Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please tell me what this is? can it make only one speaker work in the car, more precisely passenger front door speaker only? I don’t have the sub in my car was it wired for it and now isn’t there? Sorry for the burst of questions but it’s killing me with one speaker. Thank you for the responses

Attachments

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Can anyone please tell me what this is? can it make only one speaker work in the car, more precisely passenger front door speaker only? I don’t have the sub in my car was it wired for it and now isn’t there? Sorry for the burst of questions but it’s killing me with one speaker. Thank you for the responses
I honestly have never seen that before. my initial thought was low level converter, and my second thought is front stage amp.. for the kicker system, but they only had a sub amp that used highlevel input as a remote.

are there any numbers or stickers on it?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
It almost looks like the Factory Kicker Sub amp based on the OEM connector. It's been a while since I've seen one but isn't the amp on the sub just under a fancy plastic cover? It's too hard to tell from the image but if the wiring matches the pinouts provided here, Wiring pinout for the Kicker Livin Loud sub/amp - 2GN.ORG, I'll bet someone cannibalized it for something. Is it possible your car came with the Kicker system and was removed? Also other vehicle manufacturers used amps with that style so it is quite possible someone just did their own thing.

Where did the amp come from? I would start with the simple things, do you have the OEM radio still or aftermarket? Since this mystery amp was in the car what does the radio wiring harness look like? If it's hacked to pieces it'll be hard to tell what's going on.

·
Super Moderator
16,460 Posts
Nearly everything out now is MILES ahead of even the kicker system that was in the SRT-4 originally. I have the kicker system in mine. Just changing out the 6.5" door speakers in another Neon I was rebuilding, with some medium quality Walmart Sony speakers, made that Neon sound better than my SRT-4. My 2014 Ram doesn't even have the premium Harman Kardon setup and it is so much better than my SRT-4. Back in the day the SRT-4 setup seemed really amazing, but as technology moves on, it sounds less and less impressive.

Plus the stock speakers are now getting on 15-17 years old, depending on the year of your SRT-4, meaning a likelihood of ripped cones, wiring going bad, radio itself on the fritz, etc.

Crutchfield supposedly has newer Kicker models that actually still fit the SRT-4 slots like the factory speakers do. I say this because those Sony speakers, despite being sold as the same size as the Kicker 6.5" door speakers, didn't fit very well and I had to use a hammer to bend back the edges in order to make the speakers fit. I got them in, it wasn't pretty, but the door functioned great, no rattling, and everything is covered up with the door panel anyway.

You can also use Crutchfield to give you an idea of what fits with their vehicle selection guide, then go elsewhere to find what you want at a cheaper price. I'm not trying to be a Crutchfield cheerleader here, I do like their interface, but there have been some people irritated with them on the forums too.

·
Registered
Original Owner '05 SRT-4 S2 Toys
203 Posts
Off-topic but I wish that Crutchfield had a one-to-one numbering system with the current Kicker speakers to the OEM SRT-4 ones. I would like to pick up some new ones to replace mine from 2005 but want factory if at all possible.

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
The big question to help out would be, where was that on the car?

I think that's the kicker amp which would have been mounted to the top of the sub box in the trunk. If I'm remembering correctly, It pulls its signal from the rear speakers, so it should have no affect on the front speakers.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Off-topic but I wish that Crutchfield had a one-to-one numbering system with the current Kicker speakers to the OEM SRT-4 ones. I would like to pick up some new ones to replace mine from 2005 but want factory if at all possible.
Not something Crutchfield would do, from the information i could find the livin loud 6.5" speakers were ks series, but ive never seen a living loud system taken out of the car.

·
Forum Moderator
5,234 Posts
do you own a digital multimeter or ohmmeter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gump it was plugged into the spot where the sub would go. I’m having issues with all the speakers except driver dash tweeter and driver door speaker all other are silent

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Gump it was plugged into the spot where the sub would go. I’m having issues with all the speakers except driver dash tweeter and driver door speaker all other are silent
Its the livin loud amp.

my buddy has 2 from the factory, one was NIB. I'm looking to see if hes still got them.

Please give more information. have you troubleshot the systems yet, see if its a head unit or a speaker issue?

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
This may sound like a dumb question, but have you checked the radio settings to see if the balance and fade are set all the way forwards and to the left?

Reactions: lilviper

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
For reference this is a stock front door speaker (livin loud) compared to what I changed it out with.
Automotive tire Light Rim Carbon Audio equipment

1 - 19 of 19 Posts