Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a set of struts on line for the rear. I'm running the sportline springs on my car, and my question is more for confirmation. If the struts I have for the car won't clear 17" wheels, they are not srt4 struts correct ? When I was hunting for rear strut P#'s I had read that basically only Mopar OEM struts, with a very few others, have the correct spring perch hight to clear the OEM 17" wheels. I just want to make sure I have the right thing. They are installed, with the sportline springs and, while they do clear the strut, the wheel just looks like it's tucked a little ways inside the fender.
I'm trying to figure out if that's just how these springs sit, or if it's the wrong strut.
Thanks for any information.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
more information could be helpful. What brand struts did you buy? Are you running OEM sized tires?

It sounds like you are sort of on the right path. SRT struts have a higher spring perch than base neons, to clear the taller wheel/tire combo. The OEM srt wheels are very narrow and have a high offset, so they do appear to sit in kind of far in the wheel wells.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more information could be helpful. What brand struts did you buy? Are you running OEM sized tires?

It sounds like you are sort of on the right path. SRT struts have a higher spring perch than base neons, to clear the taller wheel/tire combo. The OEM srt wheels are very narrow and have a high offset, so they do appear to sit in kind of far in the wheel wells.
The wheels are 17x7.5 with the oem off set of 35. I had read the wheel sticky before i made a wheel purchase to make sure i didnt run into any problems.
Tires are 225/45/17

The struts when i purchased them, however, were said to be "unbranded" from the seller. but he did verify that they were for an srt4 and not a base neon. When the box showed up, and i took them out it had Monroe sticker on it with their part #. At first i was some what hesitant to install them because I hadnt read anything saying Monroe even made replacement struts for our cars. But after i removed my old rear struts and compared them to the new Monroe struts... they looked identical. so i decided to just see what would happen.

After installation on both sides with the new springs everything fit and cleared, just moving it around the back yard, i heard no rubbing, grinding, banging, and then took both wheels off just to check them, and have seen no damage. I also have enough room between the spring perch and my tire/wheel, to slide my index finger between them, its tight, but i can slide between them.

My reasoning for posting this thread is because after the installation, the car sat as most srt4's do with the sport line springs, with a small gap between the tire and fender. Now, after a few rides around the back yard, it sits tucked.
Im just trying to get as much information as i can to check if maybe its just the springs settling, the strut settling, or possibly a wrong strut after all. I wish I still had the part number off those struts to post on here, but they were purchased a few months ago and i really dont remember it now.

One last bit of information, these springs are not new, in my home state there is a junk yard that just buys up sport-compact cars. I.E. srt4, evo's, sti's, civic si's, ect, and these were purchased from there. they had no damage or anything, the car had hit a deer. So it wasnt as if it was rolled or anything crazy. IDK, if the sag i cam seeing could come from used springs or not. they had 25k miles on them.

Hope this helps a little more.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Suspension settles when you move the car around after installing. The strut's job isn't to control ride height, it is to control the compression and rebound of the spring. The spring is what sets the ride height.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Suspension settles when you move the car around after installing. The strut's job isn't to control ride height, it is to control the compression and rebound of the spring. The spring is what sets the ride height.
Yep, totally true.
My Eibach springs settled a lot the day after they were installed in 2003.

Eibach did a dirty - they sold the same part number springs for the SRT-4 as the regular Neon.
But the SRT-4 is about 400 lbs heavier in front hence my blown front strut after 2 days.

Problem solved completely with Mopar Stage 3 Coil Overs.
Overkill? Maybe, but they are still good 16 years and 125K miles later! And if necessary, can be rebuilt by K&W!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I was just wanted to check and see if it was indeed the suspension settling into place and not something a little more serious. I believe there is a thread on here where people posted pictures of their cars with the sportlines and they all say a little different. Some like mine in the picture, others just above the tire. I know wheel size, off set, tire size, will all play a part in that. I was just somewhat concerned about it being tucked that far in.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Yes, I was just wanted to check and see if it was indeed the suspension settling into place and not something a little more serious. I believe there is a thread on here where people posted pictures of their cars with the sportlines and they all say a little different. Some like mine in the picture, others just above the tire. I know wheel size, off set, tire size, will all play a part in that. I was just somewhat concerned about it being tucked that far in.
Didn't realize Eibach makes Sportline Springs!

Sorry!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Lol, it's alright
No I meant sorry to you for having to tolerate those particular springs.
Sure, the car may look good stanced so low with them.
But the practical reality of our rotten roads says otherwise.
In the short time I had them on my car, I got to know every pothole, dip, bump on my commute.
And would take evasive action to avoid those problems.
Plus it was tedious "crabbing" into my driveway each time.

I like to say "I got my car back when I installed the Mopar Stage 3 Coilovers".
And I did too, bumps which used to bottom out at 10 MPH with the Eibachs were no trouble at all at any speed with the CO's.
Never looked back since then.
And my car is a decent 30mm lower than stock so it "looks" good too.

Anyhow your post here sure brought back some very unhappy memories! :surprise:
But I'll wish you all the best with those springs!

·
Administrator
38,902 Posts
As of now there aren't any suitable struts for the SRT outside of Mopar units. Monroe kinda lists a front strut option, but until someone actually measured the spring perch height I wouldn't trust them. You could try and track down a set of Koni inserts, but that's about it. Tockico has kinda disappeared, don't know what happened to them.

But yes, Eibach sucks for the SRT-4 and I didn't much care for them on my dad's BMW. Too soft and low, H&R is worlds better. The actual spring is a quality product, and I'd definitely use their universal coilover springs, but their choice of rates and lengths never fits what I think they should be. The low ride height very well could cause the unknown/monroe struts to settle/fail just like a Mopar one would so you're kinda stuck if you want to keep those springs. If you like the lowered ride height then look at coilovers, good ones, and just bite the bullet when it comes to the price. All of the good options for suspension only stuck around for a few years because Dodge just didn't make enough SRTs to justify the production of only a few hundred parts by various aftermarket companies.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:
Changed out the rear struts... Definitely the wrong stuff. From just moving the car from one spot in the back yard to the other, rubbed the paint off to the metal on both rear struts. They have been replaced. Going to send a message to the store I purchased them from and let them know they have these things listed completely wrong.
Thanks for the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts