Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
So I have a CEL [p0016], I bought the car this way and the previous owner mentioned that it did not do this until he had the timing belt done. So, I take it apart and redo the timing since it was a tooth or so off and I got it dead on. Car ran great before and ran great after i redid the timing... Until it warms up that is. After it warms up it will not rev past 3200 Rpms or so. If I turn the car off and back on it will to redline but only once. Then it's back to the 3200 rpm limit.

The previous owner had the cam and crank sensor replaced. I replaced the cam sensor as well.

I'm thinking about checking the timing belt again but I feel like it's a bad sensor or ground?? PCM?? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

What could this issue be?
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
If the magnet was not also changed with the cam sensor, i would look into that. Also, as a general rule with these cars, the cam sensor and magnet should be mopar parts, not parts store parts. I know it seems like the same thing, but people claim to have had way better luck with the mopar parts...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the magnet was not also changed with the cam sensor, i would look into that. Also, as a general rule with these cars, the cam sensor and magnet should be mopar parts, not parts store parts. I know it seems like the same thing, but people claim to have had way better luck with the mopar parts...
Thanks man, I actually used one from advance auto parts even after reading about using an OEM one :/
From other people's experiences it seems that not many get a P0016 code and it be the cam sensor. I'm going to get the OEM magnet and sensor and try that but I suspect that it's something else.

The car fires right and runs to redline with full boost with no issues before it's fully warm.

Should I also try a coil pack?
I know in the Honda world when you have a bad distributor you can have a similar symptoms with a 3000 rpm rev limit

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
I know some people have had issues that pointed towards the cam position sensor, when in fact the crank position sensor was the culprit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess my other question is: why would my car only rev to 3200 rpm after it's warmed up but not when it's still cold? Could this still point to a timing issue? Thinking I should recheck the timing just to be safe...

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
With the crank dead on, this is what my cam gears looked like.. is this enough to not be in time??
You need to rotate the engine another 180 degrees. Look at the gears and which directions the arrows are pointing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well yeah they need to say up but that's lined up even better. With the up arrows pointed down this is the worst it looks.
You need to rotate the engine another 180 degrees. Look at the gears and which directions the arrows are pointing.
Well yeah they need to say up but that's lined up even better. With the up arrows pointed down this is the worst it looks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
2 Participants
lriver1004
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing