Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a month ago my serpentine belt fell off due to the tensioner breaking. I just now had a chance to replace the tensioner and belt today. I realized my power steering reservoir was empty. I went ahead and replaced the two pieces and filled the reservoir back up. Well when everything was done I started the car. And boom power steering fluid is squirting all over the down pipe, making it to the turbo, and even some is squirting far enough to come through the passenger side wheel. I can’t visibly see where it’s coming from on top. And I havnt had a chance to check down lol. But I did notice my ps cooler is pretty banged up. But another thing is my steering wheel started to shake pretty violently over 60mph. Any ideas? I’ve been looking into just doing the whole steering rack. But if that’s not my problem then no thanks n

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m going to try to get down and look at it today. I did notice the boot on the inner tie rod looks pulled inwards on the passenger side. I also noticed that one of the busing on the lca is also shot. Not sure if that would cause a vibration that bad.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
sounds like your car is begging to have some PMs (preventative maintenance) done to it.

Consider the age of these cars and no doubt the mileage and figure anything rubber is likely worn and needs inspecting/replacing. That goes for belts, bushings, and lines.

Personally, if my PS ever acts up, its getting ripped out. I hate how the system is routed and runs under the engine. Ive gone back and forth on whether to just take it out anyways...

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
^I regretted removing the PS on my old silver SRT-4. Now if it is a drag only car then I say go for it. I think having a manual rack swapped in will help to. Or completely gutting the factory rack and resealing it. (sorry for the hijack OP)

I had my OEM PS pump whining bad. Put in a reman one in and it leaked out the seal on the bottom. Go Mopar OEM if they are available still. Very pricey from what I remember from like 7 or 8 years ago. Having a bad pump will put extra strain on the rack too. which ended up failing on mine too. First reman rack was bad, was missing a port. 2nd one was a winner. Ended up looping the lines on it and removing the PS. Regretted doing that. PITA to drive in parking lots or low speed.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
completely gutting the factory rack and resealing it.
this is what i would do if i did remove PS. There are how-tos and youtube videos out there showing how to do it to the SRT rack.

BUT, since i've never had an issue with mine... it hasnt pissed me off enough to remove it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I seen a video on how to de-power the rack. But I havnt considered it yet. I took the passenger wheel off looking for what the problem is. But it looks like the inner tie rod is just leaking fluid out of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts