Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up my first srt4 its a 05, bone stock with 126,000 miles and i got it from the original owner. It was running on 2 cylinders #2 & #3 so first thing I did was a compression check and little to zero psi on #1 & #4. Im hoping Its just a head gasket or valves,timing but does anyone have a suggestion or anyone seen this with the srt4s?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
welcome.
good find..
if it sat for a long time, i'd add compressed air to the low/no compression cylinders and wack the valves.. might be rust preventing them from closing..

else pull the heat..

·
Registered
337 Posts
Pull off the valve cover gasket and crank the crank over with a socket. See if everything moves and if you hear any noises. You’ll have to pull the plugs for that otherwise you’ll have a really hard time turning the crank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pull off the valve cover gasket and crank the crank over with a socket. See if everything moves and if you hear any noises. You’ll have to pull the plugs for that otherwise you’ll have a really hard time turning the crank.
The engine starts and sounds great besides running only on cylinders 2 and 3. All plugs are firing and injectors working fine and little to no compression in 1 and 4. Also smell fuel in the oil i know a broke ring would cause that but could only valve damage or a hg also cause it? Thanks

·
Registered
337 Posts
If no compression it’s either the piston rings not sealing or the valves not closing. If the cams look ok, then borescope the cylinders to see if there’s any obvious damage. If no access to a scope then you’ll have to pull off the head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts