Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i shift into 3rd, sometimes it grinds and pops right back into neutral. it seems to happen when i down shift into 3rd and when i wind out 2nd and i shift up. i have to give it the just right amount of gas to get it not to grind and pop back out. the clutch is in all the way when i shift, i was wondering what the problem may be. i have a mopar short shifter also.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
when i shift into 3rd, sometimes it grinds and pops right back into neutral. it seems to happen when i down shift into 3rd and when i wind out 2nd and i shift up. i have to give it the just right amount of gas to get it not to grind and pop back out. the clutch is in all the way when i shift, i was wondering what the problem may be. i have a mopar short shifter also.
Join the club bro. That's a common issue w/ these cars. Some things you can try to eleviate it are adjusting things like the clutch pedal or the cross over cable. I found that by rotating the cheesy plastic bushing on the clutch pivot gave me improved shift feel. I ordered an MPx clutch pivot assembly to replace the garbage OEM plastic piece. Beyond all that you'd be lookin' at replacing a worn TOF and syncros.

Edit:
Also PWERKS makes a 3rd gear shifter extender. That will be next on my list of things to try myself.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Join the club bro. That's a common issue w/ these cars. Some things you can try to eleviate it are adjusting things like the clutch pedal or the cross over cable. I found that by rotating the cheesy plastic bushing on the clutch pivot gave me improved shift feel. I ordered an MPx clutch pivot assembly to replace the garbage OEM plastic piece. Beyond all that you'd be lookin' at replacing a worn TOF and syncros.

Edit:
Also PWERKS makes a 3rd gear shifter extender. That will be next on my list of things to try myself.
Has anyone used that shift extender before? Ive seen a bunch of people saying they are going to buy it and Id like to know how it works before I drop 100 bucks!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Has anyone used that shift extender before? Ive seen a bunch of people saying they are going to buy it and Id like to know how it works before I drop 100 bucks!
Me too. Waiting for some reviews and maybe a how-to to get a better idea of whats all involved w/ installation. Also hoping for a price redux.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
My car only has shifting problems when it's below 32 degrees or so. . . . When it warms up, it's a lot smoother. However, I've never had the popping out of gear, or anything like that. My car has 31,000 miles on it (2004). I do take care of my car, so hopefully this won't be an issue in the future.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
My car only has shifting problems when it's below 32 degrees or so. . . . When it warms up, it's a lot smoother. However, I've never had the popping out of gear, or anything like that. My car has 31,000 miles on it (2004). I do take care of my car, so hopefully this won't be an issue in the future.
time to change the fluid.

·
Banned
781 Posts
it works. it will completely eliminate the pop out. might not fix the grind though if your 3rd is bad...stop using it immediately. You'll end up breaking shift selectors

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
it works. it will completely eliminate the pop out. might not fix the grind though if your 3rd is bad...stop using it immediately. You'll end up breaking shift selectors
So if I buy it and it doesnt work will you refund my money:rofl: If you say it works I may have to try it out...Im sick of having to pass on highway races simply because I dont have my highway gear:eveilgrin

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
i have the same issues i just dont downshift into 3rd anymore.. i just slow down enough to go from fourth to second then second to third and im ok LOL

damn dodge trans.. ill rebuild it one of these days...

·
Banned
781 Posts
So if I buy it and it doesnt work will you refund my money:rofl: If you say it works I may have to try it out...Im sick of having to pass on highway races simply because I dont have my highway gear:eveilgrin
you dont need 3rd for the highway. 4th is all i use and i still win races...then again i got a 60trim setup. beat the new camaro ss downshifting to 4th

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
you dont need 3rd for the highway. 4th is all i use and i still win races...then again i got a 60trim setup. beat the new camaro ss downshifting to 4th
haha Thats what I had been doing....but even with a tiny little TD04, 18psi at under 2500rpm is torture on a stock clutch! :rofl: I did however go from about a 30 roll against a WRX, I still beat it going from 2nd to 4th. He was all pissed off because he thought I was trying to be cocky and make fun of him for being slow:gay:

·
Registered
896 Posts
these trannys SUCK, build it or go auto! 3rd gear has been a problem for anyone making over 100whp in these cars :)

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
It could be a host of problems, but I would guess 3/4 synchro problem.
Could be that or a bent shift fork. I had exactly those symptoms, and for me it was the fork.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah you should stop using 3rd i know its hard cause its a great gear to push but my syncs were bad and i had the same problem of it popping out and now i am actually looking for a new tranny cause i down shifted into third and it warped my whole short shifter so if anyone has a trans there lookin to sell pm me

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
yeah you should stop using 3rd i know its hard cause its a great gear to push but my syncs were bad and i had the same problem of it popping out and now i am actually looking for a new tranny cause i down shifted into third and it warped my whole short shifter so if anyone has a trans there lookin to sell pm me
?:shift:

·
Registered
201 Posts
mine does the sam thing but i found out that if i down shift to third, if i rev it up before releasing the clutch it doesnt pop out, not high just like 3000 but mine dont grind (yet) or pop out if i go 2 to 3rd

1 - 20 of 36 Posts