Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i just bought a 2005 srt 4 with 121k miles today in 7/10 condition. no leaks in the engine bay or undercarriage except for the power steering pump which i am not worried about at the moment. i bought it for 2000$ from a kid who had never heard it run or had even drove it whatsoever. crazy right? he bought it from a guy who installed a pushbutton start on the car. you still have to put the key in the ignition and then push the button to start it which totally defeats the purpose of even having one! so when i use the pushbutton key method all it does is crank over no start whatsoever. all the pushbutton is is 2 wires positive and ground going straight into the starter motor relay in the engine bay fuse box so i pulled the wires out and put the proper relay into place go to turn the key and start and it wont even crank or turn over that way. so i put the pushbutton back in the relay and hook my jumper cables up to the battery because it was definitely dead and try to crank again and it just kills it doesn't even have enough power to roll windows up. took battery off its currently on a charger. i investigate the interior fuse box and take the dash apart to see ignition wiring. the number 12 fuse is completely empty no pins or wires i believe that's supposed to be the ignition on off fuse from what i read. according to the guy the computer is fried in it because of his whack job of wiring but i refuse to believe that because i can read codes on the car. its only throwing a throttle position sensor code and the dash says fuse on it where the mileage is supposed to be. when i did hear the car crank all the internals sounded fine with no issues. i have a good guess that a pushbutton start probably requires more then 2 wires ran into the relay. i want to remove the pushbutton completely and return the car to the way it is supposed to be. turn key ignition. please help me i have no clue what to do.

·
Super Moderator
16,762 Posts
Start here.

**** SRT-4 / Neon Service Manuals ****

It is rather crazy to try and override the SKIM setup, I don't know if the previous owner thought he'd be able to set everything up with a pushbutton and not even use the key but the amount of work it would take to make that happen is really not worth it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's messed up the SKIM but the car should run for 2 seconds and shut down if that were the case. There's a LOT of things that could be wrong. I hate electrical, it's such a pain in the butt. I'd start with getting all of the wiring back to normal and get rid of that push button nonsense, are you reasonably able to read electrical schematics?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start here.

** SRT-4 / Neon Service Manuals **

It is rather crazy to try and override the SKIM setup, I don't know if the previous owner thought he'd be able to set everything up with a pushbutton and not even use the key but the amount of work it would take to make that happen is really not worth it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's messed up the SKIM but the car should run for 2 seconds and shut down if that were the case. There's a LOT of things that could be wrong. I hate electrical, it's such a pain in the butt. I'd start with getting all of the wiring back to normal and get rid of that push button nonsense, are you reasonably able to read electrical schematics?
yes actually i am in college for industrial electricity so i can definitely understand schematics i just need to know where to find them and the information for the wire colors

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Start here.

** SRT-4 / Neon Service Manuals **

hey i messaged you privately could you please get back to me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.