Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a problem with the shop installing my custom exhaust. It's a very nice piece, except for the downpipe flange looks like it's not sitting flush due to the "ghetto rig" they did for not having a 4-bolt flange for the exhaust. I was driving yesterday and threw P0420-CATALYTIC 1/1 EFFICIENCY code. How will this affect my A/F ratios? Basically, will it be safe as long as I keep it out of boost? I don't really know how the O2 sensors read different with an exhaust leak that seems to have gotten big enough to throw this code. If it's bad enough I'll install the flange that I got from BDJ's today and have no flex section until I get the flex pipe from ED.

Edited to ask: Does anyone have the second O2 sensor after the cat without throwing a p0420?

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Get Stage 1 to rid yourself of the P0420 CEL. Other than the dash light there are no other ill affects to it.

·
Registered
19,512 Posts
Was the cat removed? Did they remove the 02 sensors before the work? 3 things can happen.... cat is bad (downstream reads the same as upstream 02 sensor) upstream 02 sensor is slow... thus showing the 2 o2 sensors to be reading the same... or 3... the downstream is wacked, and is TOO fast.. which doesn't happen... so it's really either an 02 sensor, or a cat. Assuming the leak isn't THAT bad.

I have seen 02 sensors damaged during the manhandling of the exhaust.

·
Banned
396 Posts
There is a "How to" to fix it. All you need is a sparkplug non-fouler. Drill out the non-fouler, put the O2 sensor in, and you're done.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Unfortunately I wasn't there to see the work being done so I can't comment on when it was removed and if they were manhandled or not. My wife was in labor and told me to keep my exhaust appointment :luvyou: . I made it back in time. Anyway, the exhaust has been installed since March 16 and my first code was yesterday. I reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery and the code went away. Within 30 miles, the code came back on.
Since it was working fine for the first 14 days, I'm assuming that the ghetto rigging of my downpipe flange wasn't made well enough to prevent exhaust leaks. Since there is no flex-pipe I'm hesitant to install just the flange, especially with my flex-pipe on it's way from ED. If it's just an exhaust leak and there is no harm being done to the tuning of my car, I can live with the MIL and stay out of boost. I'd hate to install the flange and then have my exhaust even more rigid and possibly get a crack in my manifold or O2 housing. I'd rather not band-aid the problem at the moment with the Non-Fouler fix and ensure that my equipment is operating correctly. Thanks to all.

The original cat was removed in favor of a Magnaflow Hi-Flow cat. From the middle of the stock cat, the O2 sensor was moved immediately downstream of the hi-flow cat.

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold), SRT of the Month
7,512 Posts
slo-car said:
Unfortunately I wasn't there to see the work being done so I can't comment on when it was removed and if they were manhandled or not. My wife was in labor and told me to keep my exhaust appointment :luvyou: . I made it back in time. Anyway, the exhaust has been installed since March 16 and my first code was yesterday. I reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery and the code went away. Within 30 miles, the code came back on.
Since it was working fine for the first 14 days, I'm assuming that the ghetto rigging of my downpipe flange wasn't made well enough to prevent exhaust leaks. Since there is no flex-pipe I'm hesitant to install just the flange, especially with my flex-pipe on it's way from ED. If it's just an exhaust leak and there is no harm being done to the tuning of my car, I can live with the MIL and stay out of boost. I'd hate to install the flange and then have my exhaust even more rigid and possibly get a crack in my manifold or O2 housing. I'd rather not band-aid the problem at the moment with the Non-Fouler fix and ensure that my equipment is operating correctly. Thanks to all.

The original cat was removed in favor of a Magnaflow Hi-Flow cat.
my car did this. ran fine for over 15k miles with using anti-spark plug fouler. then all of a sudden the code popped up. i havn't figured out what caused this yet.

nigel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts