Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching youtube and doing a lot of reading about a DIY paint job. I have access to a paint booth. I bought a HVLP paint gun.

There are lots of videos and articles but many make it sound too easy. I don't want to end up with a crappy job that I will want to redo in a year or two.

Unfortunately my car is red, which probably won't be very forgiving.

I'm looking for tips, or links to useful information. There is a ton of it out there, but I'm hoping some of you have found useful resources.

I should have all the tools I need (air comp, DA sander, paint guns, tape, etc). Any recommendations on good paint, primer, clear, etc? My car doesn't need any body work, other than some rocker repair, so that helps. I'm going to buy 80 grit, 220 grit, 600 grit and 1000 grit to wet sand. I have compound and polish and a DA polisher.

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
body work is one of those things i've never tried, but would like to learn. I'm interested in how this turns out for you. Please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What color are you going to go with. I painted my dash and other interior panels with pb5 eblue and it turned out great. I think it cost about $100 for a pint of base coat eblue, pretty expensive. Just make sure you get a good primer coat with high quality primer and then spray a thick base coat So you don’t get bubbles in the paint from to much sun beating down on it. and then Spray the clear and it should turn out great. the clear makes it pop so maybe get an expensive clear. It was my first time painting so I asked a lotta questions at the paint store the guy was happy to answer my questions. it was about 7 out of 10 in difficulty I would say because it’s time consuming sanding and all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts