Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new member on the board as I have grown interest in purchasing an SRT-4 soon and I am doing research on it before I jump the gun.

Of course, as with any web forum that I register to, I did a search to help find most of the answers to my questions, however, there are a few questions that I have since I wasn't able to find the answers to them, so if you guys would be more than helpful to help me out with some answers, I would appreciate it very much.

First and foremost, is the SRT-4 a high maintenance car? Are the parts really expensive if I were to replace items such as a clutch? I was doing research on the Evo 8, however, those beasts have really expensive parts, therefore, I am not getting one if problems should arise with that. So now I am opting for an SRT-4. However, if parts are just as expensive, then I guess I will opt for another car.

Next question would be pertaining to warranty. Now I have read mixed answers from people have mopar upgrades on their cars installed at the dealer. I've read that the warranty remains if its installed at the dealer, but I have also read that Dodge will void it. Any clear cut answer to this?

And finally, to all SRT-4 owners, what don't you like about the SRT-4? Any problems whatsoever with the car? Be honest too.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for making it a long post.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
dear Whore, the srt is the badest car ever made, go get one you'll thank me later. it is 10 grand less than evo and sti and its just as fast IMO (although i hav'nt driven an evo). to answer your questions, the srt has no more maintence problems than any other car, and stealerships are whores and should warrenty you for anything if you bitch about it enough....

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Well, let' say good questions.
SRT is NOT a high maintenance car, you've seen EVOs prices for clutch and they DO have problems with clutch. STis are also good cars but cost nearly 10-14G more and still don't come with even a boost guage standard!!!! SRT is really the best bang for the buck. As I'm sure you know, EVOs and STis are fast off the line thanks to AWD system. but once they rolling, SRT stock vs. stock is as fast (if not beat them - I have personally beat Stock EVo and Stock STi with my Stock SRT-4 from a roll).
Modwise, it is extremly responsive to mods.
Mopar? Well, I have Stage 1 and worth every penny. The dealers are ok (at least here).
What I wish my SRT had was first, Cruise Controll and second, maybe (maybe not that important) rear power windows. That's about it. LSD does wonders.

basically, test drive it and you'll fall in love with it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I am in the same position as u are, and from what i have come to learn about the srt is that it has proven to be a very reliable car. The engine and trans. are very strong and reliable. If u have problems it would prob be because of aftermarket, things not hooked up right or computer related issues fighting after market.

It depends of dealers, most will carry the warrenty on your car with mopar upgrades, you'd really have to talk to them to see what they would allow, because some have down the mopar upgrades w/o dealer install and still have warrenty.

Im sure most people would say the big things to not like about the srt is how lots of other things were lacked. Like interrior, suspension, and fwd. Main reason evo's and sti's are more expensive, they have much better suspensions and awd trans axel. Also those cars are the flagship cars they make, the neon srt4 is a lower form of a car (if you will), it carries the name of neon and parts tend to be cheaper that way.

Over all it is a great car, tho i do not own one yet, i have driven many, ridden in many, and have heard nothing but great comment about them.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
ok here r a couple of dis's 1 too small of a gas tank 12.5,2 interior noise from the road and exhaust, 3 tires r too skinny, 4 not all wheel drive not good for punching out of the hole. and now the +'s if you like attn. you will get it, everywhere i go ppl say they like it. if u like to race u will get challenges. good stereo system (kicker).

·
Registered
547 Posts
bonessrt-4 said:
ok here r a couple of dis's 1 too small of a gas tank 12.5,2 interior noise from the road and exhaust, 3 tires r too skinny, 4 not all wheel drive not good for punching out of the hole. and now the +'s if you like attn. you will get it, everywhere i go ppl say they like it. if u like to race u will get challenges. good stereo system (kicker).
1) 32 mpg, how big of a gas tank do you need.
2) exhaust sounds great, like that of a V8... I personaly like to hear it snap.
3) Tires are awsome, Great looking tread, great in water, great handeling.
4) FWD is best for gas milage, AWD = Bad for high speeds.
Over all it is a very good car, Ideal for gas milage, 4 door, for passengers, Big Trunk, and to top it all off, This car has the Balls to take many V8's :eveilgrin

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
YoungSRT said:
1) 32 mpg, how big of a gas tank do you need.
2) exhaust sounds great, like that of a V8... I personaly like to hear it snap.
3) Tires are awsome, Great looking tread, great in water, great handeling.
4) FWD is best for gas milage, AWD = Bad for high speeds.
Over all it is a very good car, Ideal for gas milage, 4 door, for passengers, Big Trunk, and to top it all off, This car has the Balls to take many V8's :eveilgrin
32 mpg?! you drive like grandpa or something??? :lol: i have never gotten that good gas mileage in this car. if i am lucky i'll see 28 mpg, and that's with almost all highway driving.

i agree that the tires are way too skinny. but that's why we have a massive aftermarket rim field in this country. don't like the stock ones, just get new ones!

·
Registered
110 Posts
ok i figured this would be a good place to ask. what is LSD and what does it do all i know is that the 03 didnt come with it and the 04 does. is there anything special about it cus im in market for an 03 because i wont be able to afford an 04.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Great car for speed freaks. I've had my 05' for 2 weeks now and already put 1200 miles on it.
Pros: Turbo, speed, handling, great tires, nice shifter feel(no honda rubbery shifter)
Cons: Neon body, no rear PW, engine bay is Cramped and I mean it. Try installing the Mopar BOV( I got very frustrated with the third bolt.)

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Since everyone will surely give you all the pro's, I'll stick with the cons:

DCX seems to back the dealership on warrenty claims. Whether you put in a mopar BOV or a whole new turbo, it almost depends on your dealership whether they want to void your warrenty. If they don't, your good.. if they do, DCX (from what I've read from others) will back them up. Good luck trying to fight them in small claims court if they do...

If your 19 and live in Las Vegas, prepare to have your ass widened by 2 inches diameter by your Insurance agency. :lol:

Tires are too skinny (205/50/17, and the widest I heard you can fit on the car are 245's.

Handles well unless you accelerate into a turn.

Boost varys depending on temp. and other conditions... usually I feel like it launches the hell out of me, esp. 2nd gear... other times I just want to put holes in the floor of the car so I can flinstone my way around :lol:

I personally like the interior but the material is sort of plasticy.

I got more challenges at the light with my Hyundai Accent than I do with my neon.

Under the hood gets way too hot to touch after like 2 minutes of driving, and its extremely cramped under the hood. Can't work on it unless it has time to cool down... and my hands are cramped worse than a fat man in a mexican families Corolla :rofl:

I'm an attention whore, and I don't get as many people interested in it as I thought I would before I bought it.

Stock stereo system for me has got to go... Bass has to be turned way down if the speakers are up unless you want nothing but distortion.

Personally 5000 miles and no problems except that of my own fault (curbed the rear tire)

With these things in mind... the car is awesome and I would not trade it for a (same priced) STi or Evo (I drive both weekly anyways :p) But I'd take my friends 530 whp Cobra any day :thumbsup:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
VegasSRT-4 said:
Since everyone will surely give you all the pro's, I'll stick with the cons:

DCX seems to back the dealership on warrenty claims. Whether you put in a mopar BOV or a whole new turbo, it almost depends on your dealership whether they want to void your warrenty. If they don't, your good.. if they do, DCX (from what I've read from others) will back them up. Good luck trying to fight them in small claims court if they do...

If your 19 and live in Las Vegas, prepare to have your ass widened by 2 inches diameter by your Insurance agency. :lol:

Tires are too skinny (205/50/17, and the widest I heard you can fit on the car are 245's.

Handles well unless you accelerate into a turn.

Boost varys depending on temp. and other conditions... usually I feel like it launches the hell out of me, esp. 2nd gear... other times I just want to put holes in the floor of the car so I can flinstone my way around :lol:

I personally like the interior but the material is sort of plasticy.

I got more challenges at the light with my Hyundai Accent than I do with my neon.

Under the hood gets way too hot to touch after like 2 minutes of driving, and its extremely cramped under the hood. Can't work on it unless it has time to cool down... and my hands are cramped worse than a fat man in a mexican families Corolla :rofl:

I'm an attention whore, and I don't get as many people interested in it as I thought I would before I bought it.

Stock stereo system for me has got to go... Bass has to be turned way down if the speakers are up unless you want nothing but distortion.

Personally 5000 miles and no problems except that of my own fault (curbed the rear tire)

With these things in mind... the car is awesome and I would not trade it for a (same priced) STi or Evo (I drive both weekly anyways :p) But I'd take my friends 530 whp Cobra any day :thumbsup:
Haha, thanks for going into further details of more cons, but I agree, the pro's definitely outweigh the cons from what I've read.

And no, I'm not in LA :lol: , I am in Fl.

Thanks again guy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.