Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from: http://kptechnologies.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=0953089d1c3381b42716f11b380d9704

Thanks to DewieJR, KPtechnologies completed its first SRT4 installation today. Despite several hardware issues (attributed to install errors by no other then myself) we got the module working fairly easily. The hardest part would either be getting the tach wire through the firewall or deciding where to mount the programming button.

We ended up getting through the firewall by poking through the factory grommet using a very long screwdriver. Once through, we taped our wire to the screwdriver and pulled it back out. The grommet is located in the upper corner of the firewall and is hard to get to, but we managed.

Under the hood, we had to remove the OEM air box to gain access to the PCM. There are three plugs on the 2004 2.4L Turbo motor, and our wire was in the middle of them (orange plug). It was the harness that let back towards to the motor, as the other two harnesses came to the front of the engine bay. We opened up the harness and found a gray/black wire. We stripped it back, o'scoped it and found a perfect squarewave. At idle the square wave operated at 400hz. We routed our wire around the back of the battery and down to the access point we make in the harness.

Inside the car, Micah already had installed a Blitz turbo timer, so I kinda cheated. I tapped the ground off the turbo timer, which was secured to a bolt behind the fuse box cover and then I tapped the ignition output of the turbo timer. This wire reads 12vdc in the key 'on' position and 'crank' position. I'm not sure what color the factory wire is that the turbo timer tapped in to, but I believe it to be a blue wire in the main ignition harness that leads to the ignition key switch (from www.the12volt.com).

Once the major electrical connections were done, we proceded to mounting the LED and the programming button. We decided to not drill a hole in the Apillar for the LED as the slope of the Apillar is fairly agressive (the mounting hole must be drilled at eye level angle). Instead, we clamped the LED between the apillar trim piece and the headliner. The Apillar trim piece pulls right out, and is very easy to work with (two metal clips hold it in).

We looked high and low for a place to mount the pushbutton. The pushbutton of choice was from Happ Controls and is actually a professional arcade push button. I love them for their positive feel, and high quality. The major drawback is they are deep (1" or so behind the mounting surface), and they sit kind of high off of the mounting surface. We threw around a few ideas, but decided to keep it simple and mount it to the lower dash in plain sight. Given some more time I would have liked to wire it in to the 'flash to pass' switch on the staulk, but this worked just as well (and looks pretty cool).

For those who don't know, the shift light programs by holding the programming button down for five seconds. After five seconds the light dimly lights up (the LED has two brightnesses). After it lights up, release the programming button and the LED will begin to flash. You then rev your engine to 1/2 of where you want the LED to come on. I.E., for a 6,000 RPM shift point you would rev to 3,000RPM. Once you have the engine resting at 1/2 of your set point you press the button again. The module will automatically calculate the shift point and store it in its EEProm memory (meaning it will retain the shift point, even if disconnected). There are NO pills, cylinder selects, or any other switches to set. The module can be reprogrammed at will, as many times as you wish (although the EEProm has a typical write life of I believe 100,000 cycles).

Another great feature of this shift light is that it can quickly be set as a high speed notification on the highway (since SRT4s lack cruise control). If you note your RPM at your desired high speed, say 70mph, and program you shift light to come on AT that RPM, then whenever you hit 70mph your shift light will blink! Who would have ever thought your shift light would keep you from getting a ticket!

OK, on to the pictures: [NOTE: The picture of the LED shows the shift light in the DIM setting, NOT the super bright.]

Once again, thank you DewieJR for spending a few hours with me today and helping us test this out!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts