Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen things mentioned about this, but nothing in depth. Is it a bad idea to use racing fuel (or octane boosters) from time to time in your street car? Also, how much is too much? 104 about right? Would this have detrimental effects in the long run?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Using leaded race gas can ruin O2 sensors if used often. You can get unleaded racing gas though also, I beleive the last I bought was Phillips B25?, 100 or 110 octane unleaded, can't remember.

You should not need race gas for your car til you are running into detonation or very high boost. However, it can be good a preventetive measure. I have run a 50/50 mix when turning up the boost even to levels I know are safe and read safe on the gauges just in case.

I don't know how far the stock fuel system on the SRT-4 can provide fuel before leaning but I would say as an estimate 20psi on the stock setup race gas would be a good safety measure. Being as the intercooler is large, detonation should be minimal but ya never know.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with what you are saying about using unleaded race gas and how it is not harmfull to your car. However, I would not suggest running 20psi as it would be way out of the stock turbos efficiency range. I doubt it could even that boost past 4k rpms. Id say a safe bet is 16psi until we know more about the car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is that to say high octane (unleaded) fuel wouldn't do too terribly much for you (in the SRT4)?

·
Registered
113 Posts
If I had the option I would run at least 93-94 octane in the SRT4 even in stock form and especially if it had the boost turned up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I will. We have 93 at tons of gas stations here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
With a stock car it won't do anything, but as you increase the power of the motor it may be a good safety measure, long with performance measure. If the motor senses knock it will pull timing back, therefore losing power. Run the good stuff and you won't have to worry.

Nobody should be running less than 91 octane in these cars, don't be cheap, buy something decent for your baby!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Even 91 sucks ass. I used to live in NY 6 months ago and ran Sunoco 94 all day long.
Then I get to california and have 91 donkey pi$$...
:evil:

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
abaddsm said:
Even 91 sucks ass. I used to live in NY 6 months ago and ran Sunoco 94 all day long.
Then I get to california and have 91 donkey pi$$...
:evil:
Yeah, CA gas sucks. Also, remember it takes a bit for the ECU to adjust to different octane, dont expect to dump a couple gallons in at the track and expect a huge difference. I put the Octane boost/race gas in on the way to the track, so the ECU has optimized the timing tunig etc by the time I get there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is a great discussion on homemade race gas. If you read down a bit you will get some great info. Be careful though repeated use of race fuel will burn out your O2 and your cat really quick.

http://www.dfwstangs.net/vb222/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57087

I believe I first found this discussion from a post on www.turbododge.com so thank whomever posted it their first for the info I just bookmarked the page.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Also, I just remembered that the owners manual has a list of chemicals to avoid using in your gas. Cant remember them, but they are in some of the octane boosters (yes, I have read every piece of documentation that came with the car :oops: )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts