Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I POSTED THIS IN OFF-TOPIC FIRST BUT NO RESPONSES***
Mods: Please just leave this for at least a few replies so i can get some advice!

To anyone who knows their stuff about resumes.. people in HR positions would be great to hear from, or generally anyone who is skilled in resume presentation..

There is a job oppurtunity for me at a company my friend works for. Since I graduated this past May, I have been lazy in updating my resume and getting it out so this is the first time I've touched it.

Just looking for some advice on the resume.. I checked out some resume sites but there doesnt seem to be one solid recommended way to present the information. I guess my main shortcoming is having very little professional experience in my field, short of the development of my business website.

ok here it is: http://www.es-designs.net/resume.html

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
A message from an English teacher -- You should limit the amount of skills you mention you have. If mentioned briefly, explain the amount of experience you have with each (months, years). You want to pick a few specific ones that are specified in the advertisement for the job which you are applying to. The selcted courses need to be indented just like all of the other fields. What was your GPA? Put experience above activities and awards. Since you are in the field of technology, and you are having an online resume, you may want to offer a link to a website or small proram you have created. This way the employer, if he wants to, can see your work.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
It looks ok, but I would suggest if you are a part time supervisor...

1. How many people do/did you supervise on a regular basis?
"several" doesn't sound good.
2. The maximum amount of people that you had supervised at a givin time.
3."Maintain standards for customer service and workplace safety."
(Did employee standards get better under your supervision?)
4. On the "experimental department"... Was it successful?

Employer's like to see numbers not... several, alot, many, so on and so forth.
They like to hear short success stories as well...

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys, i actually didnt catch this until after i sent it though:(

see, some of the things you guys mentioned i had thought about but couldnt think of a solution to put down:

1. i dont know much about the actual position. just that its in my field and my friend recommended me for it(he is in sales at the company so he couldnt tell me much about the other position)

2. the resume isnt presented to the employer as html, rather i posted it online as an easy way to show it here

3. the amount of people i supervise changes constantly,.. its been as little as 3 and as many as 20 or so..

some of the other stuff i didnt even think of..

oh well.. whats done is done and i appreciate the criticism. i guess all thats left now is to see what happens.(i know they are taking off tomorrow to play golf but ill be expecting a call on tuesday)

thanks again!

·
Registered
129 Posts
A little late, but here is MHO. Based on what I've done on my resumes (which will need updating again) I usually place something relevant to the position that you are seeking. Some prefer to put education up at the top. I prefer to use experience first because the person reading the resume immediately sees whether you qualify for the position or not. Then I normally list previous positions that are relevant to the position. Whenever I've sent generic resumes, I've never gotten a call back, but when I modify the resume to fit the position, I've been called almost everytime so far based on that format. I've talked to a few family members that do hiring and they tell me generic resumes usually get tossed. Working in the IT industry, you will keep your resume updated. While I like doing what I do, it's is getting old having to constantly look for a job every year or three. Not from being fired, but 'cost cutting.' Or offices being closed, or any other reason you can think off. There is no such thing as employer/employee loyalty anymore. Every employee for themselves! :soap:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Eric,
I agree with battmain...I hope these suggestions help.

I would move the education to the bottom.

I group my skills into categories like this (I know it's hard to find the right category for every skill so just pick something and go with it; refine it as time goes on):
Skills:
Web Technologies: .NET framework, ASP, C#, JavaScript, VBScript, XML
Database Development: SQL, PL/SQL, T-SQL, Design & Architecture, Oracle, SQL Server, DTS, Stored Procedures
Application Development: Visual Basic 6.0, Oracle Developer 2000 (Forms/Reports), Microsoft Access & Office
Collaboration: Defining requirements, presentations, systems and data analysis, mentoring, testing, training
Also, IMHO, it seems amateurish to include the courses in your education area (or even the category of courses) unless you received a specific certification from those courses or unless there is a specific reason to tell the reader where you were focused. Most likely, they just want to see a degree. In your case, it is especially redundant, since you have a relevant skills section.

For the es-designs.net deal, I would place that in the EXPERIENCE group, and treat it like a regular job, placing emphasis on your achievements and how you overcame the technical obstacles to pull it all together.

Objectives are kinda silly. Replace this with a PROFILE, which is a brief narrative about you. For example, here is a good one: :D
Profile: A well-rounded analytical team player and motivator who understands business processes and how to deliver
successful solutions on schedule and on budget using creativity, innovation, and standard industry tools and processes.
My IT and Operations solutions are being leveraged by Microsoft, IBM, DELL, and Solectron Corporation.
The MSWORD grammer checker gets really upset when it scans my resume because I use sentence fragments like crazy. So what - as long as the point is clear sentence fragments are usually ok on a resume, especially in the bulleted area.

Take your address and make it look like a standard mailing address in either the upper left or upper right corner, like this:
123 Your Street
Your Town, PA 19111
tel: 215.555.1212
[email protected]
Something I can't help too much with, you have to really sell yourself in your EXPERIENCE area. Talk about improvements you made in the process. Use some adjectives; you can make really simple jobs sound interesting:
• Developed robust web interfaces to simplify complex data-analysis tasks such as filtering and transposing.
The key is that you're generating an interest by the reader. If your resume is good, the reader can glance down at it and immediately start asking you questions about your work history.

Something that has worked for me is using past-tense on my bulleted areas; my sentenses start with these kinds of words:
• Developed...
• Recommended...
• Implemented...
• Designed...
• Tuned...
• Collaborated...

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can you do me a favor and edit your post to NOT include my address and phone #?

i appreciate the help but id rather not have my info posted in such an easily accessible spot..

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks its just that in my experience that once your email or phone # is listed on a web page that comes up easily in web searches that the spam emails and phone calls follow closely behind

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha it could also be good if i want to give myself a lobotomy ;)

anyway, the guy hiring for the position had already emailed me back this morning and said he would be in touch tomorrow to set up an appointment.. so now its a waiting game i suppose

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.