Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,746 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I see the ring gear for $325 but not the pinion which probably also needs replacing.
I could be wrong, but always thought those two components are best installed as a matched set.

Ring and Pinion install may involve shims, dial gauge and blue marker etc to install correctly so it's quiet and lasts.

Just because its a FWD doesn't alter the fact that it's still a ring and pinion just like a RWD.

When my 03 was upgraded to LSD, the whole thing, including ring and pinion and LSD, came as a unit.
It wasn't cheap, about $1100 in 2003, but I see MP now has it discounted for $750.
Mine was probably all setup by Quaife which is probably why it has lasted and is still is relatively quiet after 125k miles.

Anyway, good luck!

ps you may have other issues that caused the ring gear damage...so it may be wise to check further.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thanks for the advice guys. My friend rebuilt a few gears and put new bearings and shift forks, I hope to god that the internals are ok . there was a lot of metal in the diff housing with the magnet if you look at my pic you'll see it, I pulled out what looked like a c clip off a bearing and it got chewed up. the lsd its self is fine so the gear runs $324 off modern performance from what you guys have told me. might have an easy lsd fix , but the input shaft might have taken a hit too if that's the case im not in a position to fix it further because parts are ridiculous for these cars. But im glad I looked because this would have came back and haunted me later if I didn't.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well removed the gears doesn't look as bad as all the metal shavings and chipped teeth on the gears are . Turns out a couple chipped lsd teeth . But those can be welded mild steel no issues there. The main shaft I think it's called if possibly weldable but time will tell , I'm gonna try to fix it .

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ HybridKid

I would replace it if was like $200 or so but not $1300 . that crazy, yeah you can weld mild steel its not that hard its just a gamble i am willing to take. think of it this way .

ive had machine shops weld crankshafts its the same concept . i just need it to drive for now then later buy a pwerks tranny or a dcr one.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Transaxle = front wheel drive transmission and differential assembly combined into one unit.

I'd also suggest finding a used trans or parts to rebuild. There's a good chance the parts are heat treated and if the welding came apart might take out the rest of the internals.

If you have no other option and it's essentially free, maybe it's worth a shot, but if you're spending a lot of money on bearings and seals at a bare minimum for a partial rebuild you'd have to have a extremely experienced welder and machine show that can check the surface hardening and material used by the factory components and then they'd have to be able to machine it perfectly afterwards for proper gear mesh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
blackbird_R/T
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing