Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know anything about 4 cylinders but I'm assuming you can port the head and possibly the intake/manifold as well. Pleas let me know if anyone has done this on a 4 cylinder and if you guys think it's worth doing.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Did it to my 97 DOHC neon and thought it was worth it, very time consuming but I'd probably do it to my SRT also but just the way its built it'll be very hard to go in and do it by hand. If i find a place that will like sand blast it then i might think about it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've done a couple 8s and a 6. All N/A. I'll tell you write now, get it paste exruded/hoaned and flowed. That is the best way, spare no expense on this. NO SHORT CUTS. Now, the IM is another thing. Wait a little bit and I'm sure someone will make a CNC one. Or you could take it off and deburr it with little to no difficulty. Don't worry about it being to smooth it's F/I and don't take it completely off the engine to work on it. It is not worth the chance destroying the oil rings and the turbo.

And as far as is it worth it......HELL YA!

-James

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm learning on making carbon fiber items and so if i get time i'll make different things. i'm wondering though can i use it to make the intake manifold. I thought the heat would be to much for it but i've seen pics with other cars that have the IM all carbon. I plan on doing a whole hood but thats a whole other topic :p

·
Registered
109 Posts
Carbon fiber has been used to make intakes. Many intakes today are plastic because of the lightweight and inherent smoothness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Porting and polishing is great, but there are many things you should do to a turbo car way befor you ever need to worry about porting and polishing. Also porting is a science. just because you made things bigger you might have actually made flow worse.

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ombomb said:
Porting and polishing is great, but there are many things you should do to a turbo car way befor you ever need to worry about porting and polishing. Also porting is a science. just because you made things bigger you might have actually made flow worse.
I have plenty of experience porting 8 cylinder heads (Mustangs) and I know other mods normally come first, but like I said, I didn't know how a 4 cylinder head would respond. I totally agree, it's the quality of the porting not the quantity.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I had simple mods on my 4cyl chrystler conquest. I ported the head and the clutch started slipping afterwards. It makes a huge differenca on a turbo car.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Second Chance said:
I'm learning on making carbon fiber items and so if i get time i'll make different things. i'm wondering though can i use it to make the intake manifold. I thought the heat would be to much for it but i've seen pics with other cars that have the IM all carbon. I plan on doing a whole hood but thats a whole other topic :p
I know the intake manifold on my Hemi and Dakota are not metal but some type of poly carbon material. Intesting materials since the heat that is generated by the truck is enormous.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
if you want good work and advice regarding SRT4's contact www.phatridz.com :wink: :twisted:

if you doubt their reputation look here:
http://www.phatridz.com/index.php?pages=about

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
NeonDan
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing