Dodge SRT Forum banner

When I shift into 3rd gear

• Total voters
541 - 560 of 588 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sad to hear about e1s issue with 3rd. My issue is mild compared to some of what I'm hearing. I have an 04. Bought it with 107k miles back in jan 09 for 7300. Reason why I bought it was I noticed it shifted very smooth compared to some 10 others I had test driven. But after awhile I noticed it sometimes popping out of 3rd sometimes. I've even gotten in the habit of shifting to 3rd , take my hand off the shift knob, then let out the clutch. So if it popps out, it won't grind. It will just pop out . Then I noticed it depends on how the engine is running. I just ordered mpx heavier shift knob wondering if it is going to help or not. I got it but hesitant to install. It hasn't been popping out of 3rd alot lately. Im thinking the heavier weight knob might help. Is there a fix for 3rd popping out? I read the pivot fork goes bad on our clutch system and recommended to replace when replacing clutch. I believe I read it may have something to do w gears popping out of 3rd. Said pivot forks go bad pretty fast. If somebody knows something.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
I did a search on "third gear fix" and found some threads on 1 company called "pworks". Anyways the company makes a "3rd gear extender". For about 150, but sounds like a major transmission job to have it installed.
First thing it said was to get the booger bushings, and we just inspected and replaced 1 of mine and it seems to be doing much better now. 1 of my bushings was cracked real bad, and was easy to remove just using your finger it fell out.
The other 3 bushings looked fine so we left those alone. And we installed the MPx shift knob, feels pretty good.

·
Registered
182 Posts
3rd grind

my 05 has 60,000 on it and it always just about grinds in 3rd or is hard as hell to get into it i was told its the sycronisers but im not sure do yall know for sure what it is cuz i really wanna get it fixed but i heard u have to take the whole tranny out and its about a grand for labor..i cant really afford that but i need to get this fixed...i live in san antonio texas anyone know where i can go and get this fixed for a good price and the right way the first time..thanks SrtRuss:crying:

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
my tranny has over 85,000 miles on it, all stock, bought the car with 70,000 miles, ever since i bought it i can up shift into 3rd but can never down shift if my life depended on it, now if i slow down enough and down shift into 2nd then up shift into 3rd it will, what could this be???? need to fix asap, car will be making 550 plus hp in the next month or so....

·
Registered
223 Posts
i cant down shift into 3rd from 4th under high rpms and i just baought this trans from map its a stage 1 werks

·
Premium Member, SRT of the Month
3,602 Posts
i cant down shift into 3rd from 4th under high rpms and i just baought this trans from map its a stage 1 werks
It's the synchronizer and perhaps the third gear itself depending on how bad the dog teeth are on the blocker rings as well as the gear

·
3,602 Posts
If you're having trouble in third it's 99.9% of the time the synchro, snap ring, and gear! all three of those must be replaced to totally remedy the problem. The other .1 percent of the time it's the crossover cable adjustment. Pwerks third gear extender only buys you time but DOES NOT FIX the underlying problem that WILL RETURN eventually.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you're having trouble in third it's 99.9% of the time the synchro, snap ring, and gear! all three of those must be replaced to totally remedy the problem. The other .1 percent of the time it's the crossover cable adjustment. Pwerks third gear extender only buys you time but DOES NOT FIX the underlying problem that WILL RETURN eventually.
so is this ther mistake? should i give them a call? or what should i do to fix my problem? and thanks

·
3,602 Posts
If you just got it...and it's a newly rebuilt stage 1 tranny and it started doing this immediately then yeah I don't see how anyone could even determine that the company you got it from is no liable.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you just got it...and it's a newly rebuilt stage 1 tranny and it started doing this immediately then yeah I don't see how anyone could even determine that the company you got it from is no liable.
i recently got my srt4.BTW I love this car.What tranny fluid should i put in it.I already flushed out the oil n anti freeze.but im not sure what should put for the tranny?

another thing,on my last oil change i put full sythetic 10w 30.I was thinking about switching to royal purple for my next oil change and transmssion fluid change.what is the the right type of royal purple for both?thx

·
3,602 Posts
Royal Purple Synchromax it'll take about 2.5 quarts so get 3 of them. You don't need friction modifier.

As for the royal purple motor oil run xpr 5w-20

You'll be good to go!

·
3,602 Posts
just not needed...differential is clutchless...and i can tell you from thousands of miles of personal experience and running the same fluids in my car that it doesn't have a problem whatsoever...now i'm just saying this to save you a few bucks, if you want to add friction modifier it wont hurt anything so feel free to if it makes you feel better.

A word of advice if you add the friction modifier - it's very thick and most transmission funnels have a screen filter that the oil has to pass through before it travels down the tube. Unless you punch out this filter your better off to dump the friction modifier into one of the quarts of oil and shake it to mix it up/think it out first.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Right..well my mechanic adjusted my clutch pedal and it turns out it wasn't engaging fully
Now with it adjusted I can down shift into 3rd from 4th ( a new problem has accured ) evrytime I hit the gas a get a bad squeeking sound coming from the front.
This squeking sound does not happen in reverse or in nutruel when I rev only when I'm in gear and apply gas

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
just not needed...differential is clutchless...and i can tell you from thousands of miles of personal experience and running the same fluids in my car that it doesn't have a problem whatsoever...now i'm just saying this to save you a few bucks, if you want to add friction modifier it wont hurt anything so feel free to if it makes you feel better.

A word of advice if you add the friction modifier - it's very thick and most transmission funnels have a screen filter that the oil has to pass through before it travels down the tube. Unless you punch out this filter your better off to dump the friction modifier into one of the quarts of oil and shake it to mix it up/think it out first.
You may want to tell Chrysler that their Limited Slip Diff is clutchless lol.........
I'll continue to install modifier like stated in the official repair manual.

·
3,602 Posts
Whatever floats your boat

Like I said - at this point it's really personal preference.

Friction modifier has been debated over time and time again on here. People that run it - no problems. People that don't run it - no problems.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Just seems odd? what other "limited slip" diff does not have clutches? I may just have to crack into the spare one I got layin around to look. (one day I am bored)

541 - 560 of 588 Posts