Dodge SRT Forum banner

paint job for srt-4

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Kyle 
#1 ·
Could anyone give me an estimate for how much it would probably cost for a full body paint job for the srt-4?

Thanks

#6 ·
All though it is a big ass wing, I think since it's included on the car when you purchase and they say it's functional, it's not ricey. Remember, Rice tries to give the appearance of "high performance" but doesn't actually increase the performance by any significant amount. Ok, you're right, it looks ricey.

#7 ·
Good paintjobs start at around $2000. If you want a color change add at least $500 to that. Why repaint a new car? Aftermarket paint will never stick as well as factory paint, and a repaint will always lower your resale value.

#8 ·
Kyle said:
Good paintjobs start at around $2000. If you want a color change add at least $500 to that. Why repaint a new car? Aftermarket paint will never stick as well as factory paint, and a repaint will always lower your resale value.
A GOOD complete paint job will be atleast $3000 if you want jambs and under hood done it will be much more.

Sorry a good aftermarket paint job will ALWAYS be better than a factory. The main reason is they sand between every coat, that smooths it out (gets rid of orange peel which 99.5% of factory cars have, in some degree or another) and it gives a profile for the next layer of color or clear to stick to. Since we are on a neon forum lets be honest most of our 1st Generation neons paint either fell off or is in the process of coming off, some little and some a lot.

What would make you think a new paint job would make your car worth less?

#9 ·
i think he was talking about a fresh car off the lot. and removing the factory paint and replacing will lower your resale value to the dealers. privately you might get more if someone likes the color a lot. why do you think old "classic" cars are worth more if they have the original GOOD QUALITY paint jobs? i don't know the exact reasons b/c i don't appraise cars, i just know that's the case.
And daytona, don't be such a prick. calling someone stupid, even if they are wrong, is immature and makes you look like a jackass when you turn out to be wrong yourself.

#10 ·
I assume you want a custom color, else why would you paint it, in other words alot. The guy that said $3k plus is right on the money.

#11 ·
Sorry Kyle, I really didn’t mean to come off as a jurk? Classic cars with original paint do raise the worth of a car, not because they are really any better but because they are very rare. I hope that helps? I have been it the painting field for about 14 years and have done many custom paints on cars mostly Mopar muscle cars. Not to boast that is just my experience in the area.

#12 ·
This forum is suppose to be friendly and informative. I don't think Daytona meant to insult Kyle. If Kyle takes exception to his remark, I guess they can handle the dispute through PM. I don't think, you calling Daytona a prick will solve anything except insight things more. He wasn't calling Kyle stupid. He said thinking that a new paint job would make your car worthless is just plain stupid. They are both talking about different things. Kyle is talking about why repaint a new car while Daytona is talking about the increased value of repainting an old car. It does seem like a waste to repaint a brand new car, but I guess if you have the cash to spend, go for it. If I had an older car and the paint was starting to fade or peel off, I would consider repainting it to increase its value. The only reason I posted this is because I thought the majority of people are adults here and you get farther treating each other with respect.

#13 ·
Grunge said:
This forum is suppose to be friendly and informative...(snip)
...I (think) the majority of people are adults here and you get farther treating each other with respect.
Well said, Grunge. I've been trying to impart the same sentiment throughout these pages. Cooperating together with mutual respect we'll all learn more/help each other more than if we're at each others' throats. Kudos to those that are able to say "I was wrong" or "I'm sorry"...you have my deepest respect.

#14 ·
okay. y'all are right. i just thought he was calling him stupid and didn't think it was right. it's hard to get true meanings with just reading words. so, i apologize for calling daytonagts a prick. moving on....

#19 ·
Back to the paint..

Ok, in an attempt to change the subject back to painting a car.. Although this car will have some level of collector status, I say if you want to do custom paint, Go for it, The truth is you could always repaint it back to the factory color 10 or so years from now.

I do agree with most of the earlier comments about not necessarily changing the paint, and the other comments about the cost involved.. But here is some general advice.... If you want to repaint the car, pick black or silver as a base paint. The silver could potentially be a good basecoat for a candy color, even black would look awesome under a candy tangerine topcoat, It would look black in low light, but have a wild orange luster when light reflects off it. Silver base under a candy brandywine would give it a deep red/purple color. Also, I'm anti-rice also, but You could take a silver car, or a black car as a base, do your graphics in paint on that base in dark greys, whites, blacks, with airbrush techniques or whatnot, keep the contrast between colors fairly close so its not an in-your face difference, and then put a candy topcoat of almost any color over it.. Alot classier than Vinyl graphics... And alot more subtle, it will make reselling the car easier. by choosing black, you might not necessarily have to repaint door jambs engine compartment, and every other visible nook and cranny on the car if you choose another color, you can do some creative blending to make it look like its "Supposed" to be that way. Back in the late 80's Everyone wanted their engine compartments black so the engine and details were what stood out.

http://www.bracketracing.com:82/features/ (Information)
http://bbs.overlord.net:82/userpics/malibu.jpg (AFTER)

Just so you don't think I've sold out to the GM gods, this car is painted CHRYSLER MINIVAN 2000 Sienna Pearlcoat! A 2 stage factory paint that looks just like a candy color.

and a good custom paint job will always be nicer than factory. You'd never get a mirror finish and good paint adhesion from a factory paint job.

Jack

Jack

#20 ·
Maybe I missed something or have a thick skin, but I was in no way insulted. I wasn't trying to flame, just asking why re-paint a new car.

I do know there are exceptions, (like for 1st gen Neon white, and lapis blue) but for the most part a factory (electrostaticly applied, baked on) paint job will stick better, and last longer than a re-paint. For most people a QUALITY re-paint isn't anything to worry about though because it will last longer than you will own the car.

If you want something original go ahead and paint it, just do some research to make sure you know what you are getting into. If you want graphics find someone who is experienced, and make sure they will warrantee the work. When you get into graphics your paint thickness goes up, so not many paint manufacturers will warrantee the paint, so you have to rely on your painter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.