Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to take my SRT-4 to a track to race, rather than risk racing on the street, but though I've found a number of tracks in the area I don't really understand all of the lingo or requirements. What kind of races should I look for? Are their certain associations that I should seek? What class would the car fit into? How do I get started without looking like a total newb?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
To Drag race on a track you need no association except that of you and your car. Now what you need to do is find out when they are doing Test&Tune nights at your local drag strip. Since you are not running 12s yet you need no helmet. Bewary of doing burn outs after getting the tires wet (YOUR CAR IS NOT DRAG SLICK/RADIAL EQUIPPED SO DONT DO IT!) in the box. Dont worry about the guy next to you until you feel you have enough pratice to actually race someone. If you dont feel comfy letting everyone see your times just ask that N/T be written on ur window. Have fun and good luck...BTW when the last yellow lights up on the tree start to let out the clutch :wink:

man you are a Dan too?? damn...im Dan, Terminator is Dan and you too...how old are you dude?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, that's great advice. Thanks. There's a Test & Tune night this Sunday at my local track. Hopefully it won't rain, so I can check it out.

I'm 43, going on 17. ;-) I feel like I should know this stuff, but I've never had a car that was worth racing before.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
acr2nv said:
man you are a Dan too?? damn...im Dan, Terminator is Dan and you too...how old are you dude?
Okay, the forum is over the limit on Dans. One of you must change your name immediately!!!! :lol: :lol:

I'd offer some advice, but I'm in the same boat, Drolander is.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
Grunge said:
acr2nv said:
Okay, the forum is over the limit on Dans. One of you must change your name immediately!!!! :lol: :lol:

I'd offer some advice, but I'm in the same boat, Drolander is.
When you get yours we you are more than welcome to come to Sunshine and i'll help u out :wink:

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
First thing, RELAX, it's only fun. Drive around the water unless you are going to do a burnout. Water & traction don't mix, plus you'll have more stability going down the track. Another tip is to grab the steering wheel on it's left side tightly and lock your left arm with your elbow resting on your door. This will keep you from jerking the wheel while shifting which will keep the car straight improving your ET (time). Look for the groove and stay inside it. The groove is a lane where all the rubber has been laid down by the other drivers. If you get out of the groove you will slow down and get sqirrley. Oh yeah, don't take your foot off the gas which requires power shifting and stay in each gear until you hit or almost hit the rev limiter. Don't forget to stop & get your time slip as well. Next time someone goes, please weigh your SRT-4.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Screw power shifting. Ive never done it before and Im sure not going to learn how on my new srt-4 (when i get it)

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
meddle said:
Screw power shifting. Ive never done it before and Im sure not going to learn how on my new srt-4 (when i get it)
Who told you to try it for the first time on your new SRT? We know those who don't know how won't attempt it without proper instructions which were not given! If you're going to the track to get the best time out of the car it's neccessary. If you're going to play around it's not.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When you power shift, do you keep the gas pedal to the floor while shifting....or do you let off a little??

To the op....make sure you dont over shoot the laser where you line up (stage). The guys who start the race seem to get annoyed at newbies who take forever trying to line up right. Just come in real slow and you will see the first light come on....then inch ever so slowly and get the second light on (then get ready to RACE!).

As far as burn outs in water....like everyone has said, dont do it! However, I used to burn out after the water (just a quick squeal of the tires) to get any crap off my tires before i lined up. Not sure how much it helped, but it became a ritual.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
To RU

About the weight, I have the Dealer invoice from when THEY purchased the car from Dodge, and it says shipping weight = 2869. I hope that helps. It also says SAE HP = 18.9. Whats that?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
The box several people have mentioned is a burn-out area where cars equipped with drag tires do a burn-out to clean and heat the tires for better traction. There is usually an area (looks like a very shallow ditch about 10 feet wide)they keep water in on both sides of the track to help with the burn-out proccess. It is definitely NOT recommended for street tires. There is an area of dry pavement between the water you can drive thru to get to the start.

BTW make sure your windows are up as you come up to start, it's a requirement. And embarassing if you forget and they announce it on the PA (I know from experience :oops: )

The tree (starting lights) consists of usually (2) small white ones on top. These are the staging lights, you have to pull up (slowly) until you get the first on and then the second one to come on.

Then you have a column of multiple yellow lights, a green one, and a red one. The yellow ones go on sequentially in a downward direction, and the green one means "GO" (kinda makes sense). If the red one comes on, it means you went too early (before green).

Power shifting is a matter of practice, and not something you should worry about at first. Ask ACR2NV, I was talking to him as I made my 1/4 runs.

The other driver shouldn't matter in the least, as you are running against the clock. Never be ashamed of your times, as EVERYONE had to start somewhere, and they are usually displayed on huge lit signs at the end of each run anyhow.

I would recommend getting your timeslips at the end of each run and numbering them as you get them. If you can remember what the RPM you launched at was, mark that on the slip too.

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
SRT-Hunter said:
When you power shift, do you keep the gas pedal to the floor while shifting....or do you let off a little??
You keep it floored the whole time but make sure you don't miss a gear when doing it. Some owners have complained about the car not wanting to go into gear sometimes, be sure to break the tranny in & practice before attempting it on the track.

As for the weight of the car goes, it's better to know what your cars weighs with you in it. Don't take their (dealers) word for it, weigh it at the track, it's free. Not sure what the SAE HP = 18.9 is General.

Good pointers Hunter.

Yes, cleaning the rocks off your tires with a short burnout is a good idea, try not to stall it though!

Before you run, it's also a good idea to look at other cars at the line and use a landmark like a sign on the wall as a reference to where you should pull up to so you don't over shoot the line.

Happy draggin! :D

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
good luck, and let us know how you did.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
i was blown away by the convo Raptor and i carried from the time we rolled onto the strip itself...at the end of the run ask him it went something like this *pass the trap he lets off* "THATS IT!!!???? :? " *i look puzzled at him* "YUP THATS IT!" *says he as he replies with a laugh*

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
The only thing I can add to this is, DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!! I've only made three total runs in my life and it was with my 1st gen neon. IMO, the christmas tree is the hardest to get used to!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here's a little more info--actually it's a lot! The first few times to the strip can be very intimidating since the entire experience is new to you. My first time was almost 2 years ago and I can still remember feeling very lost. I recommend watching some drag racing on the Speed channel if there's any on, just to get some ideas about the rules and launching. Also, before you get in line to race, just watch for a while. You'll learn a few things from watching others first.

Before you can get in line to race you have to go through tech inspection. If it isn't obvious where this is being done, just look for a line of cars with their hoods up and a guy with a clipboard looking around. Since your car is new it shouldn't take but a few seconds. When you pass inspection they will give you a piece of paper and put a number on your windshield and 1 side window.

There's more than one kind of drag race. Some tracks have "test and tune" races, and some also have "street legal" race nights. Normally, "test and tune" racing is slightly more organized because there will be guys like us there racing our daily drivers, but there might also be some serious racers there who are really doing some testing and tuning. The track *might* divide the cars up into NHRA classes and call each class to the staging lanes separately. If they do, you will have to make sure you are in the right lane at the right time. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Most folks at the drag strip are very nice people, just having fun like you.

Street legal racing isn't divided up into classes (except they might separate open-header cars from the rest). You just get in the lanes and you race whoever you happen to be next to. Whether it's test and tune or street legal it's just for fun. No points and no money. :(

"Staging" is something that almost every beginner gets nervous about and will probably screw up sometime. There's at least 3 track employees helping with staging. Basically, they tell you when to stop and when to move up. Make sure you follow their instructions. While the racer in front of you is doing his burnout you will be several yards behind him. Normally, after he is done with his burnout and moves up to the starting line the track official will motion you to move up to the water box (that's the burnout area). Sometimes they will make you wait until the racers in front of you have left the starting line. You can go around the water box if you want to (recommended). If your opponent is doing a burnout common courtesy is to wait until he is done before you stage (called "courtesy staging").

In the center of the track, at the starting line, there is a "median" kind of thing, usually made of wood, with the starting lights and other electronics in it. A few feet before the tree (starting lights) you will see 2 holes in the bottom of the median. These are the electronic staging beams that go across the starting line. Advance toward them slowly. If you pass them you'll have to back up and try again. If you pull all the way up to the tree you've gone several feet too far. When your front wheel breaks the first beam the top yellow light on the tree will come on. When you break the second beam the second yellow light will come on. When you have both yellow lights on at the same time you are properly staged at the starting line. Now you just wait for the tree to count down to the green. It won't start until both racers are staged. The lights come down at .5 second intervals. It happens fast!

When you pass through the traps (end of the 1/4) there will be a little yellow light on your side of the track that will come on to let you know you've crossed the finish line. Slow down quickly but safely. Look for the exit off the track and watch for the other driver exiting also. Stop at the timing booth and get your time slip. Get in line and do it again!

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
acr2nv said:
i was blown away by the convo Raptor and i carried from the time we rolled onto the strip itself...at the end of the run ask him it went something like this *pass the trap he lets off* "THATS IT!!!???? :? " *i look puzzled at him* "YUP THATS IT!" *says he as he replies with a laugh*
:shock: Dude did you check out this vid, Me and my cousin had about the same conversation, how weird :?

http://www.srtforums.com/hosted/daytonagts/0-100mph.wmv

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
12 Participants
drolander
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing