4, and OD hydraulic circuits. The primary purpose of these switches is to help the PCM/TCM detect when clutch circuit hydraulic failures occur. The range for the pressure switch closing and opening points is 11-23
psi. Typically the switch opening point will be approximately one psi lower than the closing point. For example, a switch may close at 18 psi and open at 17 psi.
A Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will set if the
PCM/TCM senses any switch open or closed at the
wrong time in a given gear.
The PCM/TCM also tests the 2/4 and OD pressure
switches when they are normally off (OD and 2/4 are
tested in 1st gear, OD in 2nd gear, and 2/4 in 3rd
gear). The test simply verifies that they are operational,
by looking for a closed state when the corresponding
element is applied. Immediately after a
shift into 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear with the engine speed
above 1000 rpm, the PCM/TCM momentarily turns
on element pressure to the 2/4 and/or OD clutch circuits
to identify that the appropriate switch has
closed. If it doesn’t close, it is tested again. If the
switch fails to close the second time, the appropriate
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will set."

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
iball said:
I guess it's for the 40TE Auto-tranny?
"The solenoid assembly also contains pressure
switches that monitor and send hydraulic circuit
information to the PCM/TCM. Likewise, the pressure
switches can only be service by replacing the assembly.
PRESSURE SWITCHES
The PCM/TCM relies on three pressure switches to
monitor fluid pressure in the L/R, 2/4, and OD hydraulic circuits. The primary purpose of these switches is to help the PCM/TCM detect when clutch circuit hydraulic failures occur. The range for the pressure switch closing and opening points is 11-23
psi. Typically the switch opening point will be approximately one psi lower than the closing point. For example, a switch may close at 18 psi and open at 17 psi.
A Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will set if the
PCM/TCM senses any switch open or closed at the
wrong time in a given gear.
The PCM/TCM also tests the 2/4 and OD pressure
switches when they are normally off (OD and 2/4 are
tested in 1st gear, OD in 2nd gear, and 2/4 in 3rd
gear). The test simply verifies that they are operational,
by looking for a closed state when the corresponding
element is applied. Immediately after a
shift into 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear with the engine speed
above 1000 rpm, the PCM/TCM momentarily turns
on element pressure to the 2/4 and/or OD clutch circuits
to identify that the appropriate switch has
closed. If it doesn’t close, it is tested again. If the
switch fails to close the second time, the appropriate
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will set."

Seems too smart to fool with a resistor..I think we would need a microcontroller to fool it..but then we need to find the sense wire for the gear, since it's looking for specific shift patterns. Who knows if the full autotranny code is even in there? :eeeek:

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Transmission Control System Wiring

Well, I dug this out...maybe it will help you.
Yeah, I'm thinking some sort of "piggy-back", only coming off the green C4 connector on the S3R PCM. Basically, if someone builds an integrated circuit in a nice weatherproof box that sends all the correct signals back to the PCM, it will fool it. But I'm car stupid...but good at research anyway. :lol:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 396 Posts