Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi guys, five years ago my mechanic replaced the timing belt and put a Gates tensioner, for some reason the tensioner wire got broken after only 10,xxx miles, so I decide to replaced that item and also the idler pulley, at that moment the brand available was only Duralast.

Now, after only 5,500 miles I noticed oil leaking and turned out to be the belt making a groove on the oil pump, the first impression should be some pulley or gear misaligned but what you think about this theory:

As you can see in the first picture, the belt is already too inside the gears and that is the moment when I did the job and replace the pulleys, so there wasn't any mileage on them.

Is it posible that some of the pulleys got bent because the strenght of the belt or maybe I screwed it putting the belt wrongly deep?

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
the crank sprocket was pressed on the crank too far. its a known issue if the specific instructions in the service manual are not followed.

Reactions: ramptgt

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the crank sprocket was pressed on the crank too far. its a known issue if the specific instructions in the service manual are not followed.
Actually the sprocket wasn't removed, only the damper obviusly and maybe when reinstalled it was pushed too far and
affected the sprocket position.

Regards

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is this a new thread? or are we replying to the same topic on 2 different threads?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
It's kind the same. The issue is the same but I got two theorys. I found the first picture in an old thread when I did the instalation and noticed that the belt is wrong from the begining.

One: I put the belt incorrectly. As we can see in the picture, the belt is too deep and that picture was at the moment of the reinstall of the tensioner and the idler.

So my question is, is it possible to do a wrong installation like this?

Two: somehow the belt bent a pulley, because it is so hard.

The questions is, is the belt so stron that could bent a cheap pulley like Duralast?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It's kind the same. The issue is the same but I got two theorys. I found the first picture in an old thread when I did the instalation and noticed that the belt is wrong from the begining.

One: I put the belt incorrectly. As we can see in the picture, the belt is too deep and that picture was at the moment of the reinstall of the tensioner and the idler.

So my question is, is it possible to do a wrong installation like this?

Two: somehow the belt bent a pulley, because it is so hard.

The questions is, is the belt so stron that could bent a cheap pulley like Duralast?
wow.. i've never had a pulley bend. not even close. the only tension on them is valve spring... how did you manage to bend one?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow.. i've never had a pulley bend. not even close. the only tension on them is valve spring... how did you manage to bend one?

Nop, I'm not sure if it got bent because a friend of mine sent me a mechanic to help me out and he took the pulleys to analize them and after 2 weeks he didn't answer me, so I lost those pulleys, anyway I'm going to replace them but I can't see if they got some kind of damage. Therefore, I'm only asking if could be possible.

According to your experience it is not possible, so what you think of the first picture? It seems like I mounted it wrongly and somehow it got even deeper and it made those grooves.

·
Super Moderator
16,140 Posts
Nop, I'm not sure if it got bent because a friend of mine sent me a mechanic to help me out and he took the pulleys to analize them and after 2 weeks he didn't answer me, so I lost those pulleys, anyway I'm going to replace them but I can't see if they got some kind of damage. Therefore, I'm only asking if could be possible.

According to your experience it is not possible, so what you think of the first picture? It seems like I mounted it wrongly and somehow it got even deeper and it made those grooves.
Yikes... go get your pulleys back man, that's some nonsense right there that he isn't answering you.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Actually the sprocket wasn't removed, only the damper obviusly and maybe when reinstalled it was pushed too far and
affected the sprocket position.

Regards
The crank pulley cannot be pushed on too far, as it stops dead on the crank snout.

So, someone pressed the oil pump gear on too far. From the factory, it is right up against the indent in the crank.

Reactions: ramptgt
1 - 9 of 9 Posts