Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those really desiring an LSD, here is a happy compromise. The Phantom Grip. I'm sure some of you have heard of it before or may even know someone using one. Jeff Balls Neon runs one with much success. Anyone thought of this for thier SRT-4? Much cheaper than a LSD. Some say it doesn't work as good as it should but if you look at the ones that say it works good, they are using it and running the numbers like Jeff, the majority that say it's junk aren't running thier cars, just thier mouths.

http://www.phantomgrip.com/
http://www.scecnet.net/~neonneon/neon/gripinstall.html

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
dragomni said:
For those really desiring an LSD, here is a happy compromise. The Phantom Grip. I'm sure some of you have heard of it before or may even know someone using one. Jeff Balls Neon runs one with much success. Anyone thought of this for thier SRT-4? Much cheaper than a LSD. Some say it doesn't work as good as it should but if you look at the ones that say it works good, they are using it and running the numbers like Jeff, the majority that say it's junk aren't running thier cars, just thier mouths.

http://www.phantomgrip.com/
http://www.scecnet.net/~neonneon/neon/gripinstall.html
According to the Suzuki forum, I believe someone already aknowledged that the unit was not worth the $$$$$.

However, it would be interesting to see someone try it on the SRT-4. To see if they come to the same conclusions.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I know some guys are having good luck with it, including some rally and racing teams. Me, I am going to spend the cash on a Quaife, as I don't think the PG will hold up to the amount of power I am going to put through it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Not to piss on anyones day but this is what happened to our phantom grip and diff pin that was welded in.

The diff pin came out and blew a hole in the side of our tranny. Now for some background. This is a 91 Saturn with a 93 engine, stock. It was running a 70 shot that was activated at the top of 2nd gear. This blew on the second run. We had great luck with a welded diff but decided to try something else. Now I am not sure how your trannys work so all I can say is ours went boooom.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a diff pin come out of my 555 in my Daytona Shelby also, had nothing to do with Phantom Grip. The roll pin that holds the diff pin in place was broken, it was moving around the slightest bit and one time, it snagged and bam, thru the side of the trans. I have been told by members of the SD community that too many one wheel wonders under it's belt is the cause for this sort of ordeal.

Here's another site with the same deal, check out the fix at the bottom:
http://www.turbovan.net/Trans3.html

·
Registered
449 Posts
Re: DifferentRacing

Seems like to me that how well a Phantom grip works depends on the transmission. They work pretty well in Neon transmissions, the diff pin failure is unrelated to the Phantom grip. I guess we will see if they work in SRT transmissions.

Here are the diff pin plates that work in both the manual and auto Neon transmissions.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am almost sure that the plastic gear only drives the speed sensor gear, so there is very little load on it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You guys are correct the diff pin and the actual phantom grip are two separate items. The only thing is that PH said that the pin that they sent us would eliminate this problem. As you can see, it really didn’t. Your guy’s transmissions are different than the Saturn ones. I hope to see more of you guys out on the track. :D

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have never heard of a problem of the PG causing diff pin failure like your decribing in the Neons. With the PG installed and the Pin Welded or the retainers showed above used will make sure the pin doesnt pop out of the Diff. But you could have excessive Diff Pin wear but it takes alot of power and alot of Wheel spinning to do that as Ive only seen a couple where they wore like that. If you have the $$$ a Quaffe would be the way to go when they make it for the SRT. If not the PG works quite well.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well this is only a Saturn, but with all of the bolt ons that we got plus the 70 shot, those tires spin all the way through 3rd. The pin was brand new and like I said it only lasted 1.5 runs. The welded lasted us 15 and counting. But boost and No2 are different animals. Boost builds but when we hit that go button, man it is like some just rear ended it. I will have to put the video up of the [email protected] run. We would like to get the money together to put a Quaffe in or at least someway of holding the pin in. Just thought that I would share the knowledge that we have gathered, breaking everything we can. I guess you could say that we are lucky. This car is our racecar so if it breaks we still can go to work.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Did your pin break or just pop out of the Differential? if it broke dont know what to tell ya there.. if it pops out.. take a look at that one pic above.. do you see the Tab that is installed. maybe see if your diff has the ability to use these style tabs and if so make up or install a set that would stop the pop out problem..

·
Registered
884 Posts
No it broke the welds and popped out. Our diff is different. There are not bolts with nuts, they use this metal bung thing.

:cry:

P.S.

I test drove an SRT-4 the other day. Man those things are a blast. Happy motoring.

·
Banned
750 Posts
175srt05 said:
Can I get this for my 05? :cow:

*waits for a ridiculous response*

:lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts