Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80178
Aspen20, ContraAL, and myself have all more or less run into the same problems when running this cat-back exhaust. I imagine we're not the only ones, but here is what we've all noticed...

1.) The mid-pipe has clearance issues when it goes over the framerail. For some of us it's worse than others. Taking hard turns and bumps causes the mid-pipe to bang of the car.

http://home.comcast.net/~blackhandclan/RUB1.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~blackhandclan/RUB2.JPG

2.) The tips are offset slightly to the left. It's a visual issue, not a clearance issue, but it's a concern nonetheless.

http://home.comcast.net/~blackhandclan/exhaust_tips.jpg

3.) The piping which connects to the catalytic converter won't go on all the way. No matter how hard we push, twist, hammer, and kick it won't budge. On all 3 cars it bottoms out at about 1/2" - 1/4" from the nipple on the cat. This wouldn't even be worth mentioning but when I contacted DC Sports with our concerns and some pictures the engineering consensus on their end was that the mid-pipe clearance issues were a direct result of the imperfect connection at the cat.

http://home.comcast.net/~blackhandclan/Nipple.JPG

ContraAl has more experience with aftermarket exhaust than Aspen20 or myself so he's already taken it upon himself to begin troubleshooting some of these issues. In the meantime I'm looking for feedback from anyone with exhaust expertise...exhaust depot, scottmech, custom tubes inc, etc.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Hard to say if thats the cause or not. That would only effect the length of the overall system from front to back. You would think that if the system wont fit over the cat all the way, the system from there back would be longer, and it should actually move the aft bend in the over axle pipe toward the rear of the car, giving you more clearance. If it fit correctly (over the cat all the way), the system would be shorter giving you more clearance issues.

If there is any play on in the flanged joints, try this. Loosen the joints and rotate any joint that will move that pipe away from the frame support as much as you can, then retighten.

If DC sports says it's a problem with the way the pipe fits over the cat, they should do whatever it takes to make it right. I spent 2 days getting the MAXX Fab system fitting right, then drove it for a month to make sure material growth, settelling and other issues would not cause any clearance issues.

Flanged joints are a great joint..if they are located perfectly. If not they can be a real pita, as you have found out. A lot of times there are deviations in the design from prototype to production. Usually a preprototype is made here, it is sent over seas to be measured, bent up and welded, then the prototype is sent back over here to be approved. Once it is approved, the parts are made, but they are made off prints, not examples. There can also be deviations from batch to batch, and the quality will drop, till the retailer complains, then the problems are fixed. Thyen the cycle continues. Would you believe this is actually cheaper than making them over here??

Anyhow I know this really doesn't help much, just wanted you to know what you may be up against.............I really wish I could be more help to you. Without looking at the system personally, I can't do much more.

·
Retired Member
11,452 Posts
thats why my O2 housing and catless DP will be ordered from Maxx Fab...

I've yet to see a exhaust product that beats his craftsmanship.

also I'm pretty sure the stock exhaust is offset a bit to the driver side and the driver side pipe is inset while the passenger on is sticking out a bit more (almost looks to me like its twisted clockwise on a horizantal axis). I got my Mopar done buy a hard core neon guy at a dodge dealership and it was off set as above mentioned. I was concerned and looked at my friends stock 04 exhaust and it looked identical to my mopar. his car had 2k miles mine like 200...

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your comments fellas. I'm going to work on getting the tips lines up perfectly before anything else since I don't have quite the degree of a clearance issue at the over-axle pipe as Aspen20 did. Short of heating up those steel hanger pins and hammering them to hang at the height and angle I want them, is there anything else I can do to offset the tips to the passenger side of the car? It's a small problem but it's bugging me.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
for where the exhaust pipes touching and banging on turns in your pics you can always put header, exhaust wrap on it to cushion it and keep it from damaging both the exhaust and car. for the tips you can just bang the hooks over alittle and it will re-align the exhaust easily.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Broken5hifT said:
...for the tips you can just bang the hooks over alittle and it will re-align the exhaust easily...
Is that safe? Won't those things break before they bend unless you heat them up with something?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Steiner said:
Is that safe? Won't those things break before they bend unless you heat them up with something?
It's an easy procedure.. I would not do it, considering that this is an issue with like three cars now. I think DC should fess up and fix these issues.

In retrospect, I wish I had done more research and purchased a system from Modern or MAXX Fab. Maybe you and I expect more from an after market company than most?? I dunno..

Just my .02..

~Rich

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aspen20 said:
In retrospect, I wish I had done more research and purchased a system from Modern or MAXX Fab. Maybe you and I expect more from an after market company than most?? I dunno..

Just my .02..

~Rich
I agree. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought Scott's setup. But I got this setup so I'm gonna try to do what I can to get it right. When I hit a wall I'll take it to an exhaust shop.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Hey, y'all. I have the DC sports exhaust as well, but don't seem to have the same problems you're having. Although my mid-pipe DOESN'T have any clearance issues, my right tip DOES stick out a little further than the left.

How did you attach the mid-pipe's slip-flange to the downpipe? I gotta admit, I was pretty frustrated trying to muscle them together by myself. So I recruited my girlfriend to sit behind the car and push forward on the exhaust tips while I laid under the car and wiggled the fitting until the two pipes were flush. But even with her doing half the work, it still took quite a bit of effort on my part. Maybe you might try something like that? If you already did, well, good luck . . . . . :(

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Steiner said:
heating them up is the safest way. but for a slight move i dont think it would break if u use a rubber mallet

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeffiam said:
Hey, y'all. I have the DC sports exhaust as well, but don't seem to have the same problems you're having. Although my mid-pipe DOESN'T have any clearance issues, my right tip DOES stick out a little further than the left.
The right tip sticks out more once the car heats up and the stainless steel expands. On the right side of the last section of piping the elbow isn't welded to the rest of the piping. That's why it has some play. That's normal and it's not a problem for me.

Jeffiam said:
How did you attach the mid-pipe's slip-flange to the downpipe? I gotta admit, I was pretty frustrated trying to muscle them together by myself. So I recruited my girlfriend to sit behind the car and push forward on the exhaust tips while I laid under the car and wiggled the fitting until the two pipes were flush. But even with her doing half the work, it still took quite a bit of effort on my part. Maybe you might try something like that? If you already did, well, good luck . . . . . :(
I'll tell you this much, it was a bitch...check that...it was a dirty whore to get that piece on. With both Aspen20 and I working together we still couldn't get the flange all the way on the downpipe. You can see from the picture below that it bottoms out about 1/4"-1/2" from the nipple. I don't think it will go on any further.

http://home.comcast.net/~blackhandclan/Nipple.JPG

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't have the clearance issues with my DC exhaust. The muffler shop actually opened up the pipe ahead of the resonator to get it to go all the way on the pipe. He also used a mallet while it was on the lift, otherwise it would've made it all the way on. The clamp was really not needed :jester:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lbsrt4 said:
I don't have the clearance issues with my DC exhaust. The muffler shop actually opened up the pipe ahead of the resonator to get it to go all the way on the pipe. He also used a mallet while it was on the lift, otherwise it would've made it all the way on. The clamp was really not needed :jester:
Well shit dude...If an exhaust shop has to Jimmy-rig something then I'd say that's a pretty good indication that this setup isn't exactly "plug and play".

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took the car to a highly regarded muffler shop yesterday to see if they could fix the 3 problems I mentioned above. They were able to 1.) get the pipe all the way flush with the nipple at the cat and 2.) fix the clearance issues with the mid-pipe at the frame support.

After fixing these 2 issues the tips were still horribly misaligned and offset to the left even though DC Sports/AEM claimed that this was the cause of the problem. I spoke with the owner and another tech for over 20 minutes about the tips. They said they could heat up the piping and try to bend them into alignment, but it would leave a big brown mark on the stainless steel. None of us liked that idea. His second suggestion, and the suggestion he would do if it was his car, was take pictures of the alignment of the tips from behind, behind at a 45 degree angle, under, and then under and back towards the center of the car. The pictures will clearly show that the tips section was simply not produced to proper specifications. It confirms what both Aspen20 and myself knew from the minute we put this setup in...it don't fucking fit right!

The next step is to see what kind of response I get from DC Sports/AEM. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because they've worked with me in the past, but their recommended fix from a month ago cost me almost $100 in labour and didn't do what they claimed.

·
Registered
520 Posts
and to think this exhaust is almost 800$ for a cat back LOL dc sports better offer a blow job with it for that kind of cash

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Guys,

Thought you otta know I'm working with a customer on a dp that will mate up with DC exhaust to make a full 3 inch cat back.

Should know if it works out in 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
scottmech said:
Guys,

Thought you otta know I'm working with a customer on a dp that will mate up with DC exhaust to make a full 3 inch cat back.

I told myself no more power mods after S2. Man my wife is gonna kill me. Thanks a lot Scott! ;)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
scottmech said:
Guys,

You're nto going to make a DC Sports exhaust a "full 3 cat-back" unless you do something about the neck down to 2.5" just before the tailpipes split.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts