Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! First, I'd like to let everyone know that I do not currently have a NSRT-4, and this just a question for the future when I get one (I sound like a noob, but bear with me) and start modifying it. I want to take in as much knowledge about modifying SRT-4's so I can safely do the mods when the time comes.

So, my #1 question is regarding modding NSRT-4's is the overboost codes and fuel cut when overboost happens. Lets say that I'd be running a stock PCM, but wanted to run roughly 20psi of boost as a good start, maybe more in the future, like 25psi. I know that I'd need a wideband O2 sensor, 3 band MAP and TIP sensors and such, supporting fuel mods, etc. to get it to be safe for the motor. What could I do to prevent throwing overboost codes and triggering fuel cut, without using something potentially dangerous like a MAP clamp. I've read about the different stages of PCM you can get, but that must have been ages ago because i can't find staged PCMs for sale anywhere now lol. I've also read about DiabloSport being able to stop the overboost codes, but I'd love to have something more tunable. (I know it can be dangerous since I'm not experienced. It would be more for convenience of tuners at a dyno and such, plus so i can learn more about in-depth tuning and have the capabilities to tune the car when i become a lot more experienced) I've read a few things about HPtuners that seem to check the boxes, but I want to know what people have done/modified in the past to prevent these overboost codes and fuel cut. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Cheers! :)

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Overboost and/or fuel cut are desired features of the stock PCM tuning to aid in saving the life of the motor in situations which might be unfavorable for it. This is typically due to the 2.25 bar map/tip sensor which cannot read boost pressure above ~18psi. You seem to be on the right path in your research to know already that you would need 3 bar sensors. Once the PCM is rescaled by a tuner to run the higher sensors, the PCM can now read up to ~29psi and can adjust boost and timing. The stage 2 and 3 PCMs came with 3bar sensors, so this wasnt a concern for them. With the advances of tuners (diablosport or HPtuners) there really is no longer a need in having a staged PCM or a map clamp...(Please for the love of god dont even consider a map clamp. We are so far beyond that technology!)

I have no experience with HPtuners, so i cannot comment on its functionality.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Overboost and/or fuel cut are desired features of the stock PCM tuning to aid in saving the life of the motor in situations which might be unfavorable for it. This is typically due to the 2.25 bar map/tip sensor which cannot read boost pressure above ~18psi. You seem to be on the right path in your research to know already that you would need 3 bar sensors. Once the PCM is rescaled by a tuner to run the higher sensors, the PCM can now read up to ~29psi and can adjust boost and timing. The stage 2 and 3 PCMs came with 3bar sensors, so this wasnt a concern for them. With the advances of tuners (diablosport or HPtuners) there really is no longer a need in having a staged PCM or a map clamp...(Please for the love of god dont even consider a map clamp. We are so far beyond that technology!)

I have no experience with HPtuners, so i cannot comment on its functionality.
Oh ok, that makes perfect sense. So, how would you go about getting the PCM rescaled? Would you have to get a custom tune for Diablosport for the rescaling or is there a different method?

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Oh ok, that makes perfect sense. So, how would you go about getting the PCM rescaled? Would you have to get a custom tune for Diablosport for the rescaling or is there a different method?
as far as i know, the only way to do it is to have someone with the proper software adjust the settings in the tune. So yes, a custom tune.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Anytime... that's what we're here for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts