Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, It seems that the SEB listed to some of our input because:
July-FastTrack said:
· The following class change proposals have been recommended by the SPAC and are published here for member comment:
  • Move from CSP to DSP, Dodge SRT-4. (ref. 07-291)
HOWEVER, they have ALSO submitted a re-classification proposal for member comment on the Mini Cooper S into DS:
July-FastTrack said:
The following class change proposals are submitted for member review:
  • Move the listings for the variants of the Mini Cooper S which are currently in G Stock to D Stock.
  • Move the listing for the Mini Cooper S John Cooper Works package which is currently in B Stock to D Stock.
The following new class listing is proposed and submitted here for member review:
  • Mini Cooper S Works GP package: DS
So, this could be good and bad...
Good as the Mini S falls into STX (< 2.0L FI) and adds to our position that the SRT-4 should ALSO be classified in STX. :clap:
Bad in the fact that those Minis are damn quick! :flame:

·
Registered
303 Posts
DSP would be a nice change. I ran CSP last year and got beat up by Miatas. I am running STU and dont have anyone else in the class but index isnt good. I would be happy to move back to DSP, should at least be somewhat competitive.

Edit: Minis aren't Miatas

·
Registered
415 Posts
jstbrd said:
DSP would be a nice change. I ran CSP last year and got beat up by minis. I am running STU and dont have anyone else in the class but index isnt good. I would be happy to move back to DSP, should at least be somewhat competitive.
We don't have Minis in our CSP class here, but I'd give almost anything to get away from the Miatas and CRXs I line up next to every month. Those guys are quick!

·
Registered
303 Posts
M1_ said:
jstbrd said:
DSP would be a nice change. I ran CSP last year and got beat up by minis. I am running STU and dont have anyone else in the class but index isnt good. I would be happy to move back to DSP, should at least be somewhat competitive.
We don't have Minis in our CSP class here, but I'd give almost anything to get away from the Miatas and CRXs I line up next to every month. Those guys are quick!
Sorry...must have been typing too fast...meant to say Miatas... :rofl:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Minis to DS are a good idea, IMHO. Yea, it will make things a bit tougher for us DS guys, as there are lots of well prepared Minis out there. However, the best part of autocrossing for me is good, fair competition, and I think the Minis will provide it. Right now, the rest of GS doesn't enjoy good, fair competition against the dominant minis, except maybe for the SE-R, which might become the next car to have for GS.

Steve

·
Registered
775 Posts
rallyfreak said:
Minis to DS are a good idea, IMHO. Yea, it will make things a bit tougher for us DS guys, as there are lots of well prepared Minis out there. However, the best part of autocrossing for me is good, fair competition, and I think the Minis will provide it. Right now, the rest of GS doesn't enjoy good, fair competition against the dominant minis, except maybe for the SE-R, which might become the next car to have for GS.

Steve
http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/249845.aspx

I added some thoughts on the thread over on SCCAForums. It occured to me as I was writing my post that the one car that is really messing up the classing of sedans in Stock Category autocrossing is not the MCS but the Type-R. Take that out of the equation in DS, move the MCSs there and the current issues with these classes (DS, GS, HS) appear to be solved. Right?

I do feel like a bit of an a$$ since a change like that would directly benefit us, but I threw it out there to see what others looking at this objectively like I think I am, think. Sometimes you just have to throw up an idea and see how it lands...

·
Registered
470 Posts
As much as I hate say it, I don't think the Type Rs are really in the wrong class. I've beaten all but the fastest three Type Rs I've raced against (Kinch Reindl, Bartek Borowski, and Bruno Lajoie). I know I can beat Bruno, if I run perfect.

Beating Kinch and Bartek will be course dependant. I could have beaten them on the first course at nationals last year. My first run sucked, my second run I had the shift knob flying off fiasco, and I went out on my third run trying to go fast but also being sure not to hit a cone, and ended up going slower than my crappy first run. The second day's course I ran about as well as I could have, but it was transition heavy, and thus very beneficial to the Type R.

Also have to keep in mind ProSolo, which uses the same classing rules. Despite a Type R winning last year, I had the lead after Friday evening, but succumbed to the pressure on Saturday.

One last thing, Type R's have been competitive for years, and thus have been fully developed, and are in the hands of some pretty awesome drivers. You have to give them credit too. Also, they wouldn't fit into any other classes, and you'd upset a whole lot of Type R owners by moving them to another class.

I'd like to say our cars are pretty well developed, but honestly, we just have some Konis that seem to work pretty well, but haven't gone the double adjustable route, spent any time with a shock supplier tuning the shocks, etc.

Through in the Hoosier question, which Nick seems to really like over the Kumhos, and that may make our cars even faster. I'm not sure I want our cars to become the overdog for the class, or we may be at risk of people trying to bump us to FS or something.

Two new cars to watch out for this year. There are a few guys running new WRX's that fit 245/45R17s on them. If it rains, look out for them. The other driver/car is JT Leutkeman driving a Audi TT with 275!!! width Hoosiers. He drove my car at a local event and was just 0.1 seconds behind me. I'll get an idea how fast he is in his car at the Milwaukee tour, though he'll be running in Peru the week before against Bruno, Carl Wener, and the Borowski brothers. That should be another chance to see how fast he is. And don't even mention rain with his car... Oh, and the TT is just over 3000 lbs, much lighter than a WRX, R32, or BMW.

Well, gotta get some sleep. Need to be fully rested to try to win the DC ProSolo again this year. Much more and tougher competition this year.

Steve B.

·
Registered
775 Posts
All very true. Good post!

I have a feeling I may need to check some body amor out of my unit for the posts my comments are likely to get over there. :ninja:

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm practicing being fair with my comments, as I have been asked to nominate myself to take Marcus Merideth's place on the SEB. I still haven't decided if I'm going to throw my hat in the ring, I have a few months to decide.

·
Registered
775 Posts
rallyfreak said:
I'm practicing being fair with my comments, as I have been asked to nominate myself to take Marcus Merideth's place on the SEB. I still haven't decided if I'm going to throw my hat in the ring, I have a few months to decide.
Cool man and good luck with that. I enjoyed my time on the STAC but a job like that is like being a member of congress sometimes (it is a political position). You truely learn there is no way to please everybody and it is guaranteed that the one you piss off will let you know, too.

Just don't answer the pleebs' questions like Hollis did mine about the SRT-4 to STX. I figured the conference call schedule might have had something to do with why it didn't make it into Fastrac but to then say "the STAC "did" discuss it but any proposal would have to be out by now...read into this what you may," is crap. I sent a message in support of Gimp's proposal and I got no response from Mr. Gill, even with leaving a voicemail around the same time about another issue, and no response from the SEB or STAC, either. Then, asking on a public forum got me a cryptic response.

"Steve, sorry, we got super busy with other rule change proposals and couldn't get it in in time for this year. Some guys like the idea but we think it needs to be tossed around some more. We'll work on it for '09" would have been better, IMO. If that's what the real story is...

·
Registered
303 Posts
When will the results of the DSP option be published?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts