Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two part question here; Searched a good bit and can't quite find the solution...

Every time I get one the gas, even very lightly, the steering pulls to the right slightly and as soon as I let off it comes back left to straight. Recently changed everything underneath front and rear including new control Modern Performance arms with poly bushing front/DCR control arms rear, sway end links/mounts with poly bushing front/rear, new tie rods, new ball joints, new stock replacement struts with eibach pro-kit springs. Also new solid motor mounts. Did not do the tranny mount yet.
Got an alignment done and she tracks straight unless I give it gas. No weird noises, I and the alignment shop check tightness on everything. Wasn't doing this before I changed everything so not sure what I might have screwed up.

Second part; I changed the struts out for OEM replacements and got new rims and tires. Same size as what was replaced 18x8's with 225/40/18 tires. Previous setup had no spacers and did not rub anywhere. Now the tires rub the lower spring perch of the strut. Got the eibach 10mm spacer kit, and still had to "convince" the lower spring perch some with the whammer to clear on all 4 corners.

I will admit however that I changed the suspension because what I bought the car with rode like a basketball and bottomed out HARD over even slight bumps; old struts off the car could compress by hand and had almost ZERO rebound. However, the new ride quality I remembered from my last SRT with same setup (7 or 8 years ago) is not as good as I thought it used to be. Guess I'm getting old...time to look into other options I guess?

Don't know if the two issues are related at all or if the struts I got were incorrect but the fit up just fine and everything seemed to match what was taken off.

Any suggestions area appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
you likely got struts for a base model and not an SRT. The spring perch on the base model is lower and not very compatible.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Also, i have seen an issue where a bad axle caused a similar pulling issue.

·
Administrator
39,333 Posts
yep, wrong struts. The pulling is because something is loose. The Eibach springs are also junk. Too low/soft so you're going to be bottoming out even if you find correct SRT struts.

Quality coilovers are by far your best bet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the feedback; Doesn't "appear" to be an axle issue. They visually look alright, boots aren't torn, no grease, no clunks or signs od wear. But I did not pull them all the way out and disassemble to inspect either. Checked ever bolt I messed with and some I didn't and can't find anything loose. The only thing I have not done is mess with the trans mount...What are the chances this could be the culprit?

Going to also do a s*** ton of reading on here because opinions and feedback are near endless but am going to TRY and determine what the best coilover setup is for ride quality/stance and still decent (not necessarily track day level) performance. Still like to enjoy the back roads but not looking to do events like back in the day.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Something is loose. Prob lower control arm. Check all the bolts. Then use a prybar and start pulling on stuff til you find whats loose.

Reactions: Simon.Starkie
1 - 6 of 6 Posts