Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed after doing my new fuel lines yesterday that my belt is not riding like it should on the pulley. See first pic

I just replaced the pump and pulley last year. I pressed the pulley on flush. See second pic.

When I put the belt back where it should be, it moves back to where it is in the first pic.

No other pulleys in the system have been touched since the new pump was installed. Could I have the wrong pulley? Could the tensioner be getting weak? Could I just pull the pulley out the width of one rib and make it ride correctly? I don't see anyone on the forums that ever had this exact issue with any response showing a fix.
Power_steering_pulley2.jpg
Power_steering_pulley1.jpg

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It was the belt tensioner. I replaced it and the warped belt. Drove it. Works great. You can see from the pic where it was riding toward the outside. The swinging arm part was moving outward under belt tension. It was probably the bearing/bushing it swings on was worn out. Here's the picture.

Attachments

Reactions: fixit

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
glad you figured it out. Easy enough fix!

·
Registered
515 Posts
It was the belt tensioner. I replaced it and the warped belt. Drove it. Works great. You can see from the pic where it was riding toward the outside. The swinging arm part was moving outward under belt tension. It was probably the bearing/bushing it swings on was worn out. Here's the picture.
Solid repair. How many miles did the tensioner last? Did it make any noise?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
120k miles, so I can't complain that the part was a horrible design. I did get a squeal every once in a while, but it was pretty rare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts