Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many, we're having issues with the volume knob on our stock head unit. It works randomly and jumps up or down regardless of which way it's being turned. Is there a way to fix this or am I better off just replacing it? If replacing, I'll probably just get another stock unit and assume to have this same issue in another 8 years, haha.

Side note: I'm not very adept with electronics, but follow directions well.

Thanks very much for the help.

*and sorry, this isn't my first post, it's my wifes account she never used as we both have SRTs and I can't remember my signup email.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
You might be able to take the unit apart and spray some contact cleaner from Radio Shack into the potentiometer (metal part the knob sticks out of).
I know how you feel. I've had my hands on 3 stock stereos and they all have that same problem.
I just spent $100 on a JVC unit that has bluetooth, aux input, and plays music from memory sticks instead of spending too much time on the stock one that lacks all those things. :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
My stocker does the same thing. I've dealt with it for two years, I finally got sick of it and bought a jvc bluetooth unit for 89.00 and havent looked back. Really wish i would have replaced it sooner. As the stock unit leaves alot to be desired..

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Yup same here... just replaced a cheap-o JVC unit. Not looking for mind blowing sound out of this car as half the time I can't even hear it anyways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, definitely sounds like a consensus, haha. Might try what bzzt said and see if that does anything, otherwise cheap-ish replacement seems to be the way to go.

Is this jvc a direct fit? I'm assuming we'll lose the 6 disc as well? Which really doesn't get used anyway...

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice people. Putting in the new clutch and bushings this weekend then pulling out the head unit.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You might be able to take the unit apart and spray some contact cleaner from Radio Shack into the potentiometer (metal part the knob sticks out of).
I know how you feel. I've had my hands on 3 stock stereos and they all have that same problem.
I just spent $100 on a JVC unit that has bluetooth, aux input, and plays music from memory sticks instead of spending too much time on the stock one that lacks all those things. :D
it's not a potentiometer, it's a rotary encoder.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
My faceplate fried on the stock radio so I swapped plates to find out I had a bum volume knob on the replacement radio I picked up. I simply swapped it out the bad knob with the good one from my old unit. Two torx screws and you should have a working knob again. So if you stumble across any old head units that are broken or are dirt cheap you can swap the knob if you want to keep the stock look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like many, we're having issues with the volume knob on our stock head unit. It works randomly and jumps up or down regardless of which way it's being turned. Is there a way to fix this or am I better off just replacing it? If replacing, I'll probably just get another stock unit and assume to have this same issue in another 8 years, haha.

*and sorry, this isn't my first post, it's my wifes account she never used as we both have SRTs and I can't remember my signup email.
I know it's not the same radio, but doing this fixed my stock 09 charger radio

·
Registered
3 Posts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts