Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
32,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep I decided to get a patent on the FPM mod. There has been a rash of people stealing others ideas and I have no intentions of someone taking my idea or design for this mod. The price will not change on them it is something that I think will be a big seller for the current srt-4 and even for the new Caliber SRT-4 (I already have the design done for that one also). The patent pending will be done at 9:00 AM tomorrow, thanks for supporting me guys.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
You should probably get your patent in about 3 years. That sucks doesn't it? I have one waiting in line at the patent & trademark office since late in 2004. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
good luck...every time i go to patent something somebody else comes out with something like it. i think it all boils down to alot of people have the same ideas and think alike....

i have a couple of patents pending right now. but i dont think they will do me much good anymore.

·
Banned
32,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Patent pending will stop the sales of products that are copies of mine or when the patent does go through you face finacial costs related to sales. Yes I know all about the wait process but with an attorney taking care of it you are only looking at 2 years max.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
ptperformance said:
Patent pending will stop the sales of products that are copies of mine or when the patent does go through you face finacial costs related to sales. Yes I know all about the wait process but with an attorney taking care of it you are only looking at 2 years max.

hmm not to burst your bubble but patenting car mods is a mother Fcker

first the money involved
the easyness of getting around the patent

your basicly trying to patent rasing Fuel pressure and i am sure someone in the BIG 3 has it covered already

but good luck to you

it be like trying ot patent a manual boost control or a waste gate or alot of aftermarket parts

·
Banned
32,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vector said:
hmm not to burst your bubble but patenting car mods is a mother Fcker

first the money involved
the easyness of getting around the patent

your basicly trying to patent rasing Fuel pressure and i am sure someone in the BIG 3 has it covered already

but good luck to you

it be like trying ot patent a manual boost control or a waste gate or alot of aftermarket parts
Yes it is, I have tried 11 times so far and with no luck. Money is $400 to start it, 15% change in design is all it takes to get around it. It is not rasing the fuel pressure it is "how you raise the fuel pressure" that is important to the patent office. If you can patent a self watering planter (pot with a dish on the bottom of it) I am sure that there are ways to get around it. I posted this to see what others felt and look at the responce that some of you have given so far. Are you all just a bunch of quiters (sp) that give up on your goals or are you a winner that wants more for yourself and your family.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
i just wanted to say what i said because your time and efforts and money may all be for not

i know a few major players in the mustang mod world and they have much more products time and money invested and they all are up that its a waste of time and money

they make alot more then we do here and just have told me time and time again dont bother someone will copy it and there istn a damn thing you can do about it but waste money in legafee's and cost for the patent

not that i dont think thats wrong just letting you know friend to friend

·
Banned
32,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vector said:
i just wanted to say what i said because your time and efforts and money may all be for not

i know a few major players in the mustang mod world and they have much more products time and money invested and they all are up that its a waste of time and money

they make alot more then we do here and just have told me time and time again dont bother someone will copy it and there istn a damn thing you can do about it but waste money in legafee's and cost for the patent

If I can not get a patent on it and someone does copy it all it takes is a plane ticket and some imagination to take care of the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Vector said:

I generally agree with this, although my business is not related to the automotive world. My patents involve high tech devices and hardware used in enterprise computer servers. My company patents lots of things but the patents really only protect you from other companies that play by the rules. We see lots of knock offs from Chinese companies and others that kinda do things in a shady manner.

Just my .02 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Its not a horrible Idea john.... and just like you said its not raising fuel pressure, but rather the way you raise fuel pressure that you can patent. Thats why they call it IP law :)

But yes the entire process is costly, slow, and many times not worth it in the end. You may be better off getting a more "gentleman's agreement" with other vendors so they dont take all your work after its been done and just copy it... And hey if someone does steal your ideas the planeticket + chuck norris round house kick to the face is always a good plan B.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
WhatsADSM said:
Its not a horrible Idea john.... and just like you said its not raising fuel pressure, but rather the way you raise fuel pressure that you can patent. Thats why they call it IP law :)

But yes the entire process is costly, slow, and many times not worth it in the end. You may be better off getting a more "gentleman's agreement" with other vendors so they dont take all your work after its been done and just copy it... And hey if someone does steal your ideas the planeticket + chuck norris round house kick to the face is always a good plan B.
unfortunatly there are no gentlemen where business is concerned.

I think the patent is a good idea, if only to say "don't screw with me" to other vendors if the idea is taken. Specially if this is the first FPR mod for the SRT-4.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
It will never accomplish what you want it to John, it will just waste your money, time, and R&D. Spend your time, money, and energy on making parts, and creating new ones. Just my thoughts.
Randy

·
Banned
32,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plans are getting plotted now and I will have the papers submitted later today or Monday (attorney is out of the office tomorrow). I know the process all to well but it can be worth it if you get the plans started and wait for it to go through. There is protection in that somewhat.

·
Banned
32,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Scapegoat said:
unfortunatly there are no gentlemen where business is concerned.

I think the patent is a good idea, if only to say "don't screw with me" to other vendors if the idea is taken. Specially if this is the first FPR mod for the SRT-4.
Great thing about it is, it will work on many other cars as well as the srt-4.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
ptperformance said:
Great thing about it is, it will work on many other cars as well as the srt-4.
That's excellent. But I wonder, has the idea been used, or sold before? If not, you've got a great entry point into other vehicle markets(you would anyway). Just have to get some of them damn local boys into the shop to test fit.

·
Banned
32,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Scapegoat said:
That's excellent. But I wonder, has the idea been used, or sold before? If not, you've got a great entry point into other vehicle markets(you would anyway). Just have to get some of them damn local boys into the shop to test fit.
Thats the whole idea. I all ready have the Caliber pump figured out as well and that mod will be simple to install with a pump at the same time ( pump has to come out of the tank. Great thing is they put an access hole under the rear seat to get to it, no need to drop the tank). This will also get a patent pending (next week) so I can keep that to myself as well. Fuel mods are a huge industry and if I can make a simple product that works well, I have to protect it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
ptperformance said:
Thats the whole idea. I all ready have the Caliber pump figured out as well and that mod will be simple to install with a pump at the same time ( pump has to come out of the tank. Great thing is they put an access hole under the rear seat to get to it, no need to drop the tank). This will also get a patent pending (next week) so I can keep that to myself as well. Fuel mods are a huge industry and if I can make a simple product that works well, I have to protect it.
I couldn't agree more. Best of luck John.

And I'm gonna keep drilling you cause I know you're busy and going to forget. You need help with that website, just let me know :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts