1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
They're a really old tire design and from what I understand Toyo hasn't update the compound much over time. If it's strictly for auto-x you'll likely find one of the many newer "R" type compounds or even some of the ultimate performance street compounds (i.e. Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup, BFGoodrich g-Force Rival, etc.) will surpass the old Toyo.

Off memory the R888 family might not be a terrible choice for shorter auto-x if you keep the tread temps from getting excessive and one of the main benefits is they still offer them in many smaller sizes, such as 13-15" diameters where there isn't much choice. If you're going with a 16-17" tire for the SRT-4 there's a ton of great choice and many newer, better ones in my opinion.

·
Administrator
38,903 Posts
not the best tire because you can't run in street tire classes and it's not as sticky as a R1-S or a7 (or other 40 treadwear rated tires) for the classes that allow it. The R888r and other 100 treadwear tires are more for track days, IMO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They're a really old tire design and from what I understand Toyo hasn't update the compound much over time. If it's strictly for auto-x you'll likely find one of the many newer "R" type compounds or even some of the ultimate performance street compounds (i.e. Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup, BFGoodrich g-Force Rival, etc.) will surpass the old Toyo.

Off memory the R888 family might not be a terrible choice for shorter auto-x if you keep the tread temps from getting excessive and one of the main benefits is they still offer them in many smaller sizes, such as 13-15" diameters where there isn't much choice. If you're going with a 16-17" tire for the SRT-4 there's a ton of great choice and many newer, better ones in my opinion.
I really like the new BFG Rival 1.5S. I have a set of 17x8 RPF1's with a 225/45-17 G-Force KDW that I ran last season with great success but I would rub a good bit which has me leaning towards running with the factory ACR wheels.

not the best tire because you can't run in street tire classes and it's not as sticky as a R1-S or a7 (or other 40 treadwear rated tires) for the classes that allow it. The R888r and other 100 treadwear tires are more for track days, IMO.
Also, if you've gone away from the acr struts then the tire sizes really open up for you.
I am on BC's so I am good there. My Brother runs the RE-71R on his GTI and loves them. I don't ever anticipate doing track days with the car and the courses here are traditionally shorter with my average times in the mid to low 40 second range.

·
Administrator
38,903 Posts
If you stick with the ACR wheels then I'd go with a 225/50-16, more options to choose from. If you really want to be competitive then the a7 or bfg r-1 would be the way to go, but the grip level is addictive and expensive.

If you use the 17x8 wheels then the R-1 in a 235/40-17 would be great and shouldn't rub, or the 225/45 with the r1-s, a7, or Hankook z214 c71 compound would be amazing. Just find out where you're rubbing and fix it, either a bit more ride height, camber change, etc.

If you stick with street tires then the 235/40-17 still has a lot of options in the Extreme Performance category. I haven't been on the Rival S 1.5 but the RE-71r is an amazing tire, very direct and loads of grip. Still streetable but have a bit of a growl.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you stick with the ACR wheels then I'd go with a 225/50-16, more options to choose from. If you really want to be competitive then the a7 or bfg r-1 would be the way to go, but the grip level is addictive and expensive.

If you use the 17x8 wheels then the R-1 in a 235/40-17 would be great and shouldn't rub, or the 225/45 with the r1-s, a7, or Hankook z214 c71 compound would be amazing. Just find out where you're rubbing and fix it, either a bit more ride height, camber change, etc.

If you stick with street tires then the 235/40-17 still has a lot of options in the Extreme Performance category. I haven't been on the Rival S 1.5 but the RE-71r is an amazing tire, very direct and loads of grip. Still streetable but have a bit of a growl.
It’s rubbing up in the fender so I’ll need to raise the front up a bit. I do drive the car to the track (less than 10 miles) so I’ll Most likely stick with an aggressive street tire. The RE-71 would be great because then I can whip up on my brother with the same tire :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts