Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
I would like to know what do you think about the Neon reliability since the new model in 2000 ?
Do you think it's pretty good? I heard/saw many horror stories about the neon, I'm kind of not sure if I want the srt-4 even with the outstanding performance, if you don't have a good quality to go with all this power.

I'm pretty sure some of you have a neon already, how is the quality in general??

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
well the srt-4 wont share the engine, clutch, and transmission with the neon. so we wont know about the srt-4 until it has been out for a year.

but every car company has bad problems. look at the focus. every seems to think it is a wonderful car, but it is in the middle of another recall. for 5 different things. AGAIN.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Do a good research on the 'horror stories' you've heard. Take note and judge. :wink:

As for 2000 and up, I cannot really speak for everyone but my own. I have a base 2000 Neon (manual) and have been beating it badly daily and all I can say is that I have gotten more than what I paid for. Yes, I'm satisfied with my car. My car now has about 105, 000 miles on it (my own miles) and it feels as solid as when I bought it with 2 miles on it. Here's the basic story.

* Changed broken Collant Temp unit (Around 50k miles)
* Spark Plug Tube Seal (Around 60k miles)

Both cost me less than $100.00 USD.

My Neon is very stubborn when it comes to visiting a shop for repairs which perhaps explain why it has been holding solid. Yeah, it has some minor performance stuff on it (CAI IceMan, A/FX Underdrive Pulley , Magnecor 8.5mm Plug Wires, and Magnum cam and Springs).

It's a car that is easy to maintain and fun to drive! But that's just me. 8)

BTW, read around the net, like http://www.neons.org as well as http://www.allpar.com/ for more info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Neons in general

I have a Patriot Blue 2000 Neon, went w/ my dad to his dodge dealer, and ended up leaving with one! I've never had a problem with it. I think they kind of get a bad rap, possibly from reliablity problems w/ earlier models.
The "Rodney Dangerfield" of cars, "No Respect"? My sister has a '99. Mine is a completey different car, in handling, ride, noise levels, fit and finish, etc, than hers. The 2000 and up models are pretty good, about the same as a Ford Focus, although I like their tighter steering. The only mistake I made is going w/ an automatic, it's not that good, and I miss shifting. I'm really thinking about trading my 2000 in for a silver SRT-4, once I don't owe more than the trade-in value, around March or April. My friend owns a 2000 Mustang GT, I told him we'll have to have a little face-off if I get that SRT-4. I'm thinking I'll blow his doors off!

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Can't really say anything bad about the Gen 1 models, at least from my perspective. I've got a 98 ACR w/72000 miles (all my miles).

I've had to replace 1 belt, and have the headgasket done at 64000(only cost $53 dealer owned up to the problem). 3 sets of street tires, and original brakes still on car.

It's seen numerous autocrosses, several drags, and some time at Sebring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
sirjohnny
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing