Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least it had the Bora emblem, and seemed quite a bit faster than other VR6's and 1.8T's.

Beat the guy by about 1.5 car lengths before we both backed off at around 100km/h (coming up on a cop station on Derry Rd.), but was still impressed with it. I had an '87 Jetta GT a while back, and though it was gutless, the build quality and handling were real nice.

Great guy too, gave me a wave after I handed him his ass. Not one of those assholes who look down on our mighty SRT's.

Patrique

p.s. Also ran into a blue EVO few days back on Derry running US plates. Kinda took me by surprise, hadn't noticed it 'till I heard the POV besides me. Couldn't run it though, too much traffic, and had the WSL (Wife Speed Limiter) installed in the car at the time :crying: First time seeing one in person, and have to say, mighty sweet :thumbsup:

·
Forum Moderator
2,603 Posts
I saw a yellow EVO here in burlington with Texas plates, and I did have the pleasure of racing light to light with him. He took off from the light like a slingshot. I was able to make up spce in the bottom end, but he was still pulling away from me. I agree though......Very nice car.

·
Registered
924 Posts
chances are you didn't run a bora... they are only available in europe; just a DTM version jetta really. Except you can get them in 4-Motion. So, i'm guessing it was an MK4... If you only had 1.5 cars on it, chances are it was a 1.8T that has been chipped with either APR or GIAC-X. That gains a lot of power on the 20V turbo motor, somewhere in the range of 25-30hp which gets it over 200hp. Those motors are very responsive to mods too...

·
Registered
959 Posts
You'll never have to really worry about one without a hairdryer swap, but their are lots of chips that give them as stated 30+hp and even more tq. They run out of breath on the top end, but again can be pretty quick.

·
Registered
409 Posts
i have seen a black jetta badged bora with 18's running around barrie a few times this summer.. who knows whats under the hood though.. like said prolly just a 1.8 or vr6 pretending to be... just like all the wrx's/subarus with sti badges... oh and the civic and caviler and sunfire type R's thanks to Can. Tire stickers. hahahahah. would still be sweet if it was a Bora engine swap.. oooooh

·
Registered
959 Posts
I didn't think they had anything too potent in europe for motors in those things....

my stage 1 exhaust in current form > fully bolted on 1.8t

I'd like to run into one here in calgary.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
rhealeyogden said:
i have seen a black jetta badged bora with 18's running around barrie a few times this summer.. who knows whats under the hood though.. like said prolly just a 1.8 or vr6 pretending to be... just like all the wrx's/subarus with sti badges... oh and the civic and caviler and sunfire type R's thanks to Can. Tire stickers. hahahahah. would still be sweet if it was a Bora engine swap.. oooooh

They have Type R stickers at Canadian Tire - sweet. I got to get myself one to put on my car. I'll be the only one with a Dodge Type R. :wah?!: :jester:
BTW, Barrie is not to far from Brampton/Woodbridge, 45 min to - 1 hr drive?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My friend has a Jetta and I went with him when he got it chipped. I talked to the guy there about the "Bora" and was told that the only difference between them was the actual badge on the back. The cars made in Germany and sold in Europe are called Bora's and the N.A. versions of the car (mostly made in the mexico plant) are all still Jetta's. I guess the reasoning was that Volkswagon thought they would loose sales in the N.A. market on the Jetta when they renamed it to the Bora back in the 90's so they kept the name Jetta going. The chip does give some nice numbers though, but exhaust and intercooler location/size I think limit the car significantly. Still trying to convince my friend to dyno his car to see what numbers he is actually putting down after the mod.

·
Registered
409 Posts
ahhh col
barrie is 45 from 7/400. and i work in mississauga. so im down here a lot...

i know a 1.8t with front mount and chip and that thing rips.. dont have numbers.. but he must be over 200.. and its a golf.. there are a few of those in barrie now..

·
Registered
959 Posts
From another forum, a guy got his 03 gti chipped.. He has a project neon too.

It Looks impressive, however 188hp/235 peak to the wheels is good but not a show stopper for us. Again, that turbo spools up quick and obviously falls on its face quickly.

For comparison's sake, my latest work :eveilgrin

For only a chip that is really good. But kind of crappy that VW neuters those from the factory so bad.

·
Registered
959 Posts
for sure, I'm over 200 tq basically from 2100 to 5700 at or near 250+ from 2700 to 5200, with just some very basic mods (Catback, stage 1, filter plugs, wires).

Don't get me wrong though, a chip or reflash is a must for VW owners. Talk about low hanging fruit...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts