Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 srt-4 and i got the mopar cat back on it, i want to delete the resonator, what size pipe would i need to get and will i need to weld it or can i buy clamps?

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
The stock piping is 2.25.. if that helps any.

Oh, and the Mopar Cat Back exhaust is junk btw IMHO.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
why would you want to delete the resenator. It doesnt' have any restriction?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
because he's an idiot.

the cat-back is awesome, you just won't see huge power gains from it, because there is still huge restriction in the downpipe.
If you switched to a 3" downpipe with a high-flow cat, and had a muffler shop cout out the pice that is 2.25" - you would have a solid exhaust system, up until you hit maybe 350hp, where it would be better to have 3" piping all the way...

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
TommyLee said:
Why is the Mopar/Borla Cat Back junk, in your opinion?
Yes its his opinion. There have been a few 3" exhaust systems that havent shown a better gain than the Mopar.

Now keep in mind the Mopar is a Cat back system so you will still have a 2.25" bottleneck from the 02 housing and downpipe.

The Mopar is a 2.5" system with a 2.25" connecter allowing it to bolt right up to the stock downpipe. It comes in like 4 pieces that use a slip system to connect and is held together by bands. The hardest and most annoying thing about the system is alighning the tips.

From what I have gathered connect the entire system loosly so you can readjust and you will have a better fit in the rear section.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, if i delete the resonator wouldn't it be louder?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
not louder really, but much deeper tone. Keep the resonator and buy a downpipe without cat from Maxxfabb..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MAxxfab seems to be one of the more expensive ones, any cheaper ones out there?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
sorry, i should have said removing the resonator would be a less deep tone than w/resonator..

And the maxxfab to mopar dp is one of the better, more complete kits.. You can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Maxxfab's systems are really nice.... I have one on my car and it really made a difference in topend power....

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
As mentioned above, if you don't plan on going over 350HP the Mopar Exhaust is perfect. Mated with a maxxfab DP it will equal power made with a 3" exhaust till about the 350HP range.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i dont want a cat but on there site it gives u two options, downpipe without cat or downpiipe with test pipe.. what should i get?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the borla catback, I removed the resonator and got a ticket for loud exhaust. I put it back on and put a maxxfab 3" dp with cat and it is louder now than when I got the ticket. The power gains from the maxxfab dp are great. It took .2 off of my 1/4 times.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Borat said:
i dont want a cat but on there site it gives u two options, downpipe without cat or downpiipe with test pipe.. what should i get?
If you want the option to run the cat, then run the test pipe at the track, go for the interchangeable one (most people run the race pipe, and install the cat only for emissions, but I didn't say that................).

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
TommyLee said:
Why is the Mopar/Borla Cat Back junk, in your opinion?
2.25 Inch = Stock
2.50 Inch = Mopar Cat Back

Why pay over 300.00 to put on piping that is only a quarter of a inch bigger? You can go to Midas and they'll cut up some 3 inch piping and make a catback cheaper than that probably, haha. It's a pointless mod and only a 3 inch exhaust, with 3 inch downpipe is going to help you. The more boost your pushing, the bigger exhaust your going to want to have.

Sorry but unlike others I only want the best on my car.

·
Registered
234 Posts
There's more to flow than size, but I'm sure that the guys at Midas all have taken Fluid Dynamics courses like the engineers at Borla.

I don't call something rigged up at Midas "the best for my car".

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
weaves said:
There's more to flow than size, but I'm sure that the guys at Midas all have taken Fluid Dynamics courses like the engineers at Borla.

I don't call something rigged up at Midas "the best for my car".
:werd: :imwithstu

They have the dummest people working there.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
How easy/difficult is a dp to install? Like, would it be a practical mod to put on knowing I'll have to replace it with the stock setup when I go in for smogging in the future? I am fairly mechanically inclined and I think this is one of the mods I'd like to do, just scary in cali.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts