Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the SRT/4's have a 16G turbo is it a big 16G or small 16G? Also why did they make the turbo and the manifold one pice? Is that so you have to go through them to get a bigger turbo? That is just crazy to make it all one pice. If your manifold cracks you have to buy a new turbo with the manifold? I just don't see the logic in them making it that way. Maybe some one here can help shed some light on this.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There are a couple of reasons that I've heard. One is that it makes assembling the car a lot easier, which in production terms means "faster" and "cheaper." Second, since the exhaust is relatively free flowing and there is no muffler the one piece integrated system supposedly cuts down on emissions and noise. I don't know much about the specifics of the turbo.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Turbo model is TD04LR-16GK. You won't find a compressor map for it. In addition to what Mike said (all of which are correct) a one piece turbo/manifold also makes the turbo spool faster because less heat is lost between combustion chamber and turbo.

Basically the one piece unit is better for everything (except upgrading).

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
cast

Actually, upgrading it won't be bad as long as it's a turbo through Mopar.
The actual turbo is clamped on the manifold, so you could technically replace
just one or the other.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow it flows backwards? That odd. Yea i have the same turbo a small 16G on my car I can't wait to get my car fixed so i can line up with an SRT/4. My transfer case or center diff took a crap on me and my car is stuck in FWD instead of being AWD. :?

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
ASZRAEL1266 said:
wow it flows backwards? That odd. Yea i have the same turbo a small 16G on my car I can't wait to get my car fixed so i can line up with an SRT/4. My transfer case or center diff took a crap on me and my car is stuck in FWD instead of being AWD. :?
Damn!! how much is that gonna set you back?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ok,
There are two halfs to a turbo, the compressor side and the exhaust side.
They compressor side houses the compressor wheel and also the shaft that connects to the exhaust wheel which is in the exhaust housing.
So by unbolting the center ring from the turbo you will remove this essentially

You can see that the exhaust impeller will come out of the stock exhaust manifold/turbine housing when you remove the compressor side.
This is what is going to be upgraded with the mopar kits.
They will leave the factory exhaust mani/turbo hot side and replace the TD04(small) turbo with a higher flowing Tdo5 housing.
This will be an easy swap.
The 16g moniker can not be compared to the DSM 16g's.
The 16gs that are used as mild upgrades in DSMs utilize the TDO5 housing for improved flow. Even the stock DSm turbos use this higher flowing housing. When I looked at the SRT4 I also checked out the EVO and you could clearly see the size difference in the compressor side even though they both have a 16g wheel. The EVO having a TDO5H housing and the SRT4 using a smaller TDo4 Compr. side.
I believe the Suburus use tdo4's stock but dont quote me on that one. :)

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
yes it is reverse flow.

thats why it is faster than any other car. :p

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
DSM,

I dont see how they can get away by just swapping out the cartridge. I recall the TD05 being a bigger cartridge. I dont see how it will fit inside the turbine/manifold housing unless they machine it open a little?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Speaking from DSM MHI turbo experience you could swap a Big 16g wheeled TDO5H compressor side into the stock 6cm exhaust housing.
Now it is true that the DSM came stock with a tdo5 but the tdo5h was a good deal larger. What I am saying is what I feel to be the only logical thing DC will do with the upgrade. I really doubt they will replace the manifold/exhaust housing as well. You may be right however.. :wink:
Hell you can get a TDo6 compressor housing to work with a Tdo5 exhaust housing. Those were the first 20g's to be sold from Buschur.
They may give us a TDo5H compressor side and a clipped exhaust wheel to increase the flow through the stock Manifold/hot side. :?:

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
i thought stage III included the exhaust man., etc...

after all the stock turbo/manifold is only ~$500. :shock:

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
How about the actual cartridge body? YOu think they will keep the same cartridge? The only thing I can see them doing is installing a different compressor housing with a bigger wheel. ANd also as you said cliping the turbine. I cant see them putting a larger cartridge though.

If I was to upgrade mine on my own, It would be great cause I could then loose the stock surge valve. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
exhaust depot. if you upgrade your turbo wont that void your warranty?the new mopar performance mag should be out mid-spring with all are questions answered.cant wait.

·
Registered
449 Posts
lifeisdeath said:
i thought stage III included the exhaust man., etc...

after all the stock turbo/manifold is only ~$500. :shock:
I think (and hope) you are right. I really don't like the idea of such a small exhaust housing paired with a bigger compressor, and I don't see how they would keep the combustion temperatures low enough to prevent detonation at 300hp with the tiny stock exhaust housing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My 16G used the same housing as the 14B just you could tell the comp wheel was alot biger. I am going to try to load up a pic of the two next to each other that i took while my friend and I swaped them. For the other question about my car how much it will be to fix. If its the transfer case the dealer will replace it for free mine is only 5 months old. I had it replaced due to a recall for a leaky seal. My original one leaked all the fluid out and locked up on me so the dealer gave me a new one. If its the center diff i can get a new one for 190 and throw it in if the damage is not to bad if it the damage is bad then i will just go get a JDM tranny. The only thing diffrent from the JDM and US tranny is the JDM has a taller 5th gear becouse they came out of the VR4 gallant that they sale in Japan. So i hope the pics upload ok. Hmm ok i am not sure how to upload the pics so here is a link to the pics of the turbo while it was out.
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3343951653a
[/img]

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hope they replace the hole shabang as well.
Otherwise it will have to pulled off and ported.
Does anyone know if the "I" pipe that was supposed to be part of the upgrade kit is infact the O2 housing?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
You guys have to remember that in Mexico they use a two peice Exhuast Manifold and turbo set up. I am sure making an upgrade using the same design may be in there eyes. The reverse flow of the turbo is probably the most interesting thing to me. WHY?

·
Registered
61 Posts
gotta a quick question i have a stock turbo 05 srt4 i need to know if the turbine wheen is a super back or flatback can some one help me out TD04LR

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
16 Participants
Bad98rt
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing