Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot wait to see the performance numbers.
If Dodge is able to hit their targets, this car will
be a serious contender for the Z06 to deal with.

E

·
0 Posts
The Viper SRT-10 should blow the Z06 out of the water.

It currently does with less horsepower and torque :) (less horsepower and torque then the SRT-10 is slated to have, that is)

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to be clear, I was not trying to push the
idea that the Z06 was better than the Viper.
Making the reference that the Z06 is going to
have to work -really- hard to compete now!

Although competition is healthy for all of us.
We end up with some serious powerhouses!

E

·
0 Posts
I agree, I'm definetly not a brand bigot.. I love all cars :)

However, the Viper (at least as far as acceleration, power, etc) is concerned blows the Z06 out of the water even in its current state. The SRT-10 will be even more of a performance beast, so that margin will only increase.

Until the Z06 comes in the 450hp range, I think it will remain in second place :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, the Viper should kick some arse BUT I bet this matchup will be closer than we think... the new Viper has such freakin' large wheels and tires compared to the Z06- that's a ton of rotational inertia to get movin' ...

Check it:

Z06http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/features.htm
HP: 405 SAE net @ 6000
Torque: 400 lb-ft @ 4800

HP/Weight Ratio: 7.73 lb/HP

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar Non-Extended Mobility
front: P265/40ZR-17
rear: P295/35ZR-18

Weight: 3130 lbs
Drag Coefficient: 0.31

Viperhttp://media.daimlerchrysler.com/
HP: 500 SAE net @ 5600
:twisted: Torque: 525 lb-ft @ 4200 :twisted:

HP/Weight Ratio: 6.76 lb/HP

Michelin Pilot Sport ZP
front: P275/35ZR-18
rear: P345/30ZR-19

Weight: 3380 lbs
Drag Coefficient: 0.40

What do you guys think about this issue?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TireRack.com has some 345/30 19" tires for $388.
Man, it takes more than my income just to be able
to do routine Viper maintenance. :)

The Z06 is a very refined car, but if you look at the
names of the websites I host, that is not my game.
I prefer the 427 Cobra-like style of the Viper.

Brute force torque, baby! :twisted:

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Too much chrome for my tastes, but a sweet
motor none the less. Is that tunnel ram? :)

I wonder when the 5.7 Hemi will make crate
form, and how much Mopar is going to ask.
I imagine it will be a highly used crate motor.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
the new viper should pull 11.7 ish stock at 0ft, but I realy dont like the looks of the new viper (but I dont like the looks of the old RT-10 eather). For now I will stick with my 2000 GTS, but when and if the STR coop ever comes out maby...

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Ps as for the tires, I am running

295/35R18's ft (vs 275/35R18's stock)
and 345/35R18's rear (vs 335/30R18's stock)

on my stock ACR wheels on my viper, the rears are much taller then the stock tires 27.4" vs 25.9" thy did slow me down a bit, but thy look cool:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Personally I like the looks of the new Viper. Especially the head lights. They did such a good job on the last design, it's hard to improve upon. I'm just glad that they didn't destroy its tough, sleek, fast, brutally powerful reputation. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am with Matt, the GTS was a great looking car.
The new models remind me of the Honda S2000.
I guess I will get use to the new models though.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I remember hearing that the SRT-10 design was penned in large part by the designer of the current Toyota Camry (gag). Talk about a big departure. However, I really like the SRT-10 design. Also it looks much better in person. The huge wheels (and rotors) with the low stance are just killer.

P. Diddly

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
thehemi said:
I am with Matt, the GTS was a great looking car.
The new models remind me of the Honda S2000.
I guess I will get use to the new models though.
HA!! I knew I wasn't the only one who saw that. By the way the guy that drew up the new viper is the same guy who drew up the 88 camry :D Maybe he had something to do with both??

·
Registered
933 Posts
01svtcobra said:
HA!! I knew I wasn't the only one who saw that. By the way the guy that drew up the new viper is the same guy who drew up the 88 camry :D Maybe he had something to do with both??
We're both wrong. Oops.

"Osamu Shikado, the 47-year-old design manager of DaimlerChrysler’s Advance Packaging Studio, penned the new car. Shikado spent 14 years at Toyota in Japan before coming to Chrysler in 1994. Among his design credits are the 1983 Toyota Corolla, the 1990 Toyota Camry, the 1998 Chrysler Chronos concept and the 1999 Chrysler Citadel concept."

The following article is fairly relevant to the topic. They discuss the differences between the two cars and how the new design doesn't "grab people" like the old design did.
Autolink Article

Still I love the new design.

P. Diddly

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
00REI00 said:
We're both wrong. Oops.

"Osamu Shikado, the 47-year-old design manager of DaimlerChrysler’s Advance Packaging Studio, penned the new car. Shikado spent 14 years at Toyota in Japan before coming to Chrysler in 1994. Among his design credits are the 1983 Toyota Corolla, the 1990 Toyota Camry, the 1998 Chrysler Chronos concept and the 1999 Chrysler Citadel concept."

The following article is fairly relevant to the topic. They discuss the differences between the two cars and how the new design doesn't "grab people" like the old design did.
Autolink Article

Still I love the new design.

P. Diddly
Damn I was hoping Shikado had something to do with the s2000 because the similarities are pretty amazing. Maybe he's friends with the guy who drew up the s2000 :D If you see the new viper in person it's design is very grabby! You just have to look more into the details of the car for a better impression. It looks more sophisticated than the old design. Maybe that's why some people don't like it as much since it's not as raw. I think they could have made the hood a little more curvy like the previous model. The current hood is relatively flat. Maybe a higher fender line or something. A revised scoop perhaps?? The reverse outlets on the side are pretty amazing in person and so is the rear bumper. You can see through the opening on the bottom when your following the car and see the axles turn. You can also see the rear diff. Not to mention the diffusers under the bumper. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Remember the Viper GTS is not out yet and do expect a PVO version with the latest engine change.

Z06 latest attempt in 05 will not even be close to the next Viper GTS. The King of the Hill will not be undone by GM or Ford. It will also embarrase the GT-(40) buyers when they could of had a performer vice 'all talk'.

However, you cannot compare a ragtop with a coupe. You have to have both ragtops together.

Another item, post the gearing and you find some difference in mild and wild with performance numbers. Maybe that is why the Vette is cannot go 191MPH (electronic limited due to ragtop design).

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
This is one of Buzz's DCx insiders (www.car-truck.com): MR SOURCE

Mr.Source Posted: Aug 22 2003, 06:46 PM

A new Viper is already on the works, you may have again the great pleasure to see the Viper racing at Lemans and other super races and tracks arround the world, then we might see ORECA TESTING some wonderful things, that they might see the light in the next Viper.

Chrysler is not willing to let go so easly Vipers crown ;)
NO FEAR FOR LUTZ or SHELBY, Fernandez is a TOUGH guy ! :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Mr.Source on Aug 22 2003, 06:50 PM

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Just add what amount performance currently being tested....

sleeper Posted: Aug 22 2003, 04:15 PM

QUOTE (keitho @ Aug 22 2003, 05:33 AM) 700HP
QUOTE (davey @ Aug 22 2003, 09:08 AM) 700HP ? Dream on.... DC wants MB to be the horsepower king and they are with the AMG versions..your wrong

Sleeper remarks: dead wrong

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
15 Participants
hemidakota
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing