Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found very little threads on these nightmare of bolts and arms. I can get the frame ones out no problem, the rear knuckle bolts that hold the lateral arms on...a fucking nightmare, I'm gonna need to get a 12ton press or an acetylene torch from Lowes for them. They're so rusted and possible rust welded into the knuckles its insane that no amount of BFH hitting or torching or any of that works and its just bending the bolt ends.

Whats a next option? I have COBALT Tips and a Milwaukee I can do and take time to drill. At this point is it time to just keep the torch and set it on the bolt for an hour and let it essentially get to lava temp and then try again?

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
Sorry you're having such a problem here. Mine were no issue getting out, but i dont live in an area that salts the roads, so rust isnt really an issue for us.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry you're having such a problem here. Mine were no issue getting out, but i dont live in an area that salts the roads, so rust isnt really an issue for us.
I think its more of the original owner lived in Illinois where they used salt heavily and when I got the car the rust was insane in the suspension area before I replace the full front suspension and most of the rear and doing the final parts now which are the Lateral Arms, but I got lucky and live just far enough in the Midwest we get snow but dont much or any salt at all. But its a big problem with these bolts. I'll have to try to get a hot torch and torch it for a bit.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I think its more of the original owner lived in Illinois where they used salt heavily and when I got the car the rust was insane in the suspension area before I replace the full front suspension and most of the rear and doing the final parts now which are the Lateral Arms, but I got lucky and live just far enough in the Midwest we get snow but dont much or any salt at all. But its a big problem with these bolts. I'll have to try to get a hot torch and torch it for a bit.
Cut them off and grab a new set from a junker. They aren't worth the time it takes to get that bolt out.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cut them off and grab a new set from a junker. They aren't worth the time it takes to get that bolt out.

Im gonna end up having too, I've got a 1/2 Milwaukee Drill/Driver I'll be using with my cobalt tips. So I'll just have to go slow and push.

But I've got DCR Bolts and MOOG Adjustable Arms to use so I should be set on those.

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
I think i would have taken an angle grinder to those bolts well before going all that trouble.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think i would have taken an angle grinder to those bolts well before going all that trouble.
Thats what I do plan, I know my frame bolts are easier to slide out but the Knuckle bolts I'll have to cut and drill .

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Thats what I do plan, I know my frame bolts are easier to slide out but the Knuckle bolts I'll have to cut and drill .
Seriously, just cut them off and grab a new pair from any 2gn neon. Drum or disk are the same. My current 04 build has one from an 02 and one from an 05 2nd gn base neon. got them from the junk yard for 10 bucks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts