Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI. I searched for parking brake and e brake and did not find any discussions. I would like to figure out how to make the parking brake worth using. I have checked for loose mounting of the handle. I have adjusted and it is a little better but the auto adjust loosens it back up.`There does not appear to be enough travel in the cable to securely hold the car in neutral (or even in gear on an incline). I am thinking of opening up the drum and see if I can remove the adjuster. Any suggestions? Thanks, Alan.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
have you tried adjusting the brake shoes at the rear wheels?

I dont think this is the exact right page of the service manual for this task but the process is basically the exact same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have adjusted but even with close adjustment, hold is not good enough.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Maybe the car needs new drums. I suppose they can wear out if it's seen enough e-brake 180s and burnouts.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Maybe the car needs new drums. I suppose they can wear out if it's seen enough e-brake 180s and burnouts.
more likely the shoes would be worn before the drums... and the drums are changed whenever the rear disks are changed. Hopefully with the age on these cars, this one isn't still running the original disks...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ugh...I meant to say shoes. Not the drums.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I adjusted the shoes and the parking brake drums on mine several years ago.
The parking brake holds on all but the steepest of hills (try California Street in San Francisco!).
So on those rare occasions, I also leave the transmission in first gear.
I have not done and I don't do 180's ever.

·
Administrator
39,187 Posts
the only other thing would be stretched cables not applying enough force on the shoes unless you preload them so much they drag too much with the handle down.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Bump of an oldie
Take it apart
Replace the shoes , they delaminate
Often the “H” is frozen, pb blaster and grease loosens it up
new they worked great

1 - 9 of 9 Posts