Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it states.

Now I've searched the forum for answers but just wanna clear idea of where to go.

So engine is torn apart, and I have I found forged pistons and rods locally , and if funding is ok I want to try and purchase them.
Now my question is if I do put the weisco in my engine . Do I have to remove the oil squirters ?

My end goal would be 400hp . And the stock components are good enough for this. But for $200 bucks for some forged rods can't beat that .

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Did you post about this a couple days ago on Facebook?

anyways, no the oil squiters do not have to come out.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Personally I don’t think I would buy the pistons until you get the bore checked by a machinist.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So by head was warped . $50 charge machine shop here in Oregon will fix that. As for the block I tried to hone it at home to find out it's too groved up inside the walls. So $144 to machine it 20 over. And get it flat another $144 cleaning included.

So know I need to find oversize pistons.

Can I run stock rods ? And just use bigger pistons that are 20 over ? Never done this kind of thing before .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought you said you found rods locally with the WISECO pistons? I wouldn't run stock rods and aftermarket pistons, run good forged rods too. "Do it Once, Do it Right."
I did find some but there standard size. Not over sized . Machine shop will let me make payments . I wasn't expecting to spend so much money.

On a budget though ? Would it hurt to run stock rods ?

·
Premium Member
6,801 Posts
No it will not hurt to run stock rods, you will have to change them if you want to go for more HP though. I do not recall if the wrist pins on the WISECO pistons are larger than the stock pistons and if they are you are not going to be able to reuse the stock rods.
By bigger rods what do you mean, the crank (big) or the wrist pin (small) side? If the block is being bored .020 over then you need pistons that are .020 over. The rods have nothing to do with this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it will not hurt to run stock rods, you will have to change them if you want to go for more HP though. I do not recall if the wrist pins on the WISECO pistons are larger than the stock pistons and if they are you are not going to be able to reuse the stock rods.
By bigger rods what do you mean, the crank (big) or the wrist pin (small) side? If the block is being bored .020 over then you need pistons that are .020 over. The rods have nothing to do with this.
I'm new to this oversize thing so , any info helps.thanks for the info so far.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
One thing to consider even if the wrist pin size is the same as the aftermarket pistons, the stock rods were designed for use with the lightweight cast pistons. If you install heavier forged pistons that will place way more load on the rods. It's not always too much power pushing down on the rod that will cause them to fail, but also piston speeds (up-and-down in the bore, i.e. increasing with rpms) where the big end can stretch and come apart.

It's understandable that you're running into unexpected expenses. It's easy for me to say do it right the first time or you'll be going back in, but that's up to your budget.

One option if you haven't considered it and assuming you have another car to drive and can keep the SRT-4 down a while longer would be to find a clean, lower mile PT Cruiser turbo engine to drop in and get it back on the road. They're fairly common at some of the self-server junkyards now. That would let you keep the current engine out and build it up as time and money allow you to do it right.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not gonna bore you with my financial distress . But machine shop has the engine that's half my battle. Machinist told me get oversized pistons and he'll match the bore of the cylinder . So currently looking for some used rods, or something cheaper.

I'll drop some pics . Of the cylinder walls.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts