Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Parking brake issue w/ FIX

So I have been having issues with getting my parking brake to engage. So one day i woke up and said "im fixing this shit today." lol. So i did the how to on how to adjust the cable at the wheels by moving the star wheel inside the housing at each wheel. Didn't help at all. still had to slam the ebrake into the center counsel. notice it was starting to crack. So pull up and off the counsel and found a lot wrong. First the cables seem cocked so one side is prob seized up and the other all stretched out. also the hole assembly is lifting up, looks as if the tac welds gave away or what ever dodge used. Poor design on there part.

Before pic (not engaged)

After pic (ebrake engaged)

Like why they use a thin pcs of metal that has the ebrake about middle and bolted down at top and bottom with nothing inbetween.

Pic of cables while engaged

So my fix i was thinking of doing, was drill two or three holes through the floor of the car and install bolts or rivit... Then put some sort of a sealer to prevent rust.

Or make a HOLE new peice out of thick aluminum or titanium (prefer).

Whats your thoughts?

Also this ebrake rattles like a bitch... Its this tooth sprocket... can slide it back and forward.

Anyone have issues with this? Anyone know were I can pick up a after market ebrake?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So i took the car into my step dads work were he has lots of sheet metal and proper equipment to work with it. So here is step by steps on what i did to fix it...

gutted the hole interior. I roled up the carpet into the dash...

Then you get a big black newfoundland dog to stand in your car and get in your way..

I then took the ebrake off and detached it (2 13mm bolts). This gives you enough slack to set it aside or unhook it from the cable, your call... I then removed airbag module (3 10mm bolts... Didn't dosconnect harness just unbolted and set it off to the side. Disconnect battery before messing with this). Once the are was clear, I then drilled 6 holes through the plate and floor of the car.

I then took a peice of aluminum and put in 6 nut plates. Then painted it the hole plate to prevent from rust and protect it from the element. Then i pu in some bolts and washer and tightened them down.

finished product

Here is the other puppy, he just layed next to the car to supervise...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
my ebrake never works :( i should check my center console area as well. nice dog!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I havent seen nut plates anywhere besides my step dads work. They are fastened to aluminum by rivits... Step dad is a airplaine machanic. This is a very extreme way of fixing it. Its what I had available... Welding would work or just drill holes then use bolts with locking washers and nuts. Use some sort of compound around the holes when you put the bolt through.

·
Registered
247 Posts
interesting.. mine pulls all the way up and doesn't hold at all, brakes are fine, stars don't help, and when it did work I've never once used it for anything other than parking. Might have to check this out

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Sorry about the thread revival. I'm actually having this problem at the moment and was wondering if I could just use home depot nuts/bolts/ washers? Any suggestions on what to use to seal it up?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
+1
How do you keep the cables from being drunk?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I put in washers to to help the cables pull evenly.
I think I understand, you're talking about putting washers at the portion that disconnects from the ebrake?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have this exact same problem with my car. Yesterday I installed all new parking brake components - cables, shoes, hardware. When I was messing with the lever I discovered that the metal plate is separated from the floor. Has anyone just drilled through the floor and bolted it, or welded it? I would love to get this fixed right.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
I have this exact same problem with my car. Yesterday I installed all new parking brake components - cables, shoes, hardware. When I was messing with the lever I discovered that the metal plate is separated from the floor. Has anyone just drilled through the floor and bolted it, or welded it? I would love to get this fixed right.
Honestly, i would probably just bolt it down. Welding would be better, but i don't weld so....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts