Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear mixed things about were to mount a radar detector. 2 ppl i no tell me to mount it as low as possible while other have it as high as there rer view mirror. i read somewhere mount low for laser and high for radar. but which is it?

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
Hello there, I have owned just about every radar detector there is. I currently have a Valentine 1. I have experienced that the best place to mount your detector would be in the upper middle of your windshield. This will allow for radar detection from the rear of your vehicle. If you mount it too low it will be hindered by your rear seat, and or other blockages. mounting it too high will have the same adverse affects because the curvature of the roof of your car will also block the radar view..take a look from where your radar detector is mounted, if you can't see through the rear window, it's not going to work very well from that direction. As far as from the front of the car, dectection isn't usually affected from the front no matter how high you mount it. However, i have found that mounting it too low can cause cars in front of you to block signals, that's why i favor the upper right (driver's side)of my windshield, so it has the best chance possible of picking up that little blip of radar. Remember, radar bounces off metal surfaces, and your radar detector has the same problem, can't go through metal. I have an 05 srt 4 and I have mine mounted just to the left of the rear view mirror and just below that black shading on the windshield. I have picked off CHPs over 9 miles away from the front and over 4 miles away from the rear... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
I had mine mounted there too. Dont mount it low, keep it up high with a clear view of the front and rear.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Remax Realtor said:
I had mine mounted there too. Dont mount it low, keep it up high with a clear view of the front and rear.
agreed... mine is right under my rearveiw mirror..

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
Oh, and just about any radar detector can be hot wired through the lights in your rear view...pretty sweet..although I don't trust myself to do this mod. I just bought a 15 foot cigarette lighter extention cord and ran it through the inside of the side panel along the driver side door up to under the sun visor, and out to the detector :bandit:

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
everyone i possibly no with a radar detector mounts it as low as they can. they keep haslling me about why i mount it so high. eh

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
You need to have it in the highest point in the car and in the center of the car. Also keep the unit level.

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
Main_Event said:
everyone i possibly no with a radar detector mounts it as low as they can. they keep haslling me about why i mount it so high. eh
Its about radio physics.

Example: Say you have the unit mounted low on the car. If there is someone in front of you, they become a sheild. The higher you can place the unit the less of radio interference to your radar unit.

In the world of radio frequencies or RF as its better known to HAMS. Your car is a rolling metal object, it will collect all kinds of RF. The best place for the radar unit or even a radio antenna, is on the center of your roof. But we all know thats not a pratical place. So we mount it on the front windshield. And since most of the time you will be hit by a radar gun from the front, the windshield is the best place. But you have to also know that having the unit way up in the tint area will take away from the units range. There are even some windshields made by the big 3 in the past, that it blocked the effectiveness of any radar unit because the entire windshiled was covered by a reflective film. But then again this was on a few models.

·
Registered
83 Posts
http://www.guysoflidar.com/detectormounting.html

Mounting Your Radar Detector
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First off, it is a good idea to follow manufacturer's recommendations:

Passport x50 and BEL RX-65:
"Using the Windshield Mount, mount your Passport level, and high enough on your front windshield to provide a clear view of the road from the front and rear."

Valentine One:
"Valentine One works best when mounted high in the windshield, and toward the center between the windshield pillars. Use your choice of windshield or visor mounts"

High mounting
Good for Radar: higher mounting gives you more "line-of-sight" with the targeting radar. If you do the math, one foot higher mounting gives you an few tenths of a mile extra, maybe even more than 1/2 mile. The average driver isn't likely to notice such a small difference in range, but it might help out in a pinch (detecting brief instant-on at long range)

Good for alerting to laser targeting vehicles ahead, since it can "see" through their windows better etc.

Bad for laser targeting you, since it is mounted further from the aiming point (front plate/headlight).

Low mounting
Not as good for radar, but you might not be giving up too much.

Good for Laser Targeting you: closer to the aiming points(front plate/lights). More likely to give a laser warning when you are targeted, and you'll have time to slow down if they don't get a reading when you are first targeted, such as if you have a dark vehicle, are using VEIL, they aren't holding the gun steady etc.

Not as good for laser targeting vehicles ahead, since it can't "see" through their windows as well

Things to Consider:

If you don't have a laser jammer, but have a dark car, VEIL, etc, then consider mounting low. You'll have a better chance of getting a warning when you're being targeted, and might have a chance to slow down before he gets a speed reading.

If you don't have a laser jammer or VEIL, and have a light-colored car that can be easily targeted by laser, then consider mounting high. You'll have a better chance of getting lucky with a prior warning when a vehicle ahead is targeted.

If you have a laser jammer, then you are covered for laser pretty well. You might as well mount the detector high to maximize radar range.

Something else to consider: if you mount TOO low then you could obscure the rear radar or laser sensor on your detector.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts