Dodge SRT Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
THIS IS NO LONGER VALID. PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FOR UPDATED INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS.

When purchasing from our website, please state on the order comments that this is for an SRT-4. This way I will send you some stud extenders, so you don't have to make custom brackets etc for the stock pod.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
man I wish I knew that when I ordered. I customized the boost gauge that I ordered a long time ago but didnt have the patience with the wideband I just ordered. So I just cut half the screws off and put tape around the outside of the gauge for a nice snug fit. Ghetto mods FTW

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VEI came up with the idea of the simple stud extenders when they heard that SRT4s needed custom brackets cause of the pod length. If anyone needs some they'll send it out to you at no charge or I may have extras. I also think you should be able to find them at home depot or such. Probably called threaded couplers (thread size is 6-32)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really. First I've heard of this, but I'm not clear on what the problem is. I'm sure I can get VEI to work out a better solution for the SRT4 if you can make it a bit clearer or take some photos and measurements.

·
Premium Member
6,496 Posts
Please send some extenders are more nuts out to me! When I spoke with the guy on the phone, he said he would include them but there was no such thing in the box. (So I saw.)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just replied to your PM also. I just checked my records and I don't think you purchased your gauge from us. But don't worry ... I'll send you a set anyway. :thumbsup:

btw, when installing it would be nice if you could take a couple photos and measurements so I know exactly what is happening there. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,496 Posts
Ah dude thanks! I thought you were THE VEI gauge people. I ordered straight from them. I'm sorry. I can send some money your way if you wish. Not trying to scam you out of anything! lol....

I'll be sure to take measurements. What exactly are you looking for? People having problems???

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When VEI first heard of this issue (only on SRT4's apparently), they thought it was just the length of the stud was different (because the OEM gauge is deeper) and the person they dealt with at that time said it solved the problem. Since then, they supply it to anyone who needs it at no charge (therefore I don't charge for it). It's really a PCB-standoff that they use for some electronics, but works well for this purpose.

A few posts up from this pphilps mentions that other modifications but I'm unclear on what that is. If I could see what the existing arrangement is like (with some measurements of the areas that are different), I can work out something better.

Thanks,
Vic

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Well I took this picture with my camera phone (all I have with me right now). But I just received mine today, and the studs do not line up with the holes in the pod...the circles show where the holes are and as you can see the studs don't line up. I dont have a dremel so I'm not real sure how I'm gonna modify it:stab:

Shot with LSI_VGA at 2007-07-11

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The black material that the ends of the studs are touching, is it metal or plastic? And is the gauge seated all the way on the pod in this pic?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you can cut the studs you can do this...

a dremel would be easiest but a hacksaw works well. Make sure you cover the holes in the back of the gauge with tape before cutting them. Any metal particles can damage the electroincs.

If not, then try something like this. You would need to cut the arms of the clamp.

I can't see exactly what's in there, but if this does not work, let me know why and I'll see what else we can come up with.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I finally decided to just install it in my dual pillar gauge pod, which works just as well. The first diagram would work that you drew up but there is still the problem of the studs not being far enough apart

Shot with LSI_VGA at 2007-07-11

I think you could probably drill the hole out, enough to where you can use the stud extenders but you would have to make a bracket like in the second diagram you drew.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was suggesting that the holes be re-drilled just enough for the 6-32 screw to go through. The bracket in the second drawing was just the bracket it came with but cut down.
I am now thinking that a barrel nut could work and would be simplest but I don't know where to find that in 6-32 size.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Oh ok I see what you were talking about, probably not that difficult to do I just didn't really have anything to cut the studs with at the time. But it is a great gauge and is far more accurate then my previous gauge. Before I was boosting on my old gauge 20 psi, but after installing this gauge I was only actually boosting 18 psi...I had a cheap glowshift gauge before :buah:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.